GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Couple of iPod questions"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 18/09/05 at 20:42
Regular
"That's right!"
Y'know I've had my iPod a while now, almost a year, but there's still some stuff that bothers me.

One, it tends to freeze from time to time - it stops playing and won't turn off, the screen just freezes and it doesn't go off until the battery dies (a bit annoying when you've just charged it up the day before) A mate at work said you just have to restart it, but since it's frozen you can't do that. I remember I plugged it into my PC once and stuck iTunes on in the hope it would kick in, I don't remember what happened but I know it didn't work. It's frozen about 5 or 6 times and always seems to happen when I need it the most (when I've got a journey ahead of me)

Two, it doesn't seem to like certain songs. Some songs of an album it will skip over, other albums it won't play at all, it just runs through them all without playing then returns to the main menu as if it were finished. Any reason why it does it? Anyway I can fix it? Re-code the MP3s or something? Is there anything in particular you can do to an MP3 to stop this happening?

Three, sometimes it will skip the first song of an album once I've started playing it, when this happens I can set it back to the beginning and it will play it fine but it's a bit annoying having to dig it out of my back pocket after I've just finished stuffing it in there and adjusting the headphones so they don't pull my ears off.

It's a 40 gig beast, less than a year old but it's always had these problems.
Sun 18/09/05 at 22:21
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
How to reset an iPod:

Put hold on, put hold off, then hold play/pause and menu together. That will still work if it's frozen.

The problem with your iPod not playing certain songs may be due to them being slightly screwed. Download a program called Ashampoo, this will scan your music collection and fix any broken songs by re-encoding them. It stopped this happening with me.

As for the song skipping, is your iPod 3rd or 4th Generation (ie. Are the buttons touch-sensitive, or are they placed inside the wheel and click?). If it's third (ie. touch sensitive, and the buttons are placed above the wheel) it's likely you're touching the skip button, or something is setting it off (your case, maybe?). This happened to me, before I made sure the case didn't do it in the future.

Hope that helps MoJo-man.
Sun 18/09/05 at 21:36
Regular
"Mozzy"
Twain wrote:
> To fix it after freezing as mentioned in problem 1, take the battery
> out and reinsert it.

Hehe...the ipod's battery is hard to get to...
Sun 18/09/05 at 21:05
Regular
Most lang-haul flights to places like Thailand offer the option of watching a film on the flight, so you could do something. If all else fails go Bohemian and read a book.

Anyway, I don't have an iPod so I can't comment on one but for two I may have an idea. On my Zen touch I remembered it was skipping out some tracks and it turned out that, simply, if you copied them off a CD then you may not have acquired the license required to play the track and that's even more likely if you downloaded the song, because the license isn't always copied over.

Of course you may have them in the wrong file format or the data maybe corrupt.
Sun 18/09/05 at 21:04
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
To fix it after freezing as mentioned in problem 1, take the battery out and reinsert it.

Sorry, I don't actually have any experience of Ipods. I just thought it was a logical idea.
Sun 18/09/05 at 21:00
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Hold Play and Menu together for 5 seconds.

It'll take you a couple of goes to do it though, as the pad(s) are very sensitive, and so it will perform the function of the play/menu button, instead of combining them.
Sun 18/09/05 at 20:49
Regular
"Mozzy"
how do you reset it? I have the same problem as problem 2. :(
Sun 18/09/05 at 20:48
Regular
"That's right!"
Cheers, I'll give it a go if it happens again.

I just don't want it to happen when I'm flying 10 hours to Thailand, leaving me with not much else to do.
Sun 18/09/05 at 20:45
Regular
"The Red Shift"
I've experiences 1 and 2.

1: yes you can reset it, even though it is frozen.

2: plug it onto the charger. Then turn off. Then turn on and reset.
Sun 18/09/05 at 20:42
Regular
"That's right!"
Y'know I've had my iPod a while now, almost a year, but there's still some stuff that bothers me.

One, it tends to freeze from time to time - it stops playing and won't turn off, the screen just freezes and it doesn't go off until the battery dies (a bit annoying when you've just charged it up the day before) A mate at work said you just have to restart it, but since it's frozen you can't do that. I remember I plugged it into my PC once and stuck iTunes on in the hope it would kick in, I don't remember what happened but I know it didn't work. It's frozen about 5 or 6 times and always seems to happen when I need it the most (when I've got a journey ahead of me)

Two, it doesn't seem to like certain songs. Some songs of an album it will skip over, other albums it won't play at all, it just runs through them all without playing then returns to the main menu as if it were finished. Any reason why it does it? Anyway I can fix it? Re-code the MP3s or something? Is there anything in particular you can do to an MP3 to stop this happening?

Three, sometimes it will skip the first song of an album once I've started playing it, when this happens I can set it back to the beginning and it will play it fine but it's a bit annoying having to dig it out of my back pocket after I've just finished stuffing it in there and adjusting the headphones so they don't pull my ears off.

It's a 40 gig beast, less than a year old but it's always had these problems.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.