GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Baffling PC problem..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/09/05 at 13:52
Regular
"you've got a beard"
... all of a sudden, all of my games crash after a few minutes.
not crash out to the desktop, but do a total resetting of my machine.

to be fair, i was considering doing a rebuild soon as it is, but i'd like to know what could possibly be causing it so i can check a step at a time if/when i DO rebuild.

i'm running:

MSI KT6 Delta L mobo (1gig of ram, which i tested and is fine)
Athlon XP3000
Gforce FX5700
Windows 2000
DirectX 9c

it's utterly baffling as everything used to run fine.
i thuoght Far Cry may be crashing due to the no-cd patch i added, but then it occured to me that Star Wars Battlefront has ALWAYS crashed on one specific level (meanig i can't finish the damn thing :D )
so i installed a fresh new demo of Flatout and that crashed as well. i installed latest drivers for gforce and that seems stable now, i played it for about 10 minutes without any hassles.. but when i tried far cry again, that crashes out where it never used to.

any clues?
anyone... bueller?
Wed 05/10/05 at 21:24
Regular
"youngest regular"
im lost.....
Wed 05/10/05 at 14:44
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Nimco wrote:
> Does W2K have an Event Viewer like XP does?

Yes

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer
Tue 04/10/05 at 16:46
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
kukgv wrote:
> NERDS!

N00b :P
Mon 03/10/05 at 23:37
Regular
NERDS!
Sun 02/10/05 at 10:28
Regular
"you've got a beard"
Power supply is only a few months old.
i ran the RAM test until it said 100%.. then i had to go to bed.
i'll dry updating the mobo drivers, but it's probably about time i built a new one anyways as it scored quite badly on 3dmark05 and i need it to be a graphics monster for work.
Fri 30/09/05 at 13:10
Regular
"bing bang bong"
If you have a desk fan pushing air through your PC case at the time it shuts down then it's not overheating, unless the fan on your graphics card has failed. How sure are you that the memory is okay? How long did you run the test for?

It could also be the power supply dying.
Thu 29/09/05 at 16:20
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Ignore this!!!!
Thu 29/09/05 at 16:18
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
I find when it comes to games, the graphics card drivers are ususally to blame, as over time, as windows auto-updates itself, the drivers find themselves having to work on an operating system that may have changed quite considerably since they were written...

Solution: Always check for the latest Graphics card drivers... Oh and sometimes the soundcard and motherboard drivers can fall behind as well.

EDIT: I realise you already updated your GFX drivers... try the other components as well as a last resort you could try re-installing DirectX 9
Thu 29/09/05 at 15:31
Regular
It's normal temperature I guess.

But when you play games, those temps can go through the roof.
Thu 29/09/05 at 15:31
Regular
"you've got a beard"
hmmm, interesting.
it's leaning towards overheating then?
this is odd as i'm not putting any more work on it than usual and the case is already open with an office fan on it (so i can leave it rendering overnight sometimes) and it's never overheated before.

mobo: 49 C
CPU: 52 C

... is that good or bad?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.