GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"xbox rubbish? nah."

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 21/08/05 at 23:52
Regular
"hammy boy"
at first i never used to like the xbox and thought that it stood no chance against the ps2 but it did. after i had played halo 2 at my cousins several weeks ago i had a change of heart. the graphics were simply brilliant and the gameplay was much faster than that of the ps2. i couldnt stop playin it after that. now that the xbox 360 is being released in november(possibly anyway) i will get that for my christmas and i think i will give the ps3 a miss this time around. i can't wait for christmas to come so i can get my first ever xbox:D
Tue 20/09/05 at 19:10
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Yeah, PS3 will win because it has more space on the medium it uses....that won't be used 99% of the time, if ever.
Tue 20/09/05 at 18:21
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Nice win, Brucey.
Tue 23/08/05 at 01:05
Regular
Finally, someone who knows a thing or two about computer architecture ;).
Tue 23/08/05 at 00:20
"I love yo... lamp."
Procedural Synthesis is one hell of a trick.

It'd also reduce the space needed for textures come to think of it...

I don't see the Xbox 360 being handicapped by the DVD drive. It wouldn't be difficult to make games double sided if need be and that would give them 18 GB storage. Or for the sake of a few pence, just use a second disk.

Also the main way that a console can "better" another is in terms of presentation. I don't think that the second generation of PS3 games will be any better looking than their Xbox 360 counterparts. Both consoles have stacks of processing power, although the PS3 is hampered by (relatively) low memory bandwidth.
Mon 22/08/05 at 23:28
Regular
"8==="
Very similar machines on paper.

Currently it looks like the Xbox will be better for online games and it should be adequate for mulitiformat titles to (the differences between the same game running on either of the two machines should be minor).

Marketing-wise and branding-wise is anyone's game, Microsoft can keep throwing cash at things, however.
Mon 22/08/05 at 14:11
Regular
The only way to fill a Blu-Ray disc is to add more content.

Higher resolutions blah, blah, blah all sounds good in theory, but it's physically impractical to get that off of the disc into the 512Mb memory in a fast and efficient way.

With the multi-core processors there will be a bigger impact given by using procedural geometry and texturing anyway, for some very nice effects.

The Blu-Ray discs will allow developers to add more video footage and more high quality audio.

But to add up to 5 times as much content to PS3 games will be financially inhibited as the game development lifecycle will rise exponentially with the increase in time it takes to make high quality art.

Larger teams, or longer lifecycles all means more money, higher burn rates, and an average price of only £10 per game wont fund games much bigger than we are seeing on current consoles already.

You'll find programmers being given a much larger responsability to write algorithms to generate art, things like trees, etc. in real time using code, rather than filling the disc with ever more model data.

It's much quicker to load a little bit of code which generates model data, than it is to load all of that same data from a disc.

Multi-core processing means procedural geometry, just ask Microsoft ;).

[URL]http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu/xbox360-1.ars[/URL]

That's an article on arstechnica to back me up :).
Mon 22/08/05 at 13:01
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Not a chance... No more than 500MB wil have been music. And, say that in GTA5 a lot of it WAS music (although it won't be) that's still part of the game. It's still part of the experience...

They've already guaranteed Single and Double Layered Blu-Ray discs.. that's around 50GB to play with.. developers will use that. They'll make textures a higher resolution, add more AI routines, include more music, more voice-overs, more gameplay modes, more multiplayer elements...

Filling a Blu-Ray disc won't be hard.
Mon 22/08/05 at 12:59
Regular
It is indeed a standard DVD drive. How crappy. I wonder how they expect to utilise and implement proper HD content with a standard DVD. It's gonna be a squeeze once the console reaches mid-generation.
Mon 22/08/05 at 12:55
Regular
Game wrote:

> Somebody told someone, just as the PS2 was announced, that they had
> to fill up a DVD and they probably laughed then, but look at San
> Andreas... packed it to the brim....

The majority of that was taken up by the soundtrack. Take away the soundtrack though and you'd be lucky to fill up half the disk.
Mon 22/08/05 at 12:53
Regular
I'd love to see you drive from one side to the other in 5 minutes. Only way that'd be possible is in a plane, certainly not a car.

Oh and there were 3 cities and it was supposed to be a State.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.