GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Revolution controller revealed"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 16/09/05 at 04:01
Regular
"8==="
[URL]http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/09/15/news_6133335.html[/URL]

Ummmm...

Picture of the controller:

[URL]http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/09/15/screens_6133335.html?page=3[/URL]

Analogue stick expansion (phew):

[URL]http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/09/15/screens_6133335.html?page=4[/URL]

More pictures:

[URL]http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/09/15/screenindex_6133335.html[/URL]

Controller game demos:

[URL]http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-15143-2567-x-x-x[/URL]

1st Article for the lazy people:

"Though the Nintendo Revolution was partially unveiled at this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo, its controller is the final piece of the venerable hardware manufacturer's next-generation puzzle. Speculation about the device has run rampant, because its manufacturer has made a point of keeping it well hidden. Nintendo has chosen only to drop hints that it would be an integral part of the Revolution's unique gameplay experience.

Today, in his keynote address at this year's Tokyo Game Show, Satoru Iwata touched on those themes again, giving further clues about Nintendo's vision for the future. But while Iwata's speech offered a bit more clarity on what Nintendo is aiming to offer gamers with the Revolution, he was vague about exactly how its controller will fit into the company's grand plan.

Thankfully, GameSpot had the chance to gain a better understanding of what Nintendo is going for with the benefit of a visual and tactile aid--a working prototype of the Revolution controller. Yes, we touched it. Yes, we used it. But is it a "revolution"? It just might be.

Our guided tour of the Revolution controller was led by none other than Shigeru Miyamoto, the industry legend whose talent has been one of the driving forces behind Nintendo's success. But, as always, he was his humble self, emphasizing that the day's presentation was about the possibilities of the controller and not his own upcoming projects. With that disclaimer, Miyamoto and the assembled Nintendo Japan reps unveiled the long-awaited controller, a modest-looking device that is low on flash, but big on functionality.

Miyamoto noted that the impetus for the controller design came from Nintendo's desire to do something "different" after hearing user feedback on consoles. The company felt the current generation of machines was coming close to overwhelming players by taking up too much space in their living rooms and creating briar patches of cables that must be navigated. As a result, Nintendo wanted to offer a solution that starts simple but supports expansion and that offers accessible experiences for casual players and more intricate experiences for hardcore gamers.

The form factor on display wasn't the absolute final design for the Revolution controller, and Nintendo reps noted that it is still a work in progress. That said, it was enough to give us an idea of where the company is headed. The controller itself bears no resemblance to the myriad fan-generated renderings purporting to be the real deal. The unit basically looks like a slim, ergonomic television remote that's about as long as your hand.

As can be seen in the images released today, the controller features core elements along with some you wouldn't expect. A power button at the top left of the unit appears to let you power the Revolution console on or off. An old-school digital D pad rests just below the power button. A large GameCube-controller-style A button is prominently placed below the D pad. Its counterpart B button is located on the opposite side of the remote, like the Z button on the Nintendo 64 controller. Directly below the A button is a series of three buttons: select, home, and start. While it's easy to guess what they do, Nintendo reps offered no details on their exact function.

Below the select, home, and start buttons is another set of vertically aligned buttons labeled X and Y. On some of the prototype controllers we looked at, the X button had a small "B" next to it and the Y button had a small "A" next to it, indicating that the controller can be held sideways to approximate a classic NES controller. Directly beneath those buttons is a horizontal row of colored lights that indicate which controller slot the owner is using--1 to 4 are planned at the moment. The plan is for the controllers to include built-in rumble packs and to run off of batteries, à la the Wavebird for the GameCube.

Finally, the base of the controller features a unique plug that lets you make use of a wide variety of peripherals. One such peripheral is an analog stick attachment with two shoulder buttons. Though it gives the combined items an odd, nunchaku-like appearance (which is actually Nintendo's tongue-in-cheek nickname for it), the add-on demonstrates the controller's versatility. While Miyamoto didn't say much else about what other attachments were in the works, he did note that it's theoretically possible to have entirely different configurations plug into the port--which got us thinking about SNES and N64 controller attachments.

One of the most interesting features of the peripheral is tied to its functionality as a "pointing device." A glossy section of the top of the controller houses a transmitter--much like any remote would have--that was used extensively in the demos we saw. The signal from the unit is picked up by sensors you'll place near your television, which will then reflect your actions on the screen. Based on the responsiveness of the demos that we tried, this feature has the potential to turn the entire base controller unit into a new kind of pointing device. It also has great potential applications for sports games, such as laser-pointer-style play calling.

