GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wrap me up."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/09/05 at 19:50
Regular
Right, Rap isn't my usual flavour/variety/colour of music in general so I'm calling out to all you lovely people to give me a hand.

Basically, I have the following artists on my winamp that fall into this category and I would like people to recommend me artists that are similar/you think I may like. Bear in mind that my preference to the artist is indicated by how early I mention them, so obviously the last one mentioned is my least favourite.

Handsome Boy Modelling School (bit of a dodgy one there, but I'd class it in this genre)
Jedi Mind Tricks
RJD2
Kanye West
Tribe Called Quest

As you can see it's a pretty much blank canvas to work with, so if you fancy having the opportunity to mould my taste in this genre a little then don't hesitate to recommend.

Much love to everyone in advance.

[edit] A quick note to make, I'm really bad at putting artists etc. in genres so when I say rap I'm kind of generalising so don't worry if the artist doesn't actually fit "rap".
Mon 05/09/05 at 20:19
Regular
[URL]http://www.last.fm/user/mjswerve[/URL]

The above should be a better indication as to the music I currently listen to. Might help some people even though the majority of the artists aren't related to the genre whatsoever.
Mon 05/09/05 at 20:17
Regular
Not entirely 'rap' but I'd recommend some of Alkaline Trio's songs and also B-star movie heroes.

Visa-vi artists like SnoopDoog; only listen to them if you appreciate the 'gangster' style, as they really aren't the same as mainstream rap.
Mon 05/09/05 at 20:15
Regular
I haven't really bought an album in ages and have never been someone who's particularly "clued up" about what's on each one. As I have been swapping songs with my friends a lot lately I'm never too sure about the album the stuff is coming from.

You best bet is to have a little Google and try and find their classics (the Walk This Way/My Adidas vein) when you have done you can normally find sites that play extracts or non-downloadable 'testers' that will show you which album you'd prefer.

I'd usually opt for the "Greatest Hits" option as there's obviously some reason that they've been compiled there ;)

I could tell you on certain bands whether they really do have the range on the greatest but as I've said, I'm a little hazy on DMC's albums.
Mon 05/09/05 at 20:12
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Judging by that you'd probably do well to check out...
>
> Talib Kweli
> Common
> The Roots
> Jurassic 5
> Pharoahe Monch
> Slum Village

Looks promising, haven't seen any of them on MTV before :] I've always meant to check out Jurassic 5 so looks like a good place to start.
Mon 05/09/05 at 20:11
Regular
Mozzy wrote:
> If you like rock and bands like Linkin(sp?) Park you might like the
> album they did with Jay Z.

I like Rock yes, metal, indie, screamo, all sorts. The album Jay Z did with Linkin' Park is quite good as I like the original songs. I forgot to mention that I have Jay Z's "Grey Album" (mixed by DJ Danger Mouse if anyone is interested, available for free), which although not one of his actual albums is another artist I've got material by.
Mon 05/09/05 at 20:08
Regular
I know of and have listened to Run DMC before (hell, think I bought one of their singles :]) and yes I like what I've heard. Other than Walk this way, It's like that and My Adidas I'm pretty much a virgin though. Worth looking to their greatest hits or a particular album?
Regular
"Mozzy"
MJ wrote:
> Thanks for that?
>
> Am I supposed to go check out the other artists on that label or
> something?

Well, not really. I dont think he bothered to read the actual post.

Go for DMC like tnc said, and maybe De La Soul. What other music genres are you into?

If you like rock and bands like Linkin(sp?) Park you might like the album they did with Jay Z.
Regular
Judging by that you'd probably do well to check out...

Talib Kweli
Common
The Roots
Jurassic 5
Pharoahe Monch
Slum Village
Mon 05/09/05 at 20:00
Regular
In terms of rap you can't go wrong with perhaps the greatest artists ever (subject to opinion of course) Run DMC

Their lyrics and actual musical ability is one that I'd rate very highly, they are skilled with both guitars and also with making up the lyrics associated with rap (quick and rhyming)

So, if you want an example of their brilliance listen to "Walk This Way", where the coupling of them and Aerosmith has made one of my favourite songs ever.
Mon 05/09/05 at 19:55
Regular
Thanks for that?

Am I supposed to go check out the other artists on that label or something?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.