GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Kingdom Under Fire: Heroes"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 19/09/05 at 18:20
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Are any of you guys buying this ? I'll definatly be getting it ! Ever since I played the old game I've been dying to play as Moreen - so much that I even emailed the developer on their site practically begging them to add her as a playable character somehow like downloadable content (yeah I know - NEEEEEEERRRRRD !!!!).

So now shes in it, I'm happy and content. ;-) A combination of this game and Battlefront 2 will definatly keep me happy till the 360 comes out and even then I'll no doubt still play them alot.

But I'm wondering if anyone on here is getting it. Six players online in 3 vs 3 mode and by the looks of it, also a co-op mode ! Come on guys, I want to make sure I have a couple of online partners for the game so we can kick the hell outta everyone. :-)
Mon 19/09/05 at 18:20
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Are any of you guys buying this ? I'll definatly be getting it ! Ever since I played the old game I've been dying to play as Moreen - so much that I even emailed the developer on their site practically begging them to add her as a playable character somehow like downloadable content (yeah I know - NEEEEEEERRRRRD !!!!).

So now shes in it, I'm happy and content. ;-) A combination of this game and Battlefront 2 will definatly keep me happy till the 360 comes out and even then I'll no doubt still play them alot.

But I'm wondering if anyone on here is getting it. Six players online in 3 vs 3 mode and by the looks of it, also a co-op mode ! Come on guys, I want to make sure I have a couple of online partners for the game so we can kick the hell outta everyone. :-)
Mon 19/09/05 at 23:59
Regular
"8==="
Might get it.

Haven't played the original yet, although I do own it.
Tue 20/09/05 at 01:19
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
"Might" eh ? Well thats a start - some rope and a board with a nail in should help with the rest of the convincing. ;-)
Tue 20/09/05 at 01:22
Regular
"8==="
You're always on other games to the ones I'm playing though. :P
Tue 20/09/05 at 01:42
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Well with the 360 coming, I'm not shopping for many new games now. The only XBox titles I intend to buy from now till 360 launch are KUF Heroes and Battlefront 2. I'm bored with LMA now - Inter Essex have dominated the world to the point where I'm just bored with it. ;-)

Online wise, I'll be playing Summit Strike, Battlefront and Halo 2. So if you wanna play any of those I'll be free to get on. ;-) Well, until KUF in a couple of weeks anyway. Even then I'll probably still play those others though - cause no doubt my cousin will wanna play them and will be too stingy to get KUF.
Thu 06/10/05 at 08:10
Regular
"8==="
Right I've claimed it as a GAD now so you'd better be playing it! :P
Sat 08/10/05 at 16:36
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Nice one ! ;-) Prepare for a kicking from the CPU if you haven't played the original - I'll try to help you along the one player stuff with tips and everything. This game seems to have been made for fans like me - they haven't really considered new players.

The original used the first few missions of Gerald and Lucretia to show you how to control everything - plus you could always do the training bits between missions as it was an option along with the other bits to do (barracks, pub, etc.

The training option seems to be gone from this one and it pretty much throws you in at the deep end. I'm fine with it, but if you're starting out it might seem a bit overwhelming. It does however give you other little tips - like placing archers on high ground for an advantage.

Heres a few pointers to get you started...

When you hold down the right trigger, it'll bring up the mini map to basically point and click on where you want units to go, or click on enemies for that unit to engage them. However, holding the left trigger lets you do routes through waypoints - which is key when using the cavalry. Make sure you get a heavy cavalry built up cause they can do some great damage (just don't have them steam through where Orc Axemen or Human Spearmen are present). Use the way point system to have them charge through and carry on running (don't make the last click you do for them be on an enemy - or they'll just charge them, then sit there to take a beating. Make sure you click a final waypoint that makes them run to a safe area away from battle).

Upgrade units at a barracks - DO NOT just concentrate on upgrading your main hero - you'll need your increasing army to all be at a decent level. You can also give units new jobs to be stronger in their field (once you select a unit, use the left thumbstick to highlight the main troops at the back, then press on them to see the option jobs). Look carefully at all the different units you can have and they'll show you what criteria you need to meet to upgrade the units job. For exmaple, look at your hero's troop and you'll notice that to upgrade them to heavy infantry, the leader of the units skill (in this case your hero), will have to have a melee rating of 10. Once you have this, simply goto the job area with the soldiers, highlight "heavy cavalry" and click on it. It costs nothing to change a units job, just as long as the leader meets the criteria needed.

