GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sega plays a stroke of genius!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 06/06/01 at 11:59
Regular
Sega have announced that they are developing games which will allow PS2 owners and DC owners to compete against each other online!! The first game to pioneer this advancement in Japan will be Atsumare! Guru Guru Onsen 2, a collection of board and card games, obviously intended to allow Sega and Sony to test the water. Will Sega and Sony become the best of friends?? And what of their fans, I think Sega vs. Sony battles on the net are imminent and we should expect world war III to break out as a result of these announcements.

No, seriously, what are Sega playing at?? Apparently Sonic and PSO are headed for the Gamecube, Jet Set Radio and something else fairly big are headed for the Xbox and the PS2 is getting on-line support from Sega. I think they either think that by backing every horse they are on to a winner, but then again could they be spreading their resources too thinly.

Either way in the short term I can only see the big three reeping the benefits from this, but where do Sega go?? They have announced the Naomi 3 arcade network system, so at least they will still be bringing massive arcade games into the world, and hopefully to a games console near you.

The world would be a duller place without Sega's arcade games and innovation, but, would anyone really miss them??? Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft are all big enough to buy the major franchises off of Sega and I don't think for one second that these companies do not have plans in the works for this to happen. Sega probably couldn't say no to a decent offer, and they could offload parts of their company at the same time, i.e. Sonic and PSO are dealt with by Sonic Team and Jet Set Radio by Sega AMI. Once the Sega novelty value wears thin then it could be game set and match for one of the most enigmatic games companies of all times.

Lets just hope that there is a consensus in the games industry that a loss of Sega would damage the popularity of gaming at a grass roots level, in the arcades!!
Wed 06/06/01 at 19:48
This is truly good news from sega. This will gith them perhaps more confidence in it goes well to make a come back in the big time...
Wed 06/06/01 at 19:33
As much as I would love to see Sega bring out another console, I very much doubt that they bring one out anytime soon, and they probably won't ever.

Sega were a brilliant console producer. The Saturn and DC didn't do so well because of lack of support. Some of those major developing companies either wouldn't develop for them, or were bought by Sony or Nintendo.

It was a damn shame when Sega announced there retirement from making consoles, but still get to benifit from their brilliant and original games that are making their way on to the current consoles.

LONG LIVE SEGA!!!
Wed 06/06/01 at 19:32
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
I don't think that sega will ever make another console seeing as their last two, saturn and DC didn't exactly turn out too well. The saturn was awful but the DC was pretty good. However they didn't have the 3rd party developers working for them so it was bound to fail. The one problem with DC games is that a lot of them do not last long enough and there are not enough of them. I can't work out why they don't last long enough though. I think N64 is much better so the GameCube will probably be the best for me. This is why I am glad that Sega have stopped making consoles (even though I own a DC) because now as well getting to play top class nintendo titles I also get to play top class Sega titles.
Wed 06/06/01 at 19:24
I agree with you lot.
Sony and the others may have the upper hand in making the latest technology and in a some cases (but not all) their games have better graphics. But a game is not judged purely on graphics. Sure, they make the game look better in magazines, and a game with shabby images and a slow frame rate would put some people off. But Sega are not like that. They make games with quality graphics (just look at Soul Calibur and you'll see what I mean).

But Sega's main selling point is the sheer enjoyment that their games bring. Not just some of them. Not just half of the ones brought out. Not even "most of them" would define what I mean. My answer is that ALL of Sega's games are top quality. Always in gameplay, and often in looks.

I have never played a Sega game that I have not liked (I have had the Master System, the Megadrive and the DC, the latter two of which I still have). I've played a lot of Sega's games on these consoles and have never been disappionted.

I think Sega's developing for all other consoles out, or coming out soon, is a very important, influential and tactical business move. It means two things: Firstly, the owners of these other consoles will have great games to play on their consoles, meaning that gamesplayers have more variety and good games to play. Secondly, Sega will realise the benefits after a few years and I would not be surprised if after a few years, Sega is not the richest out of Nintendo, Sony and Sega. I only hope that with all this money, they will be able to re-enter the hardware market and make another console. This would hopefully not go us unrecognised and underestimated as the DC was, but I hope it will be as unsurpassed in enjoyment levels as the DC was.
Wed 06/06/01 at 19:09
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
jd99 wrote:
> Sega Sports hitting the PS2.

Awwwwwww why do we always get the
> rubbish deal. :-)

uhhhh.....what about Virtua Tennis. That's ace. HaHa (get it).

hmmm.maybe it wasn't so funny after all.
Wed 06/06/01 at 19:02
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I thinkn you may have got the completely wrong idea. Here's my views:

Sega is one of the biggest games makers by a LONG way! To give you some idea... most developers can make 2-3 games a year. Sega is made of 9 divisions, each of which can make up to 6 games a year! It is simply a HUGE company, and can create games in absolutely any genre.

Now, this means sod all. The reason is that sega games can only be released on sega consoles! So, there are 100 million gamers out there, and Sega can only target the 6 million with a DC! Useless really! Especially considering that Sega can make far more gamnes a year than people will buy in a console's lifetime!

So... Sega ended up losing money. Imagine making the most expensive game of all time (shenmue) and then only having an audience of 6 million. And about half of them may never buy the game anyway!

Now, Sega think: "If only we can tap into that market of 100million people. hmmmm... maybe if we sold games on other consoles."

So that's what they are doing. ALL OTHER CONSOLES! Not just the PS2 or GC... but all 3 other contenters- PS2, GC, Xbox. Basically each division is now escentially run as though it were independant (they're NOT... but they have their own finances and MDs etc). These MDs and CEOs decide what console they wqant to target. Yugi Naka- head of "Sonic Team" might want to release Sonic on all the other consoles, but only release "Phantasy Star Online 2" on the Xbox because it has the best online features at the time. Yu Suzuki over at "AM2" might decide to program the next Shenmue to take full advantage of the PS2, but then neglect the other consoles.

Basically, Sega is now the biggest 3rd party games maker in the world, and they have leading franchises in every genre. They will dominate the market in the same was people like Square dominate RPGs and EA dominate sports games. Sega wants to make money (they're a capitalist company after all!)... and they will

Sonic
Wed 06/06/01 at 18:56
Regular
come.to/magicbox has the info!!
Wed 06/06/01 at 18:51
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
Sega Sports hitting the PS2.

Awwwwwww why do we always get the rubbish deal. :-)
Wed 06/06/01 at 18:49
Sega are way to big to fold up. They shouldn't have much trouble becoming the biggest games developer as their games are normally brilliant and original. Each console is benifiting from their gaming genius, and if they folded or any one of their own in-house companies were bought of them, them the games would suffer, and I doubt people would like to see that happen.
Wed 06/06/01 at 18:47
Regular
Everyone seems to be missing the point, are Sega barking up the wrong tree by telling their software houses that they can only create games for individual consoles??? It isn't definate that this is what is going on, but Sonic Team only seem to be making games for the Gamecube and AMI for the Xbox, with Sega Sports hitting the PS2.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.