GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Couple of iPod questions"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 18/09/05 at 20:42
Regular
"That's right!"
Y'know I've had my iPod a while now, almost a year, but there's still some stuff that bothers me.

One, it tends to freeze from time to time - it stops playing and won't turn off, the screen just freezes and it doesn't go off until the battery dies (a bit annoying when you've just charged it up the day before) A mate at work said you just have to restart it, but since it's frozen you can't do that. I remember I plugged it into my PC once and stuck iTunes on in the hope it would kick in, I don't remember what happened but I know it didn't work. It's frozen about 5 or 6 times and always seems to happen when I need it the most (when I've got a journey ahead of me)

Two, it doesn't seem to like certain songs. Some songs of an album it will skip over, other albums it won't play at all, it just runs through them all without playing then returns to the main menu as if it were finished. Any reason why it does it? Anyway I can fix it? Re-code the MP3s or something? Is there anything in particular you can do to an MP3 to stop this happening?

Three, sometimes it will skip the first song of an album once I've started playing it, when this happens I can set it back to the beginning and it will play it fine but it's a bit annoying having to dig it out of my back pocket after I've just finished stuffing it in there and adjusting the headphones so they don't pull my ears off.

It's a 40 gig beast, less than a year old but it's always had these problems.
Thu 22/09/05 at 15:11
"High polygon count"
tnc wrote:
> If you saw a good deal off eBay you could just go with the poor man's
> option of a Cheque or Postal Order.

So there we have it folks!

The one person in the known universe who would actually recommend buying expensive electronics via eBay.
Tue 20/09/05 at 21:15
Regular
I'd prefer Cash, it may cause some problems when lost but I've paid for at least 10 transactions and no money has been lost.

The good thing with cash is that it's right there for you. Cheques and Postal Orders are good but require cashing. From a sellers perspective Paypal is good as they have the money instantly and can use it to buy things.

One of the only 'concerns' I have with a Postal Order is going to the (inevitably closed) Post Office and then paying more than the actual amount when I could get a Cheque for free.
Tue 20/09/05 at 21:11
Regular
"...y'crazy fool!"
Its no crime to pay by cheque...from a seller's perspective Paypal is awful for fees - if I was a regular seller I'd prefer cheques (despite the hassle of going to the bank).
Tue 20/09/05 at 20:45
Regular
If you saw a good deal off eBay you could just go with the poor man's option of a Cheque or Postal Order.

Other than that I'd suggest looking into a store that sells CDs cheaply and stocks accesories.
Tue 20/09/05 at 20:42
Regular
"That's right!"
Indeed. And now the covering's coming away on the headphone wire.

All I want is another pair of iPod headphones (ebay's out the window right now, hit my paypal limit) and everywhere I look has huge hideous things for stupid amounts of money.
Mon 19/09/05 at 21:19
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Chipseh wrote:

> The problem with your iPod not playing certain songs may be due to
> them being slightly screwed. Download a program called Ashampoo,
> this will scan your music collection and fix any broken songs by
> re-encoding them. It stopped this happening with me.

Not true all the time. I had it. Then I did as I said, and the same songs all worked perfectly.
>
> As for the song skipping, is your iPod 3rd or 4th Generation (ie. Are
> the buttons touch-sensitive, or are they placed inside the wheel and
> click?). If it's third (ie. touch sensitive, and the buttons are
> placed above the wheel) it's likely you're touching the skip button,
> or something is setting it off (your case, maybe?). This happened to
> me, before I made sure the case didn't do it in the future.

I've had the same problem as Mojo and it has nothing to do with accidentally pushing buttons etc.

Ipods are weird things.
Mon 19/09/05 at 17:02
Regular
"-_-"
I've had mine two and a bit years now, on mine (touch sensitive scroll wheel and touch sensitive buttons (3rd gen?) you press menu and play for 5 seconds to reset, dont know if you can do that with the click wheel ones though:S

Oh yeh i started syncing with my itunes library on my other pc (it didnt have anything in it) and it seemed to clear half the songs on the ipod, but that registered them as they were still on. So it just skipped through the songs, and when i synced my ipod it didnt pick up the problem, so i found my ye olde updater wizard thing and restored the factory settings, updated, and added all my songs again. Don't know if thatll help with your problem, but worht a try when you have nothing better to do :D
Mon 19/09/05 at 16:59
Regular
"That's right!"
"Most lang-haul flights to places like Thailand offer the option of watching a film on the flight, so you could do something. If all else fails go Bohemian and read a book."

I know, I've been before, but the films are on tiny screens, they're usually crap (like Hulk or League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) and you're interrupted every five minutes by someone wanting to get past or the hostess bugging you to drink more coffee.

My iPod, Nintendo DS (Advance Wars 2!) and Jaws (the book, which I've had since I was about 12, have started reading about 10 times and never finished, despite it being good) shall keep me entertained.

Anyway, cheers all, I'll remember the reset thing.
Mon 19/09/05 at 06:58
Regular
Min broke precisely a Year after I bought it.

Not surprising since I use to launch it at walls for freezing though. It was lost down one of my car seats for Months too.

I hate iPods.

But yeah, the Menu+Play reset method works even if it's frozen.
Mon 19/09/05 at 01:29
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
I seem to be lucky, my 3rd gen iPod ive had for about 2 years now, and its still in great condition, never freezes like alot of peoples do, the battery runs for as long as it should, it turns on and off fine and doesnt freeze the computer (but then i use a mac, so it wouldnt)
They seem to come in many forms, good and bad.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.