GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sega plays a stroke of genius!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 06/06/01 at 11:59
Regular
Sega have announced that they are developing games which will allow PS2 owners and DC owners to compete against each other online!! The first game to pioneer this advancement in Japan will be Atsumare! Guru Guru Onsen 2, a collection of board and card games, obviously intended to allow Sega and Sony to test the water. Will Sega and Sony become the best of friends?? And what of their fans, I think Sega vs. Sony battles on the net are imminent and we should expect world war III to break out as a result of these announcements.

No, seriously, what are Sega playing at?? Apparently Sonic and PSO are headed for the Gamecube, Jet Set Radio and something else fairly big are headed for the Xbox and the PS2 is getting on-line support from Sega. I think they either think that by backing every horse they are on to a winner, but then again could they be spreading their resources too thinly.

Either way in the short term I can only see the big three reeping the benefits from this, but where do Sega go?? They have announced the Naomi 3 arcade network system, so at least they will still be bringing massive arcade games into the world, and hopefully to a games console near you.

The world would be a duller place without Sega's arcade games and innovation, but, would anyone really miss them??? Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft are all big enough to buy the major franchises off of Sega and I don't think for one second that these companies do not have plans in the works for this to happen. Sega probably couldn't say no to a decent offer, and they could offload parts of their company at the same time, i.e. Sonic and PSO are dealt with by Sonic Team and Jet Set Radio by Sega AMI. Once the Sega novelty value wears thin then it could be game set and match for one of the most enigmatic games companies of all times.

Lets just hope that there is a consensus in the games industry that a loss of Sega would damage the popularity of gaming at a grass roots level, in the arcades!!
Wed 06/06/01 at 11:59
Regular
Sega have announced that they are developing games which will allow PS2 owners and DC owners to compete against each other online!! The first game to pioneer this advancement in Japan will be Atsumare! Guru Guru Onsen 2, a collection of board and card games, obviously intended to allow Sega and Sony to test the water. Will Sega and Sony become the best of friends?? And what of their fans, I think Sega vs. Sony battles on the net are imminent and we should expect world war III to break out as a result of these announcements.

No, seriously, what are Sega playing at?? Apparently Sonic and PSO are headed for the Gamecube, Jet Set Radio and something else fairly big are headed for the Xbox and the PS2 is getting on-line support from Sega. I think they either think that by backing every horse they are on to a winner, but then again could they be spreading their resources too thinly.

Either way in the short term I can only see the big three reeping the benefits from this, but where do Sega go?? They have announced the Naomi 3 arcade network system, so at least they will still be bringing massive arcade games into the world, and hopefully to a games console near you.

The world would be a duller place without Sega's arcade games and innovation, but, would anyone really miss them??? Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft are all big enough to buy the major franchises off of Sega and I don't think for one second that these companies do not have plans in the works for this to happen. Sega probably couldn't say no to a decent offer, and they could offload parts of their company at the same time, i.e. Sonic and PSO are dealt with by Sonic Team and Jet Set Radio by Sega AMI. Once the Sega novelty value wears thin then it could be game set and match for one of the most enigmatic games companies of all times.

Lets just hope that there is a consensus in the games industry that a loss of Sega would damage the popularity of gaming at a grass roots level, in the arcades!!
Wed 06/06/01 at 12:10
I can only think of one reason that Sega are backing each console: they want to become the biggest software company in the world and they can't really do that by backing just one console. They are getting their games out to a wider audience, and lets face, the audience is much bigger if they back all three companies.

I very much doubt Sega would sell off their major franchises, because they are what keep Sega one of the biggest companies in the console market. And besides, if they did sell their major franchises, then who would they have to make those original and brilliant games.

If this did happen, then there would be a lot of dissappointed people out there, and I would be one of them. The only reason the games are good, is because they come from Sega. If, say, one of these major franchises, like AM2, were bought by Microsoft, then I don't think the games would be as good.
Wed 06/06/01 at 12:16
Regular
You miss a major point, they are giving each console exclusives all of their own, that could be dangerous, as the companies could just jump on them and rip them apart.
Wed 06/06/01 at 12:25
Bonus wrote:
> You miss a major point, they are giving each console exclusives all
> of their own, that could be dangerous, as the companies could just
> jump on them and rip them apart.

Sorry, I did miss the point a bit there. Giving each console it's own exclusive could be dangerous. But maybe not.

If Sega decided to put Virtua Fighter 4 on all three consoles, then, yes, they would make more money, but then the game would be compared on each console, and the fact of the matter is, the Xbox and Gamecube may look better than PS2 version. Then there is the danger of the Sega fans only buying their games on one console because it can produce better graphics and have more features.

So, I think this is actually, quite a wise decision by Sega.
Wed 06/06/01 at 12:27
Regular
If you put all your manoey into one horse and it wins, you would win more money than you would have if you backed each horse each way.
Wed 06/06/01 at 12:46
Bonus wrote:
> If you put all your manoey into one horse and it wins, you would
> win more money than you would have if you backed each horse each
> way.

I really don't think that this applies to consoles. It isn't the same thing.

In this case, if you only back one horse, then you don't make as much money as if you back each horse.

I can't reply anymore, as I have to go to college, so I shall reply later.
Wed 06/06/01 at 12:50
Regular
I don't think so, it would cost less to develop for a single console, especially when the machines development processes are so different. Sega is already split into different software houses which puts parts of their company in the prime position of being taken over and, backing the horse which is most likely to sell the most games will make more money than releasing a game just on one console, releasing all of their best games on all of the consoles would have the same effect but would send dvelopment time and therefore cost soaring. By singling out one console and releasing all of their games for it then, they would reap more benefits if that console was to prove to be a success. There is only one problem, which console will come out on top??
Wed 06/06/01 at 18:09
It is to early to say which console will come out on top, as there is only one of them out and the other two aren't out until next year.

In regards to Sega, I expect that they know what they are doing with their games.
Wed 06/06/01 at 18:28
Regular
But they also though that they knew what they were doing with the DC. Anyway they are bouncing the big three against each other, and it may backfire on them in a big way!!
Wed 06/06/01 at 18:41
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
I personally think that Sega have to make games for all 3 consoles if they are to succeed in realising their vision. It would have been all too easy for Sega just to call it a day and fold. Instead they have opted for an all or nothing bid to become the world's biggest and best developer of console games. Sega have 10 different development companies all operating under different names, some with proven track records, others with hardly any.

If Sega were to concentrate on just one console what would they become? They would become just another developer who eventually would be swallowed up by Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo just like all the others will eventually. By choosing to make games for all 3 consoles Sega has taken a risk but the only other feasible options were to shut up shop or become an ordinary one format developer. I hope that Sega will prosper as they do make some undeniably good games and the console market would definetely be poorer without Sega.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.