GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sky Sports"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/09/05 at 19:15
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Apparently that was the last Ashes to be shown on terrestrial tv as Sky have the rights from now on. With all the hype over the Ashes and some 7.4 million people tuning in to watch the last few hours of play at the Oval the Government have decided to review the list of events that have to be shown on terrestrial tv - problem is they can't do it until 2009!

The question is this - should Sky be allowed to eat up the rights to virtually sporting event? OK they pour millions into sport by buying the rights, their coverage is much better than terrestrial tv with all the interactive elements etc and they have numerous channels to show them again and again but people pay for their tv licence and then have to pay again for Sky.

I personally think they should be shown on both terrestrial tv and Sky, that way everyone has the chance to see them and if people want to pay for Sky to get the "extras" then that's up to them.
Fri 16/09/05 at 19:50
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
GingerD wrote:
> Richie was a legend and the
> perect cricket commentator, adding info only when needed and letting
> the game do the talking.

That's the key to good commentating, lots of commentators just describe what's happening in the game where as he discusses why it's happening, for example why the field is set as it is.
Fri 16/09/05 at 18:24
Regular
"Bouncebackability"
mattributé wrote:
> But Sky coverage for cricket is dire. Truly dire. I wish there was a
> way that they could worm out of this contract and not make cricket
> into a... sky sport. It just glamourises it, tries to make it
> something it's not. Channel 4's coverage was truly great, exceptional
> in every way and pretty much perfect. little old Richie Benaud banging
> out the commentary genius with Athers and co. in support to tell us
> all we need to know.

channel 4s commentary was fantastic. Richie was a legend and the perfect cricket commentator, adding info only when needed and letting the game do the talking.
it is a sad day now that sky have their rich, filthy paws on it. Not a good idea just as interest has FINALLY started to develop in the sport

money talks
Fri 16/09/05 at 18:14
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
BBC have got the rights to the highlights for the Cricket World Cup
Wed 14/09/05 at 22:19
Regular
"Colourless"
Smedlos wrote:
> their coverage is much better than terrestrial tv with
> all the interactive elements

Lies. Channel 4 revolutionised the cricket.....
Wed 14/09/05 at 19:03
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
mattributé wrote:
> little old Richie Benaud banging out the commentary genius

How I'll miss him!
Wed 14/09/05 at 13:34
Regular
"betterthanmoneymake"
If people want to watch cricket then they will
Tue 13/09/05 at 23:16
Regular
"tokyo police club"
But Sky coverage for cricket is dire. Truly dire. I wish there was a way that they could worm out of this contract and not make cricket into a... sky sport. It just glamourises it, tries to make it something it's not. Channel 4's coverage was truly great, exceptional in every way and pretty much perfect. little old Richie Benaud banging out the commentary genius with Athers and co. in support to tell us all we need to know. Even little things like the old fashioned scoreboard... it really made cricket something to look forward to.

I'm really growing to dislike sky sports. First they ruin Saturday football, now they're working on messing up our cricket.

Basts.
Tue 13/09/05 at 21:20
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
To be fair on Sky Sports, it's a good business move. I don't mind, as I have Sky.
Tue 13/09/05 at 20:44
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Kawada wrote:

> Only one solution then, scrap the licence fee :-D

Possibility. I certainally wouldn't mind BBC having adverts on it, I hardly watch it anyway.
Tue 13/09/05 at 19:30
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Smedlos wrote:
> OK they pour millions into sport by buying
> the rights, their coverage is much better than terrestrial tv with
> all the interactive elements etc and they have numerous channels to
> show them again and again but people pay for their tv licence and
> then have to pay again for Sky.

Only one solution then, scrap the licence fee :-D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.