If you wanna build a new unit (specifically a support unit cause they don't seem to just be given to you like other units), venture into the pub and hire a mercenary. You'll notice they have the ability to learn alot of different skills, unlike most leaders you get. Plus different species tend to have access to different jobs - i.e - a bunch of Orcs couldn't be changed into Dark Elf Knights. Try looking at what job you're aiming for, make a note of the criteria thats needed, then when looking at merceneries, look at what skills they can learn that match up - plus some might even already have a few levels of what you want, which will save you spending so many precious EXP points to get them where they need to be. A merc will cost around 3000 in money, so don't go spending all your cash on stuff if you plan on building a new unit. Once you buy a merc, they stay with you for good - not just one mission.

When your fighting a troop, feel free to have your archers fire into the crowd as for some odd reason, your guys can't be injured by friendly fire - same goes for the enemy though. If your facing that problem, try leaving the fight, and run at the archers to take them out. Chances are you'll be fighting archers AND whatever unit you had before unless they're kept busy by another unit - but its better to face archers like that than taking arrows. ;-)

Use flame arrows for enemies in trees to burn the sods - but be careful, this WILL hurt any friendly units that are fightig in that spot. Plus fire spreads fast - so if your using that tactic, make sure your in a position where you're either out the way, or can run if need be.

Do pretty much all of your unit moving with the mini map - its alot better than trying to spin around with the camera. Press the back button if you want the minimap to be constantly up - instead of holding down one of the triggers (just hold L trigger to still do waypoints). But remember to press back again when your hero gets into a fight - you can't control them in combat while the minimap is up.

When fighting Scorpions in melee, get inbetween their claws and bash their face in with a few combos to down them quickly. Also, always try to take out an enemies unit leader, as this will end the fight quicker. Its not always easy to spot them, but keep an eye out for a red life bar on any trooper, as thats another way of spotting them - it usually comes up when you hit them. ;-)
When engaging catapaults - don't attack the actual catapaults, kill the troops that make the unit, again, take out the leader if you spot him.

Swamp Mammoths - beautiful when they're on your side, scum sucking pigs when they're not. You'll need support units to take this thing out. Running at it is basically suicide. I basically kicked major butt in the original game on the last Lucretia mission, just by using a scout to spot units, then using the Mammoth to wipe them out - its that devastating.
Most missions that have one of these behemoths in tend to have ally support units to counter it, make sure you protect them. Remember though, this won't be the case online against other players - so make sure you build yourself something to counter such a threat as early as possible. Better still, be the Dark Legion like me and get around to building your own Swamp Mammoth. ;-)

Units that are engaged in fighting CANNOT use magic unless they have a mage in the unit. So if some pain in the backside archer unit is casting nasty meteor spells on you, get some type of unit to engage them in close quarters ASAP - even if its not a unit thats great for close combat. They should buy you enough time to finish off the unit your fighting, then move to take out the engaged archers (Remember to use heal spells if possible before you enter combat if you need to - especially for any units that might have taken damage while using this strategy).

Mages can cast spells during combat, which is definatly a bonus. Try and get one with a heal spell - it can be a lifesaver in emergencies. You'll find these guys in the pub (they're mercs). They're not noted as mages - but if you're playing as the good guys, look for the blokes with skull caps or hoods. If you're the Dark Legion, look for the liches (look like the grim reaper).

Curse magic can lead to spells like dark mist - use this to stop an annoying unit casting spells.

When being run at by cavalry - hope you have your Orc Axemen or Spearmen - make sure you stand your attacked units behind these guys and let them do their damage. Orc Axemen DEVASTATE cavalry, bear that in mind whichever side of that equasion affects you. ;-)

Finally, try to make sure your main hero unit and your archer unit both have holy magic (heal spells), that way the two can support eachother and other units. Particularly your archers, because most of the time (if things are going well), they won't be engaged in close combat and can freely heal friendly units while supporting them with arrows.

Hope at least some of that helps (and doesn't just put you to sleep !)
;-)
Sat 08/10/05 at 16:38
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Oh by the way - I won't be online with this till the beginning of the week - gotta look after my friend's dog till tomorrow night. So I'm just playing through the campaigns. Beat Ellen's, now halfway through Rupert's. Fighting my way to unlock Morene. ;-)

Oh and as far as I know, you don't need to unlock these characters to be them online - just have to unlock their single player campaigns. ;-)
Sat 08/10/05 at 16:50
Regular
"8==="
Well SR have yet to even confirm my choice on the GAD win board so it might be a while 'til I get my copy.

I does say it's in stock though. :)

I have the original so at-least I can start that and get some practice in.
Sat 08/10/05 at 16:54
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Great stuff. ;-) Apparently the co-op in this is a kind of endurance mode where you team up together to survive as longas possible and get on the scoreboard. Hopefully we'll be right up there. ;-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.