GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sony PSP - Fastest selling games console of all time..."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/09/05 at 07:31
Regular
...in the UK.

Yup, left the DS trailing at sub-100,000 figures.

Well done Sony!

[URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4218320.stm[/URL]
Wed 07/09/05 at 23:26
"High polygon count"
Okay, for the record, I know it isn't just a GBA with a touch screen.

But it may just as well be. ;-)
Wed 07/09/05 at 23:09
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Even so, a stunning combination of game system, audio and video
> player is a much fresher idea than throwing a touch-screen into a
> GBA.

Just before anyone picks Wookie up on this, the DS does have an Arm7 GBA processor in it. It also has an Arm 9 processor for doing 3d stuff :-).
Wed 07/09/05 at 23:07
"High polygon count"
Okay, so I missed that post.

Even so, a stunning combination of game system, audio and video player is a much fresher idea than throwing a touch-screen into a GBA.
Wed 07/09/05 at 23:06
Regular
J Nash wrote:
> Having 3D isn't a fresh idea though

No one said it was.

Like Wookie said, the PSP is the first hand-held with all the pwer of a modern home console. And even more functionality in terms of music, photos, videos and wi-fi support.

None are fresh and new, the DS doesn't have fresh new ideas either in the hardware, but it's the first time a package like this has been put together, the same way the DS is the only package of its type.
Wed 07/09/05 at 22:59
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> No-one's claiming there's anything fresh about the PSP, though.

Smedlos wrote:
> What Sony realise is you need to come up with fresh ideas to make
> people want to buy your product.
Wed 07/09/05 at 22:58
Regular
Having 3D isn't a fresh idea though
Wed 07/09/05 at 22:58
"High polygon count"
No-one's claiming there's anything fresh about the PSP, though.

What it does offer is the power of a full home system in a portable. For me, that's what makes it exciting. It doesn't rely on gimmicks.
Wed 07/09/05 at 22:57
Regular
J Nash wrote:
> The PSP doesn't have any "fresh ideas"..

The PSP itself is an open ended console.

Developers can do what they like with it and have more accessability for 3D games than the DS which is limited due to the control issue I talk about below :d.
Wed 07/09/05 at 22:56
Regular
See, the thing with games is that you're usually in direct control of something. Be it a camera, player, car or some physical object to be moved around in 3D space.

A touch screen needs a constant stream of new ideas to make any use of it because it doesn't give the idea of physical control you get from a d-pad in 2D space or an analogue stick in 3D space.

I haven't seen anything other than pac-pix which uses the touch screen like a graphics tablet. The rest use it as a replacement for analogue stick control or as a replacement for a mouse.

What else can you constructively do with it?
Wed 07/09/05 at 22:54
Regular
The PSP doesn't have any "fresh ideas"..

I'd get one though, but they're too expensive for me.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.