Overall, despite its unorthodox appearance, the Revolution controller has a comfortable feel. The assorted demos on hand also indicated that playing Revolution games will be a more active, physical experience than playing current-generation games. Whether you're using the pointer mechanic to actively control onscreen action or using two hands to take advantage of attachments, the Revolution controller will likely change how games are played.

Will the change the Revolution heralds be successful? It's too early to say for sure. But given Nintendo's well-documented history of breaking new ground in gaming (such as the DS) we're game to see just how this all pans out. The potential for a revolution is there; Nintendo just has to lead the way with software."
Page:
Mon 19/09/05 at 22:10
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I know Bonus - I meant the games were. Just vaccuous boring boring boring wow gunz!!11 bang bang /death of anything remotely fun after extended play.

PGR2 was sublime. The other good games were good...but not what people make them out to be, in my opinion. I only kept it for Live, and I got bored of that.
Mon 19/09/05 at 22:08
Regular
"the burning sky"
Bonus wrote:
> Because I found better things to spend my money on by then :-).
>
> Like Metal Gear solid, Disgaea, Halo 1&2, GTA 3, VC and SA,
> Prince Of Persia, Burnout 3, PGR2, Rez, FFX, Beyond Good and Evil,
> Onimusha series, Devil May Cry series.

Seriously take PoP and BGaE out of that list. Multiformat titles dont count :p
Mon 19/09/05 at 22:05
Regular
Cycloon wrote:
> Xbox is just souless crap 99% of the time. Seriously.

It's a game console, it does nothing but play games that developers make for it, just like every other console.
Mon 19/09/05 at 22:04
Regular
Because I found better things to spend my money on by then :-).

Like Metal Gear solid, Disgaea, Halo 1&2, GTA 3, VC and SA, Prince Of Persia, Burnout 3, PGR2, Rez, FFX, Beyond Good and Evil, Onimusha series, Devil May Cry series.

And I could go on, but it's safe to say I prefer my PS2 and Xbox to my cube.
Mon 19/09/05 at 22:02
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Xbox is just souless crap 99% of the time. Seriously.
Mon 19/09/05 at 21:56
Regular
"the burning sky"
Bonus wrote:
> The games I got for my Cube were Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart, Smash
> Bros, Wind Waker, Rogue Leader and Pikmin (which I sold when I
> finished it).

All came out within a year of the cube's release? Looks like you missed some beauties...
Mon 19/09/05 at 21:54
Regular
The games I got for my Cube were Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Wind Waker, Rogue Leader and Pikmin (which I sold when I finished it).

Looky looky, almost all Nintendo titles, almost all average.

I also own a PS2 and an Xbox.

I couldn't seperate the Xbox and PS2 because the games for them are so different. I bought the GC for Nintendo specific games and I'm disappointed because despite Ninty's reputation they did nothing worth shouting about this generation in my opinion. Remember I said that's just my opinion and not gospel for all before I get moaned at.

If Nintendo don't do anything new with the games they are going to release on the revolution (and the games could be the same just using gimmick controls for mini-games like fishing in Zelda) then I'll just have gone off them forever.

I will only consider buying a revolution when I actually see something unique coming to it and Nintendo back making good games.
Mon 19/09/05 at 21:42
Regular
gimo80 wrote:
> Why are so many people saying that the GC is a failure? Yes, it may
> not have sold as many units as its competitors, however the there are
> so many decent games out for it.

You missed our point.
We bought a Gamecube thinking it would pick up where the N64 left off.
It gave us both some good times (sounds like it gave me more than Bonus) but left us both disappointed, and left me more than a little envious of Xbox owners.

> The Revolution will be amazing. End.

Can be. Nothing's a cert until it's done.
So far it oozes with potential. Now it depends on Nintendo realising that potential. It might happen but some of us would like to be sure before we throw away our hard earned cash. :-)
Mon 19/09/05 at 21:19
Regular
"gsybe you!"
GC hasn't failed. It just hasn't done as well as the others. So it arguably failed. But not really.
Mon 19/09/05 at 20:11
Regular
"Divine Davine"
;p
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.