GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Thinking of getting an Xbox"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 15/10/04 at 21:27
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
As the title says i'm considering getting an Xbox so to make my decision for me i was just wondering could someone give me a list of good RPG's (only turned based and strategy, none of this repetitive live action crap) and good FPS (preferably stealthy type games and not *run into room, kill 20 guys while taking 300 hits and repeat*) and also a list of good games that are online.

Plus is it true with Xbox Live you can play people anywhere in the world and not just Europe?

Thank you
Mon 18/10/04 at 20:40
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
Xbox Live is almost Lag-Free, seriously, im not even being sarcastic. Compared to SOCOM (which doesn't even allow you to play foriegners) it's excellent.

I haven't played on it for a while though, just haven't had the time and desperately need a new game.

I really reccomend you get an Xbox.

BTW, alot of people seem to have been getting Xboxes lately...

Oh and on Xbox Live you dont have to press a button to speak, but dont let that put you off - it doesn't make the game lag more.

I think Xbox Live hardly has any problems because it's all run by Microsoft meaning every game will be as good (as in lag-free, very stuctured etc) as each other.

EA games I dont think are run by MS via online which is why they aren't so good online.

Sorry if this dont make sense, Im attempting to multi-task and finding it very hard.

:(
Mon 18/10/04 at 20:18
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
What's the online like? Is there much lag or not?

Yea i like FPS games where i can pick off soldiers one by one without a whole army converging on me for no good reason and then still keep coming and coming until you finally move to another area. I like the Ghost Recon games for that as you can surround a base after picking off the sentries and then just charge it before the enemy even know what's happening.

I am interested in Fable though, sounds like a very good game. Must check it out in more detail
Mon 18/10/04 at 20:09
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
When you get Xbox Live.......ADD ME!!1111!!

Erm...yer.
Mon 18/10/04 at 00:54
"I love yo... lamp."
RPGs aren't really my thing, other than KOTOR, Morrowind, Fable, Sudeki and the Baldur's Gate games, I can't think of any RPGs on Xbox.

But FPS on the other hand... you want stealthy? By that I take it semi-realistic, in which case first on the list would be Rainbow Six 3. Arcadey enough that you can run around Doom style on easy, hard as nails on harder settings. You'll need to have your grenades and night vision and leaning and stuff down to a tee. It's the game that made me give up SOCOM after aroudn... ooh 17 seconds. Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow is similar, with a few new modes and different maps.

Ghost Recon and Ghost Recon: Island Thunder are also realistic type shooters that are in the SOCOM vein. The great thing about the aforementioned four is that they can all be got rather cheaply now. There are masses of FPS on the Xbox, most of them good or very good, so there is plenty of choice.

Live is what makes it fantastic though. I'd be happy with the Xbox offline, but I really love it online.
Mon 18/10/04 at 00:49
lalakersrule wrote:
> In what way Icarus?
>
> (could have done the poor *How so* joke but nah :-D)

Despite not understanding, everything was fine until one *I think* asked me a question; there was a slight pause after, so in the most neutral voice, I politely grunted to acknowlege him. Obviously I did soemthing wrong because it was quiet for the remainder of the match, and I left quickly afterwards.
Mon 18/10/04 at 00:41
Regular
"8==="
Turnbased RPG's/Strategy

Gladius
Wrath Unleashed

Just got back into Wrath Unleashed, been playing it in multiplayer which is fantastic.
Mon 18/10/04 at 00:25
Regular
"Teal'c"
And a Belldandy free zone for that matter.
Mon 18/10/04 at 00:23
Regular
Oh and you don't find that many Japanease people on Live, I played a few a while back on Midtown Madness 3 but that was a one off.

I guess until Microsoft bring out an online girlfriend simulator or a game with schoolgirls with large eyes and frequent underwear shots, Live will probably be a Jap free zone...
Mon 18/10/04 at 00:19
Regular
Oh and other games I recommend that are online would be...

Project Gotham 2
Rallisport Challenge 2
TOCA Race Driver 2
Splinter Cell Pandorra Tomorrow
Soldier of Fortune 2
Top Spin
Amped 2
Star Wars : Battlefront
Burnout 3
Return to Castle Wolfenstein

I'm sure there's plenty more, just depends what sorts of games you're after.

Xbox's strongest genres would definetly be 1st Person shooters and Racing, if you like either of those then you'll be spoilt for choice.
Mon 18/10/04 at 00:16
Regular
Turn Based RPG's wise the only games I can think of that are worth playing would be Star Wars : KOTOR and then coming soon there's KOTOR 2, Bard's Tale and Jade Empire (looks amazing!).

RPG's certainly aren't one of the Xbox's strong points. Though the ones it does have are all very good or look to be very good.

First person shooters online I'd say Rainbow Six 3 : Black Arrow is a must. Ghost Recon : Island Thunder's worth a go, probably be better off waiting for Ghost Recon 2 though as that looks superb. Counterstrike's definetly worth a look as long as you don't mind the rather basic graphics.

Then of course you've got Halo 2 which is an absoloute must, Men of Valor's supposedly very good online as long as you like your shooting more slow paced than normal. Call of Duty's looking very cool oh and Far Cry next year should be good, first game to have custom content available to it so you should never get bored of the levels....hopefully.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.