GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Metallica question"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 16/09/05 at 10:17
Regular
"lets go back"
Ive never been a fan of Metallica and thought it was about time I listened to some of their music. Whats their best/most popular album. I've heard that St. Anger isn't that good and that possibly Master of Puppets or The Black Album are better. What would any of you Metallica fans recomend me to get first?
Fri 16/09/05 at 20:45
Regular
"You've upset me"
Megadeth.

Don't like Metallica/Megadeth/Pantera/any of that kind of music but people spelling that wrong just annoys me.
Fri 16/09/05 at 20:41
Regular
I knew it was Dimebag and that he did guitaring but I was thrown a little by the fact that he sings a little and not being entirely sure who the singer was.

I liked Cowboys from Hell as a song, twas rather class.

Megadeath sound like a nice friendly band ...
Fri 16/09/05 at 20:31
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Magical Trevor wrote:
> Bob_The_Moose wrote:
> Justice is the best one but harder to get into than the rest.
>
> Something like The Black Album is easy to get into, but there is a
> whole load of filler on there.
>
> Nah. Only bad song is The Struggle Within. Call me boring, but its
> the black album all the way.

Holier Than Thou, Don't Tread On Me, The God That Failed and The Struggle Within, in my opinion are a bit half assed compared to the rest of the stuff on there. The black album feels as if it follows a formula all the way through, which is a bit lame really.

tnc wrote:
> I've always liked Hammet's guitar riffs and the lyrics of the
> Metallica songs but I've somehow never really 'got into' them as I
> have done with other bands. They are undoubtedly brilliant but I
> really haven't listened to much of their stuff, I only have Seek and
> Destroy and Enter the Sandman on my mp3 player :(

Enter Sandman, not The. Kirk Hammet plays lead, and most of the riffs are Hetfield's. Although I'm pretty sure Kirk came up with the Enter Sandman riff.

> Metallica's rivals, if you want to call them that, are Pantera.
> Obviously they split up a bit back (and the lead singer was shot
> quite recently)

Dude... that was Dimebag, he was the guitarist.

Edit: But what you really want instead of this Metallica nonsense, is Megadeth.
Fri 16/09/05 at 20:21
Regular
Great minds think alike, as they say.

Pantera are truly a fantastic band, which I suppose inspired you to listen to Metallica?
Fri 16/09/05 at 20:14
Regular
"lets go back"
Its as though you are reading my mind. Pantera are another band I've recently decided to start listening to. I've already had some recomemdations for them though, so no need to bother telling me whats best.
Fri 16/09/05 at 20:04
Regular
I've always liked Hammet's guitar riffs and the lyrics of the Metallica songs but I've somehow never really 'got into' them as I have done with other bands. They are undoubtedly brilliant but I really haven't listened to much of their stuff, I only have Seek and Destroy and Enter the Sandman on my mp3 player :(

From the extracts I've heard at friend's houses Ride the Lightning is the one to go for, simply because of some the Metallica characterising riffs, but Kill 'Em All is also brilliance.

Metallica's rivals, if you want to call them that, are Pantera. Obviously they split up a bit back (and the lead singer was shot quite recently) and so they're not recent but they're every bit as good as Metallica. I'm not going to play favourites as I hold them both in equal regard; I only mention it simply to say you should have a listen to some of their tracks (I like the lyrics of Drag the Waters, for example)
Fri 16/09/05 at 19:56
Regular
"I like beef"
Bob_The_Moose wrote:
> Justice is the best one but harder to get into than the rest.
>
> Something like The Black Album is easy to get into, but there is a
> whole load of filler on there.

Nah. Only bad song is The Struggle Within. Call me boring, but its the black album all the way.

Load, Master o' Puppets and ...And Justice are pretty good, too.
Fri 16/09/05 at 18:36
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Justice is the best one but harder to get into than the rest.

Something like The Black Album is easy to get into, but there is a whole load of filler on there.
I wouldn't bother with anything after the black ablum except Live Sh*t and S&M, both are live albums, Live Sh*t is from the tour after the black album and is awesome. The release I have of it is a 3 CD and 2 DVD thing, oh and one of the DVDs coves a show from the Justice tour. In my opinion, the whole thing is the best live album I've ever heard/watched. The DVD from TBA tour is like a 3 hour show or something, it's insane.

S&M is what they did with an orchestra, which is impressive but they were playing the wrong songs most of the time really.

But anyway, go with Puppets or Ride The Lightning first, I would say. Kill Em All is pretty awesome too but the production is simplistic and might be offputting.
Fri 16/09/05 at 17:17
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Master Of Puppets > Ride The Lightning > ...And Justice For All > Black Album > Re-Load > Kill Em All > Garage Inc. > Load > St Anger

They're all superb of course (maybe apart from St Anger), but that's the order of superbness.
Fri 16/09/05 at 11:08
Regular
"Less chat...More ha"
DreamWarBird wrote:
> ...And Justice for All.

I concur!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.