GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mascots..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 06/06/01 at 20:09
Regular
Every console or company has their own mascot, character etc to go with it. These are important to be in hit games. advertis and hype up marketing and to just look darn good!

nintendo has a lot of mascots for their consoles with a whole clan of them. The most well known is mario but still there are luigi, wario,DK, link and many more which I think is a good thing. Nintendo are now known for their character and know that they will be in some sweet games on the new console.

Sega have good the good old blue hedgehog who is celebrating his tenth birthday in a few weeks and was always the action hero. HE has some cool pals like Tails, knuckles and the very sexy Amy. WIth some cool lines and smooth moves he is definitely one of the toughest chracters around.

Sony has the one the only lara croft? or is it spyro? or solid snake? WEll sony do not seem to have one main mascot as lara has been seen on other consoles too, so who knows what theirs is at present.

Then we move onto microsoft or the Xbox. As of yet there do not seem to be any major character developments for the very net gen consoles and I don't have a clue who it will be as of yet. Heck, it could be bowl boy, the virtual Bill gates.....

The important thing is that most consoles have a team or just one main charcater(s) on their side especially for that company. We will usually see all of the charcewtrs in seperate games saving the world or the whole posse in one game which is always a blast.ALthough they could do a bit more with their charcters.....

What if there was a major character console war which appeared on all formats? I can only dream....

anyway mascots make the consoles great....

T_W
Thu 07/06/01 at 09:43
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
"
Err... it expired over a year ago -
> that's why TR4 appeared on Dreamcast...

Anyway, I think Sony's
> mascot should be the big-eyed (or is that bug-eyed?) Irish kid from
> the 'Conquered Worlds' advert!"

Oh yer! I even ahve a DC, and can't remember this game it's so over-rated... what is the point in 4th game!

Sonic
Thu 07/06/01 at 09:43
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
A bit?

If ever there was a child not-of-woman-born, it's that little spawn.

I think someone should check the back of his head for the mark, I bet you it's there.

What an evil, evil child.
It was the wide, unblinking eyes, slight tremble to it's head and intensity....

What an absolute demon-child.
Thu 07/06/01 at 09:41
"High polygon count"
Woah! Over-react much?

;-)

He was a bit scary, I admit.
Thu 07/06/01 at 09:35
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Jesus Christ No!

That is the most evil, downright sinister child to ever have been unleashed from the fiery 9th concentric circle of hell.

A trembly, no-blinking, wild eyed demon "I've conquered worlds!"....yeah, and soon this one.

What the f*** were Sony thinking sticking that deranged serial killer kid on a commercial?

Gack!
Thu 07/06/01 at 09:28
"High polygon count"
SonicRav wrote:
> And seeeing as the contract on Lara being a PSX exclusive
> will soon expire (2002 or something... anyone?), Lara's off
> too!

Err... it expired over a year ago - that's why TR4 appeared on Dreamcast...

Anyway, I think Sony's mascot should be the big-eyed (or is that bug-eyed?) Irish kid from the 'Conquered Worlds' advert!
Thu 07/06/01 at 09:11
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Legendary Link wrote:
> I don't think you can say Sony have a mascot because they don't make
> the games and they make other electronicle goods apart from
> consoles. With the playstation I think it's better to say that game
> developers have mascots .ie.eidos=Lara, namco=Pac-man, crazy
> dog=Crash etc etc.

Good point, but in many people's eyes Lara is the PSX mascot simply because of all the ads and hype. It'll be interesting to see what people think when she appears on the Xbox... mind you- her statice is dwindling.

Sonic
Wed 06/06/01 at 21:18
Regular
I don't think you can say Sony have a mascot because they don't make the games and they make other electronicle goods apart from consoles. With the playstation I think it's better to say that game developers have mascots .ie.eidos=Lara, namco=Pac-man, crazy dog=Crash etc etc.
Wed 06/06/01 at 21:09
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Ant wrote:
> I believe Sony's mascot is Crash Bandicoot.

Or it should be,
> anyway.

Nope! Crash is now migrating (or whatever his kind do) to another console... the Xbox (from what I've heard!). And seeeing as the contract on Lara being a PSX exclusive will soon expire (2002 or something... anyone?), Lara's off too!

Sonic
Wed 06/06/01 at 21:07
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
There are some interesting stories behind mascots:

Mario- In the time where a mascot was "Pac man", a yound artist called Shigeru Miyamoto was asked by the head of Nintendo at the time to remake one of it's failed arcade games. In this, a stupid ape (the japanese for this is "Donkey Kong") had kidnapped a princess (Princess peach) and a fat plumber who wears red had to save her. Amazing how mixed up all the characters have go over the years.

Several years later, and ninty were selling more NES consoles than ALL the other consoles put together (there used to be loads of other consoles about!). So then came the SNES and everyone thought, "We're dead!"

Except for a young chap named Yugi Naka at Sega. He decided that Mario was an old, fat, red out of date plumber who must be challenged. So he made a young, slick, blue hedgehog who was cool in every way...

Actually, Sonic the Hedgehog didn't do well... but the sequal turned heads, and made nintendo's first real competitor ever!

Now that's magic

Sonic
Wed 06/06/01 at 21:06
Regular
"I like cheese"
Time_Warp wrote:
> yeh but he wasn't a massive hit.

He was pretty big!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.