GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GC Downhill"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/10/04 at 14:29
Regular
"Bow to me!"
I love the GameCube and even more, Nintento. But I cant help thinking that its going downhill. It now has too much of a 'kiddies' image with market research finding that games, on average, are based on the likes of 7 year olds. The GameCude is by far the best console around with its small disks and compact shell, and to still have better loading times than PlayStation and XBox. Some of the unique games like Mario are still good but even they are losing their appeal to me. Many more game companies are struggling free from GameCubes grasp and if the trend continues Nintendo could be no more. I think a wider range of games need to be achived and their image upped to suit the needs of teenagers and above as well as preteens. I have recently been forced into getting PS2 as they seem to hold all the games at the minute. I have stuch with the GameCube alone for along time but theres only so much I can take. It was mainly the lack of Burnout 3 that made me get a PS2, but wven though I have I wont be ditching the GC. The main thing that has kept me by it recently is the Resident Evil series. They could be doing so much better, with more game at the same standard as Resident Evil, if they marketed the Cube and used it to its full potential.
Wed 13/10/04 at 13:31
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Xbox lacks in many respects, as does the Cube. PS2 just is poor unless you want RPGs, which most mong owenrs of the console don't.

Cube + Xbox is a great pair to have, although the sheer, sheer range of games that are top quality on Cube wins it. I just wish people would take a look at what they could get for their Cube....
Tue 12/10/04 at 21:19
Regular
Apart from Pro Evo and maybe MGS 3 although I've read that MGS 2 was not quite as good as MGS 1 I don't care about having any of those games on your list and Final Fantasy hasn't been quite as good since Final Fantasy 7! Plus Gran Turismo is boring to me; drive around with snazzy cars round a bunch of tracks and perhaps the ability to mod your car? No thanks.
Tue 12/10/04 at 21:04
Regular
Marcini wrote:
> I certainly see that now. Your all giving GC's a bad name, with your
> lame attitute which makes people call you fan boys. Just because you
> like a console dosnt mean you cant critisise it.

WHO? WHO is?

Are you sure it's someone here that's a fanboy? Are you sure it's not... nobody?
Tue 12/10/04 at 19:39
Regular
"Bow to me!"
Not agreed, and its obvious they have a wider range. Look at the damn shelves in shops for starters. Nintendo certainly produce the best games around, but are lacking at average games. Some good games missing the GC are:
Pro Evolution Soccer 4
Grand Theft Auto - San Andreas
Worms Forts Under Siege
Gran Turismo 4
Final Fantasy XII
Devil May Cry 3
Metal Gear Solid 3 - Snake Eater

Just mentioning a few. I know that PS2 are also missing some good games that the GameCube have, but less. GameCube is deftinately the best console around and hosts some of the best games of all time like MGS: Twin Snakes, RE Zero, Metroid and Mario type games. Some of the games havent been appealing to me recently which is why my GameCube is currently covered in dust. The point in this thread was that the GC could be pushed more, have more games and stuff with its capabilities. As also mentioned the net play is lacking but thats no major problem at the minute.

If anyone didnt catch that I actually do like GameCube BEST out of all consoles around! What Ive said has been twisted and replied up like a game of Chinese whispers. what people are replying about now is nothing to do with what I said.
Tue 12/10/04 at 18:47
Regular
"Incomprehendible"
> Marcini wrote:
> The PS2 has a much wider range of games which suits a wider
> range.

But it is poo, agreed?
Tue 12/10/04 at 18:45
Regular
Marcini wrote:
> The PS2 has a much wider range of games which suits a wider
> range.

riiiiiiiiiiiight
Tue 12/10/04 at 18:23
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Marcini wrote:
> I have no interest in XBOX
> cos I think they are like a variation of PS

That's a bit narrow minded. The xbox has some fantastic games, not to mention Live.
Tue 12/10/04 at 18:05
Regular
You're not the only one who think that Nintendo have perhaps under performed a little, especially after every game they released on the N64 changed the entire industry.

And yeah, the Xbox and PS2 have some tempting titles (well, not really the PS2 for me, but the Xbox does have some VERY nice looking titles) and if you'd just said that then you might just have been taken seriously.

But by using the "kiddie" word... :-)
That's how you make yourself look pretty dumb.

We all know that one of the special things about Nintendo games is that they make the image irrelevant.
Your reply makes me think that you knew that and just minced your words.

By the by, Animal Crossing is good fun, like nothing you'll ever have played before and about a year ago I might've recommended it.
But from what I've been hearing though, Fable does it all but a billion times better. Not because it's "adult" and you can "kill things" (besides, you can step on cockroaches in Animal Crossing) but because there's more depth to it and there's more that you can do.

So think about why Gamecube games have disappointed you.
And when you do that and remember that all the Nes/Snes/N64 games of the "powerhouse" days had cartoony graphics, you'll perhaps see what I'm saying. :-)
Tue 12/10/04 at 17:57
Regular
"Bow to me!"
Rickoss wrote:
> Funny how people from the XBox forum call you a retard too when you
> post your 'amayxing controvershal ghey-nintendo!!1' posts, isn't it?
>
> Nothing wrong with having an opinion, it's just when you base it on
> nothing more than screenshots and bias news stories you read.

Just off the point for a min... Is that aimed at me or what? Ive never been in the XBOX forum if its me. I have no interest in XBOX cos I think they are like a variation of PS
Tue 12/10/04 at 17:54
Regular
"Bow to me!"
Rumpadodosnitzle wrote:
> Marcini...You have no idea what you just started.
> You have no entitlement to your own opinions here! PERPARE TO FEEL
> THE FAN BOYS WARTH(S)!

I certainly see that now. Your all giving GC's a bad name, with your lame attitute which makes people call you fan boys. Just because you like a console dosnt mean you cant critisise it.

Strafio wrote:
> So kid, when you bought your brand new black (I'm sure a an
> animéphobe like you wouldn't be caught dead with a purple one
> :-D) Gamecube, what WERE you expecting? :-S

Actually I bought a purple one on the day of release. I was expecting what I got, but in compasison to other consoles that isnt much anymore. Also although I said I do actually like the GC (thats not what this topic is about) I get comments like that thrown back at me. I think the N64 started losing customers for Nintendo as they ran on cartridges which were expensive compared to disks that the PS ran on. Thats when many people crossed over. In the days of the SNES, Nintendo was the powerhouse but those days are fading.

Going back to my original points, I like the GameCube still, I will continue getting the games which interest me, however I think that they could be doing more.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.