GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I know this is naughty, but...(CS:Source related)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Counter-Strike: Source'.
Wed 13/10/04 at 06:37
Regular
It has become clear to me that there are torrents available for CS:Source, containing (after extraction) .BIN and .CUE files.

Any idea if they work? I might try one, so I can sample Source until I can afford to splash out on the Silver pack. I know it's naughty, but I'll be guaranteed to buy the Silver pack, just not yet as money is a little tight and needs to be spent elsewhere. Think of it as a try-before-you-buy, only I'll be buying it regardless of how it turns out (as it comes with HL2).

Also, with the files being .BIN and .CUE, I'd imagine they could be burned to CD/DVD, answering the question of the possibility of backing-up to hard copy, downloaded content from Steam.
Sat 16/10/04 at 11:17
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
There is away to run the dodgy cracked versions.
Odd that it came as a .bin and .cue as there isn't a disk version of the game, would have made more sense just to be the files required to play it.

Add me on msn if you havn't already Bullet - [email protected]
Sat 16/10/04 at 11:13
Regular
Oh I'll be buying the full version soon enough :D

Well, I've figured out that to get it working, you need to remove EVERYTHING Steam-related on your PC - that means deleting all the games you've downloaded and stuff. Then you download Steam but use a BRAND NEW account (with nothing purchased/downloaded by it), install CS:Source, patch it with the included patch and you'll be able to play online, using legitimate servers and not just cracked ones.

Bit of a hassle if you ask me, and I don't want to lose all my Steam data just for one game. I'll uninstall this pirate version and just wait until I can get the Silver pack (by which time I should have my X800 Pro :D ).
Sat 16/10/04 at 01:53
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Trying to join or host a legitimate server requires you to authenticate with Steam, which you won't be able to do because you haven't paid for an account. There is a stress-test included within CS:Source that demos the engine quite effectively, and I doubt you need to be authenticated with Steam to run that.

Beyond that, just buy the game and find out. If you don't like CS (as I didn't), then you always have Half-Life 2 to fall back on.
Thu 14/10/04 at 10:24
Regular
Can't remember off hand, but it was created by 'Luzifer'. Around about 700Mb. Can't really be any more specific as I don't know - and I ain't linking you as I'll probably get banned!
Thu 14/10/04 at 10:17
Regular
What was the name of the torrent file?

Usually plenty of help out there if you know where to look - would think there would be a few others with similar problems.
Thu 14/10/04 at 10:15
Regular
I couldn't even get the game to load up - it would attempt to boot up, then get knocked back by Steam. I was able to set up a Dedicated Server, whether it was playable I don't know.

I would have also been happy enough to experience the game in single player, just to see the engine in action :(

Still, there may be hope in my gf's Brother!
Thu 14/10/04 at 07:05
Regular
UPDATE -

Well, I downloaded it, unpacked it and mounted the image using Alcohol. It installed sweetly and I had everything to do with CS:Source on my PC :D

However.

It would not connect to Steam. Sometimes it said my username and password was incorrect (I created a new one too, to make sure), then it would say other random stuff, like 'not ready' 'access denied'. The readme file states that, with the included patch file, you can play on uncracked servers, effectively letting you play with people with legal versions.

No luck though. I just couldn't get it right. I'm confident that it will work, just that I'm doing something wrong. I've burned a copy for my girlfriend's Brother as he's quite the PC genius, so if he can't get it working, I don't know who will.

I was gutted too - I had the full installation on my system - sounds, maps, textures etc. Even a section for the HL2 pre-load!

I just hope my gf's Bro can sort it :D

If any of you lot have had success with a 'dodgy' copy, please let me know!
Wed 13/10/04 at 22:24
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Yeah, use deamon tools to mount the image.

I'd guess that when it runs you'll only be able to join cracked servers with other folk who have cracked copies of the game, also think you may have to change a few files and add a crack before you get it working properly.

Was thinking about buying the silver pack, friend at uni has been going on about it and says its pretty good and half life 2 is looking good.
Just don't know how much I'll be wanting to play it...
Wed 13/10/04 at 20:21
Regular
Little tip for you here.

Don't wish to waste CD's on burning files and what not?

Use daemon tools, A CD drive-emulator style thing, just mount the .cue file using it and it'll pretty much 'emulate' a CD.

Google it.
Wed 13/10/04 at 10:07
Regular
Thought so, but I remember you need to check the CUE file in Notepad to make sure it's pointing to the folder that the BIN is in.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.