GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Short Story Competition 33"

The "Creative Writing" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 25/09/05 at 15:01
Regular
"Laughingstock"
The theme/topic is:

Alchemy

That is, anything to do with transformation, transmutation, transfiguration, transmogrification, metamorphosis, alteration, etc.

But I've used the word Alchemy (the so-called magical process of turning base metal into gold - you probably knew that!) because I'd prefer entries to be about "improving" transformation as opposed evil or gruesome transformation.

Having said that, do whatever you want - though I will look more favourably on the ones which have a positive slant (because that seems trickier to pull off).

Having said that, do whatever you like!

Closing date: around October 10th.

----------------

Result

3rd: The Darknest Hour - Prophet.
I like the way it progresses: from the eerie bewilderment of the waiting room, to the bedside, to the numbness in the car park, to the positive outcome. Every stage is expressed concisely yet with depth.

2nd: For Precious Gold! - Meka Dragon.
Enjoyed the dark, old world scene, the alchemic details, the ruffians :-), and the tension of the story with it's surprising and clever ending.

1st: A Sunset Across The Waves - Stryke.
Loved this. The imagery of the sunset and the sea, the scrawling of symbols in the sand, the voice of the character with his slightly cynical tone, and the mysterious, magical finish. My personal favourite, and that's why it won.
Tue 11/10/05 at 22:41
Regular
"Laughingstock"
It's always difficult to pick a top three. spoonbeast's had a certain something. Rickoss' had the usual dreamlike quality. And El Tombo's was very well-written I thought. Who is El Tombo I wonder? Certain phrases reminded me of someone.
Tue 11/10/05 at 18:51
Regular
Well done Stryke and others, shall read the winners sdometime soon.
Tue 11/10/05 at 18:35
"Retarded List"
Well done Stryke. I think that was my favourite this time.

Cheers Black Glove. Darkest Hour did better than I thought it would!
Tue 11/10/05 at 16:06
Regular
"Catch it!"
Well done Stryke hope I win the new one.
Tue 11/10/05 at 14:53
Regular
Ineedsleep wrote:
> We'll not hear the end of
> this. It's his third win in about 7 stories :D

--

Me? Gloat? Never.

I am awesome, though.

Ta muchly, BG. I didn't think it was one of my best, to be honest. I spend too much time trying to write another story with Boba Fett :)

New SSC to do. Cool.
Tue 11/10/05 at 13:04
Regular
"not dead"
Thanks BG, well done Stryke.
Tue 11/10/05 at 11:36
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
And I think we all know which...
Tue 11/10/05 at 10:05
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Black Glove wrote:
> Results in the original post.

... but they weren't! I thought I was going blind or daft(er)

:)

EDIT: Oh and well done Stryke et al. We'll not hear the end of this. It's his third win in about 7 stories :D
Tue 11/10/05 at 08:58
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Tue 11/10/05 at 08:44
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.