GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Congrats To Comedy"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 07/06/01 at 11:23
Regular
Many genres of Television and Film are made to perfection, to suit the viewer and the setting. Action does this by having high speed scenes which are made to thrill and excite you and the genre of romance has slow, passionate scenes. All of these genres are pretty easy to achieve for the scriptwriter and the director but there is one genre that I feel is not as easy to produce.

Pulling a joke is not an easy thing and comedy does this ten times over. I’m sure many of you have said something to someone and they don’t find it funny. In fact, I’m sure it’s happened many a time. That’s the thing, when someone watches’s action they know what to expect, fast paced scenes with guns and non-stop off the edge of your seat action. But, when someone watch’s a comedy they do not know what to expect from it, sure there will be gags but will they be up to scratch?

People have many different views on comedy, an 85 year old may find jokes about the war funny when a teenager wouldn’t, whilst a teenager would find aspects to young teenage life funny when an 85 year old wouldn’t. What I am trying to say here is that comedy does well to make everyone laugh, to keep up its ratings on TV and to carry on finding new ways to do this. If anything, comedy is the genre that does appeal to people but not all types of it, the same cannot be said about other genres.

When I see programmes such as ‘Faulty Towers’ and ‘Only Fools & Horses’ I still laugh, even though I have seen them so many times before. Its amazing how comedy programmes still run on the air for so many years, being repeated over and over but we still love to watch them. I think this may be because of the quotes and characters that are created are some that will always stick in people’s minds.

In the future I hope comedy will continue and programmes and films that match the likes of ‘Faulty Towers’ and ‘Dumb & Dumber’ continue to be produced.

Hats off to comedy and congrats to it, not only for achieving to do so well in such a hard to create genre but also for making us laugh and smile when we need it.

Anyone got a favourite comedy moment? If so, share it :0)
Thu 07/06/01 at 12:04
"Uzi Lover"
I like the ways of spontanous comedy, where you don't know what will happen next. It would be intresting to see if many genres could be put togther that involve comedy, i can think of man other combinations of genres but none comedy really.

Anyone know a film that involves many genres together?
Thu 07/06/01 at 11:56
I agree that ordinarily the best form of humour is witty, word based comedy.. like fawlty towers,etc.. but we can't forget that fawlty towers, monty python, blackadder and just about every british comedy series contains a good deal of slapstick too. I think this is to lighten the atmosphere a little as purely word based comedy with no visual humour would bore the crap out of most people. Thats why i find the likes of monty python so mind boggling.. they managed to make witty humour often incorporating political or social comment BUT they manage to be as childish and ridiculous as ever. I think that is where comedy is at its best, when a real situation is taken and layered with jokes but also, the objective isnt JUST to get a laugh.. eg the life of brian was funny as hell (the best python film i think) but it was also trying to draw attention to what it was mocking.. ie the way people blindly follow religion. I have to say that nowadays although there is still great comedy which is still very cleverly written (league of gentlemen being my personal favourite) we seem to be lacking in humour with something to say.. and i find that that tends to make humour all the more lasting and funnier because it isnt so far from the truth. Comedy is a good way of pointing out flaws in society because if you're planning on having people take in what you're saying.. they're more likely to watch a python style sketch than panorama or something. But my personal favourites of recent comedy have to be: The fast show, big train, smack the pony and league of gentlemen. My apologies if i have sapped your will to live with the length of this message, i hadn't realised i'd written this much :o)
Thu 07/06/01 at 11:56
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Not everyone likes the same comedy, that is why we have so much variety. The Germans would find something funny that we would find very boring.
Thu 07/06/01 at 11:53
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Germans are notorious for a complete lack of humour.

However, their number one selling male vocalist artist of all time is David Hasslehoff.
So there must be some sense of chuckle to them.
Thu 07/06/01 at 11:50
"Uzi Lover"
Jim Carey is my favourite actor, only because he makes me laugh. But his roles are quite limited I think, the way in which he establishs his character.

German sense of humor, hmmmmm all about sideburns and sausages isn't it?
Thu 07/06/01 at 11:35
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I personally prefer verbal humour to slapstick.
I think that's why I detest Jim Carrey so much, I've seen his act before when Jerry Lewis did it 30 years ago.

It's hard to define comedy, like you've said, one thing that I might collapse over leaves another person scratching their head in bemusement.

The one thing that seperates different types of comedy, and where the UK and USA differ is irony and sarcasm.
England is noted for it's ironic, dry humour whilst the U$A opts for simpler, more obvious (and some say more innocent) form of amusement.

I think that's why the films that do the most business in the States are comedies, because that is one area that we outperform most other countries in.
Mind you, we have to with political leaders like ours, ancient and antiquated laws, retarded moral standards etc etc, we need a quite nasty sense of humour to survive.

One of my personal fav comedy movies is "Withnail & I".
It is written to perfection and delights in the comedy of pain.
But then the quote is "Pain x Time = Comedy", which I think makes sense.

There is something called "Schaudenfraude", which translates into "the enjoyment of other's suffering in a light manner" which, I think, gives English Comedy it's bite.

It's why you sit and watch "People falling over on video" and laugh the hardest when kids get smacked by swings etc.
It is simply funny-as-hell to watch other people end up in some kind of calamity.

US sitcoms utilise teams of writers to come up (sometimes) with witty, gentle humour, whilst UK delights in quite viscious comedy: Bottom, The Young Ones, Monty Python, Men Behaving Badly etc.

There's just something...sharper to UK humour, which is why Americans don't get you most of the time if you go for a holiday there and try sarcasm or irony.
The U$A don't have an equivalent term for "taking the p**s".

But then Germans have no word for "fluffy", which proves that they lack any sense of humour whatsoever.
Thu 07/06/01 at 11:23
"Uzi Lover"
Many genres of Television and Film are made to perfection, to suit the viewer and the setting. Action does this by having high speed scenes which are made to thrill and excite you and the genre of romance has slow, passionate scenes. All of these genres are pretty easy to achieve for the scriptwriter and the director but there is one genre that I feel is not as easy to produce.

Pulling a joke is not an easy thing and comedy does this ten times over. I’m sure many of you have said something to someone and they don’t find it funny. In fact, I’m sure it’s happened many a time. That’s the thing, when someone watches’s action they know what to expect, fast paced scenes with guns and non-stop off the edge of your seat action. But, when someone watch’s a comedy they do not know what to expect from it, sure there will be gags but will they be up to scratch?

People have many different views on comedy, an 85 year old may find jokes about the war funny when a teenager wouldn’t, whilst a teenager would find aspects to young teenage life funny when an 85 year old wouldn’t. What I am trying to say here is that comedy does well to make everyone laugh, to keep up its ratings on TV and to carry on finding new ways to do this. If anything, comedy is the genre that does appeal to people but not all types of it, the same cannot be said about other genres.

When I see programmes such as ‘Faulty Towers’ and ‘Only Fools & Horses’ I still laugh, even though I have seen them so many times before. Its amazing how comedy programmes still run on the air for so many years, being repeated over and over but we still love to watch them. I think this may be because of the quotes and characters that are created are some that will always stick in people’s minds.

In the future I hope comedy will continue and programmes and films that match the likes of ‘Faulty Towers’ and ‘Dumb & Dumber’ continue to be produced.

Hats off to comedy and congrats to it, not only for achieving to do so well in such a hard to create genre but also for making us laugh and smile when we need it.

Anyone got a favourite comedy moment? If so, share it :0)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.