GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"History people..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 23/09/05 at 20:05
Regular
"8==="
Just caught the end of some history programme that said the Saxons were invaders of Britain.

Obviously my rough knowledge of history only goes back so far as I hadn't given it much thought and assumed the Saxons had always been there (whenever you hear about them it's something to do with them being on British soil - so it never occured to me they might've come from elsewhere and not been part of the general population).

So anyway, my question is:

Where did the Saxons come from if they're not originally from Britain?

I could google it, but I thought this would be more interesting. :)
Sat 24/09/05 at 00:50
Regular
I had a friend who's dad claimed to have a close Celtic lineage.
Fri 23/09/05 at 21:50
Regular
strange, no one ever really conquers the Celts
Fri 23/09/05 at 21:45
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
Ah, horrible history... you really brighten my day.

:D
Fri 23/09/05 at 21:19
Regular
"0228"
RoJ wrote:
> Hengest died (killed by Horsa) and Horsa took over and began to fight
> the local Britons. It's something like that yeah?

I can't see anything about Hengest being killed by Horsa but they aren't the most detailed books so you could be right. In fact, Horsa doesn't appear to be a particularly important person at all.

The basic story is that Vortigern (Brits' leader) asked the Saxons to help fend off the Scots and Irish. This worked but after a while Hengest began demanding something in return. Vortigern wasn't keen on this idea so told the Saxons to go home. Then Ambrosius, a Roman Briton, began to rebel against Vortigern. Vortigern was in deep poop and needed help so who did he call, the Saxons of course.

Hengest returned with muchos warriors and his daughter. There was a big feast, Vortigern asked Hengest if he could marry his daughter. Vortigern gave Hengest Kent (which wasn't his to give away) for Hengest's daughter's hand in marriage. From Kent, Hengest was ready to take over Britain and many violent attacks were made.

He had many of Vortigern's top generals and priests killed and Vortigern's son, Vortemir. Vortigern lived but was hated by everybody in Britain. The Saxons ruled Britain.

The next chapter's about superstitions so I don't know what happens next.
Fri 23/09/05 at 21:15
Regular
Basically, celts (up to about 50 CE) > romans (until about 410) > anglo saxons (until about 800) > normon invasion (vikings and stuff until about 1000)

And there were obv people before the celts, but they were crap.
Fri 23/09/05 at 21:06
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
I always thought they were always here as well.

Damn foreigners.
Fri 23/09/05 at 21:02
Regular
"8==="
Ah, so this would be during the muddled dark ages then?

Explains why I thought the Saxons had seemed to always been there.

*Dark ages end*

"Hello we're the Saxons and we've always been here *wink wink*"
Fri 23/09/05 at 20:56
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Hengest died (killed by Horsa) and Horsa took over and began to fight the local Britons. It's something like that yeah?
Fri 23/09/05 at 20:53
Regular
"0228"
Hedfix wrote:
> So which race was the main one to finish off the Romans then?

According to the book, the Romans just pished off to Rome in 410 AD for no real reason. I'm sure there's more to it than that but I can't be bothered to find out what. Anyway, in 449 AD, the Brits were fed up of Scots and Irishmen trying to invade Britain so they hired these guys called Hengest and Horsa from Jutland to protect them. The Saxon blokes began to enjoy living in Britain and so they moved in.
Fri 23/09/05 at 20:47
Regular
The Saxons were basically the Viking countries, they came from places like Norway and Sweden aswell as Germany and (what we now call) Austria.

I also own the horrible history book but JFH has already quoted it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.