GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Building a PC on a budget"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 26/08/05 at 17:33
Regular
"smile, it's free"
(A fairly big budget)

Now, I'm not going to be doing this till around November, but I will be doing it. I thought I'd get some opinions from you guys.

Here are the constraints:

1) Budget £1000-2000 (give or take a few hundred)
2) Base unit plus graphics and sound only. In other words: Motherboard, processor(s), PSU, cooling, graphics card(s), RAM, case, sound card, and speakers. I *think* that's it...
So no monitor(s), Keyboard/mouse, optical drives etc are needed.
3) Designed for gaming.

So, your thoughts? Enough for a dual pci-express gfx card system? ATI or NVidia? Perhaps a dual core processor? What would you build on that sort of budget?
Sat 10/09/05 at 12:24
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Allred wrote:
>
"Details of ATI's upcoming graphics chip generation begin to
> emerge ahead of the official product launch, which is expected to
> take place within a few weeks."

That'll be the same few weeks they said back in June, July, August and now September. I'm a huge ATi fanboy, but I think this time, they've ballzed up a tad in trying to get too much out at one time. Doesn't help that the chip yields are so low for the 90nm cards. The X1800 looks nice, but it's their response to the 7800GTX and doesn't offer too much "new" apart from it's enormous size! R580 is the on to wait for. This is mean't to be a killer.

So far on the CF board front we have 1 by Sapphirre, 2 buy Asus and 1 by DFi, though DFI are really holding back on it for some reason. Haven't seen the Ausus board yet and the Saph one has had really bad write ups.

I've got 2 weeks before I order my new system, so will be sitting back, watching with interest till then.
Sat 10/09/05 at 09:47
Regular
"Digging!"
Tyla wrote:
> Allred wrote:
> I would wait to see how ATI's crossfire and new GPU perform, they
> are
> due very soon.
>
> Miles off. There's only 2 companies with CF boards out this month
> (fingers crossed). CF GPU's are still unconfirmed for release this
> month and looks like it could be November berfore they finally arrive
> as they're to busy working on r520/560/580. I wanted to hold out for
> CF, but fromt he only board I've seen so far, you sacrifices board
> performance/features for CF ability.

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050908_131203.html

"Details of ATI's upcoming graphics chip generation begin to emerge ahead of the official product launch, which is expected to take place within a few weeks."
Fri 09/09/05 at 23:59
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Allred wrote:
> I would wait to see how ATI's crossfire and new GPU perform, they are
> due very soon.

Miles off. There's only 2 companies with CF boards out this month (fingers crossed). CF GPU's are still unconfirmed for release this month and looks like it could be November berfore they finally arrive as they're to busy working on r520/560/580. I wanted to hold out for CF, but fromt he only board I've seen so far, you sacrifices board performance/features for CF ability.
Fri 09/09/05 at 23:07
Regular
"Digging!"
I would wait to see how ATI's crossfire and new GPU perform, they are due very soon.
Wed 07/09/05 at 13:16
Regular
"smile, it's free"
£2000 is most certainly a budget.

It's merely a generous one.
Wed 07/09/05 at 12:54
Regular
"Digging!"
£2000 is hardly budget...
Tue 06/09/05 at 16:13
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Memorandum! wrote:
> Tyla wrote:
> The 3700 is only 2.2Ghz with a 1MB L2, but these things will clock
> on
> stock cooling to arouns 3.2Ghz, up to 4.6Ghz if water/refrigerated
> cooled, so nw real need to go any higher processor wise for the
> sake
> of 400Mhz.
>
> can we see some evidence of this please?
> I've never seen an Athlon 64 any higher than about 3.8GHz and those
> were on phase change cooling. I find 4.6 on water extremely unlikely
> given the voltages that would most probably be required.

It be buried somewhere in the OCers forum, I'll try to dig it out. So far I've found the P4 @ 6Ghz thread!:/
Tue 06/09/05 at 15:31
Regular
"bot"
Tyla wrote:
> The 3700 is only 2.2Ghz with a 1MB L2, but these things will clock on
> stock cooling to arouns 3.2Ghz, up to 4.6Ghz if water/refrigerated
> cooled, so nw real need to go any higher processor wise for the sake
> of 400Mhz.

can we see some evidence of this please?
I've never seen an Athlon 64 any higher than about 3.8GHz and those were on phase change cooling. I find 4.6 on water extremely unlikely given the voltages that would most probably be required.
Tue 06/09/05 at 15:21
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Nimco wrote:
> But surely for a lot of people, it would be beneficial to have 1 core
> focussing on running Windows, AntiVirus, Firewall, etc etc, and have
> the other core dedicated to the game? Doesn't that mean the dual-core
> processor would be faster?

No, because "Windows, Antivurus, Firewall etc" only use a very small amount of processing power, and each core isn't as fast as an FX57. So one FX57 running windows, firewall, antivirus and a game is still faster than what you described.

And games aren't designed to be able to take advantage of all the extra processing power that would be available from the low used Windows, firewall, antivurs core, so it would just go to waste.
Tue 06/09/05 at 15:10
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Nimco wrote:
> But surely for a lot of people, it would be beneficial to have 1 core
> focussing on running Windows, AntiVirus, Firewall, etc etc, and have
> the other core dedicated to the game? Doesn't that mean the dual-core
> processor would be faster?

Dual core overclocking rocks. I've seen a X2/4800 with one core clocked at stock (2.4) and the other core clocked at 3.8 on stock cooling 4.6 on Water! Quite facinated by the ability to clock the cores individually.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.