GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Football Accumulator Thread"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 22/10/09 at 08:39
Regular
"THFC"
Right, i know some of you guys are not keen football fans so probably not a great thread for you - sorry.

However, for the few of us that enjoy football, i thought this could proove to be fun!

I love doing football Accumulators and very often, well actually never, have i won a bet of one. So to try help me spending all my hard earned cash i thought we could play a game. These are the rules (and even people who know nothing about football can play!)

Each week i will post the fixtures for the premier league on here.
From them you choose 4 games and say how it will go.
Getting 3 out of the 4 correct grants you a point.
Getting all 4 will get you 3 points.

Simple, right! I will of course keep a list on here and update the scored of the people playing.
So let me know if your interested in playing along. Fun game to keep me occupied and may actually help me finally win a bet!

THE LEAGUE TABLE

ButchML - 55
McLong - 43
Emmie87 - 38
dav2612 - 31
Sonic Chris - 29
Dragonlance - 28
HighflyerVII - 10
Warhunt - 8
Jubba - 3
tnc - 1
HM - 1
Black8704 - 0
Alfonse - 0
Page:
Wed 28/04/10 at 15:22
Regular
"And in last place.."
Butch wrote:
> The European Cup/Champions League has always been about the
> better teams from the best European nations competing for the
> prize. The inclusion of smaller nations has only been a very
> recent thing.

That's true but in the days when Rangers were knocking Leeds out of the European Cup finishing 1st in your league was the only qualification you needed... and now that I've said that I remember when they introduced the league part that there were 2 games before the group which is sort of similar to the current set up which means I'm debating with myself now. But at least then it was consistent among all nations included.

It would be more interesting with the unknowns getting automatic qualification. Rangers usually take a good whipping off a team making their debut in the CL. It would spread the wealth about a bit more rather than the same teams getting the big payouts year after year. Although it could be argued that it is mainly the same teams qualifying each year.
Wed 28/04/10 at 13:52
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
dav2612 wrote:
> I'm not saying that the favoured leagues should only get one
> place but the champions of each league deserve to go straight
> into the champions league based on what they have done over the
> course of an entire season. If Real make a mess of their season
> then they shouldn't get automatic qualification because they are
> Real and they are in one of favoured leagues. It's not consistent
> that the top 2/3 in the best leagues get automatic qualification,
> the top team in another league gets automatic qualification based
> on one team not winning the tournament and the top team in yet
> another league has to play at least one qualification round.

UEFA are actually making it easier for 'lesser' teams to get to the group stages, and harder for the bigger teams from next year with the abolishment of seeding in the qualifying. However this will not stop the big 3 countries getting 2 automatic qualifiers.

Warhunt wrote:
> It can't really be called.... "statistically the best teams
> in europe League" can it? Actually it's not even a league
> anyway...........

I was thinking European Cup, but they have been me being nostalgic...

> But Butch think on this. The FA Cup allows all teams in, and one
> of the best things about it is watching the "minnows"
> turn over the big boys. Maybe a "Champions (only)
> League" wouldn't be too bad.....or even only the Top 2
> realisitcally.

You can see you support Chelsea, who are part of the G14 who want their own league, I'm not saying these smaller teams shouldn't get in (Spurs have to beat somebody in qualifying next year) but from a financial, sporting and neutral fan point-of-view it is better to see Man Utd vs Real Madrid over Man Utd vs Famagusta, for example.

The FA Cup is different, it was created for the very purpose it serves, to give all teams, regardless of league status, a chance of winning a trophy or playing against much, much better sides. The European Cup/Champions League has always been about the better teams from the best European nations competing for the prize. The inclusion of smaller nations has only been a very recent thing.
Wed 28/04/10 at 13:31
Regular
"And in last place.."
Butch wrote:
> I think having the champions of, say, Cyprus in the group stages
> over a team such as Real would make more of a mockery. We just
> need a name change and we're all good.

It could be renamed to UEFA's Favourite Teams League.

I'm not saying that the favoured leagues should only get one place but the champions of each league deserve to go straight into the champions league based on what they have done over the course of an entire season. If Real make a mess of their season then they shouldn't get automatic qualification because they are Real and they are in one of favoured leagues. It's not consistent that the top 2/3 in the best leagues get automatic qualification, the top team in another league gets automatic qualification based on one team not winning the tournament and the top team in yet another league has to play at least one qualification round.
Wed 28/04/10 at 13:13
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
It can't really be called.... "statistically the best teams in europe League" can it? Actually it's not even a league anyway...........

But I 100% agree. The last few seasons have been a joke. When Liverpool got back in by default when they were terrible that season (more than 30 points away from "Champions" infact) That's only an example but it has highlighted the tournament name.

But Butch think on this. The FA Cup allows all teams in, and one of the best things about it is watching the "minnows" turn over the big boys. Maybe a "Champions (only) League" wouldn't be too bad.....or even only the Top 2 realisitcally.
Wed 28/04/10 at 12:48
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
Sonic Chris wrote:
> Such as? :P

Ngog, Kuyt, Robbie Keane, El Zahar(sp?) and Babel.

Oh, and Lucas and Carragher (into his own net of course).

dav2612 wrote:
> I'm glad Lyon didn't turn up... their exit now guarantees
> Rangers direct qualification to the group stages for next season.
> Although the fact the champions of any league may have to qualify
> makes a mockery of a tournament called Champions League.

I think having the champions of, say, Cyprus in the group stages over a team such as Real would make more of a mockery. We just need a name change and we're all good.
Wed 28/04/10 at 09:03
Regular
"And in last place.."
Emmie87 wrote:
> Well none of us say Bayern winning like that!
>
> Did Lyon even turn up, lol

I'm glad Lyon didn't turn up... their exit now guarantees Rangers direct qualification to the group stages for next season. Although the fact the champions of any league may have to qualify makes a mockery of a tournament called Champions League.
Wed 28/04/10 at 08:45
Regular
"THFC"
Well none of us say Bayern winning like that!

Did Lyon even turn up, lol
Wed 28/04/10 at 08:00
Regular
"How Ironic"
Such as? :P
Tue 27/04/10 at 19:15
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
Sonic Chris wrote:
> HM wrote:
> Liverpool v Chelsea
>
> Grrrrrrrr

Speaking of this, I saw this video and immediately thought of one or two 'pool players.
Tue 27/04/10 at 17:44
Regular
"How Ironic"
HM wrote:
> Liverpool v Chelsea

Grrrrrrrr
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.