GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I know this is naughty, but...(CS:Source related)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Counter-Strike: Source'.
Wed 13/10/04 at 06:37
Regular
It has become clear to me that there are torrents available for CS:Source, containing (after extraction) .BIN and .CUE files.

Any idea if they work? I might try one, so I can sample Source until I can afford to splash out on the Silver pack. I know it's naughty, but I'll be guaranteed to buy the Silver pack, just not yet as money is a little tight and needs to be spent elsewhere. Think of it as a try-before-you-buy, only I'll be buying it regardless of how it turns out (as it comes with HL2).

Also, with the files being .BIN and .CUE, I'd imagine they could be burned to CD/DVD, answering the question of the possibility of backing-up to hard copy, downloaded content from Steam.
Wed 13/10/04 at 06:37
Regular
It has become clear to me that there are torrents available for CS:Source, containing (after extraction) .BIN and .CUE files.

Any idea if they work? I might try one, so I can sample Source until I can afford to splash out on the Silver pack. I know it's naughty, but I'll be guaranteed to buy the Silver pack, just not yet as money is a little tight and needs to be spent elsewhere. Think of it as a try-before-you-buy, only I'll be buying it regardless of how it turns out (as it comes with HL2).

Also, with the files being .BIN and .CUE, I'd imagine they could be burned to CD/DVD, answering the question of the possibility of backing-up to hard copy, downloaded content from Steam.
Wed 13/10/04 at 09:30
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
They should work, I've never downloaded anything through a torrent that hasn't.
Presumably you'd need a CD key though...?
Wed 13/10/04 at 09:40
Regular
Perhaps. I think there's a crack file included with it though. I'd best check that.
Wed 13/10/04 at 09:53
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
You just burn the .CUE to a disk.
Wed 13/10/04 at 10:01
Regular
cookie monster wrote:
> You just burn the .CUE to a disk.

?

The CUE is only a log for the BIN, isn't it?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the BIN file is basically an ISO that contains all the data. The CUE contains info about the BIN...?

Hang on, you do select the CUE file from Nero though, as long as you make sure the data in that file points to the relevant BIN file.
Wed 13/10/04 at 10:02
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
ßulle†† wrote:
> Hang on, you do select the CUE file from Nero though, as long as you
> make sure the data in that file points to the relevant BIN file.

Bingo.
Wed 13/10/04 at 10:02
Regular
oasismark wrote:
> With CS:Course being an online game, i think there will certainly be
> some kind of security system in place so you can't join to the
> servers.
>
> p.s. Let us know if you get it workin though ;)

Aye, will do. Can't hurt to give it a try :)
Wed 13/10/04 at 10:07
Regular
Thought so, but I remember you need to check the CUE file in Notepad to make sure it's pointing to the folder that the BIN is in.
Wed 13/10/04 at 20:21
Regular
Little tip for you here.

Don't wish to waste CD's on burning files and what not?

Use daemon tools, A CD drive-emulator style thing, just mount the .cue file using it and it'll pretty much 'emulate' a CD.

Google it.
Wed 13/10/04 at 22:24
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Yeah, use deamon tools to mount the image.

I'd guess that when it runs you'll only be able to join cracked servers with other folk who have cracked copies of the game, also think you may have to change a few files and add a crack before you get it working properly.

Was thinking about buying the silver pack, friend at uni has been going on about it and says its pretty good and half life 2 is looking good.
Just don't know how much I'll be wanting to play it...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.