GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is this what it's like to be old?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 20/08/05 at 09:47
Regular
"That's right!"
I'm 21, I work full time and my career dreams have been put on hold so I can support myself. A while ago I got a debit card, and while waiting in the queue at the Nationwide, I realised I was old. Queuing in banks was something my parents did and dragged me along for the ride...

On Thursday I took the day off work to go to the hospital. Not to relax, not to get away from work and get drunk with my friends - so I could go to the hospital at 11am (only time I could get) then go home. I couldn't accept that so I texted my mate The Fos and he came to town to meet me when I was finished there (though I had to go back the next day for a blood test)

After seeing The Island with said mate and having a quick beer I went home, then went to look at a house with my mate (The Wal) my dad, Wal's brother and his wife and The Fos. The idea of owning a house with my mate (with a girl you're more likely to split up and that causes hassle) has me more than a little bit excited. But all this talk of mortgages, bills, re-decorating, and costs etc. has me scared in a "I'm only 21, I wish I was only 17 again" sort of way.

As if trying to keep a personal life, a social life and a love life together wasn't bad enough.

That's not to mention the holiday coming up in October, and the drugs I'm being put on for my skin that has a list of side effects that manages to fill two columns of small text on an A4 sheet. Depression and/or suicide, diabetes, hair loss, bone deformity, slight loss of sight/hearing, back pain, kidney and liver infections; that's just off the top of my head (OK, I had a sly peek at the piece of paper, but that's only about a quarter of what I can get from it, it's the stuff that made the papers, namely The Daily Mail, because some kid killed himself while on it) Just waiting for the results of the blood test to see if I can go on them (and that's AFTER they made me pay for them)

Is this it? Am I destined to work for HMRC (that's the new name for the Inland Revenue) for the rest of my life, paying off a mortgage and never getting to pursue my film making dreams? If I'd worked harder at school and actually bothered showing up to lessons then I could've gone to uni like my brother and sister, who are both pulling in at least 25 grand a year now while I'm on half that. I'm good at my job, but being on temporary contracts means the chances of promotion are laughable - it just doesn't happen. And rather then make me permanent, they'll just wait for my contract to expire (so they can say they're cutting jobs) then bring in someone to replace me the next month. Work's great because I've met loads of new people, got loads of girls' numbers (mostly as friends but two with the potential for more) and gained some skills but when it's over I'm going to brick myself; the prospect of going off to a new place, learning totally new work and having to make new friends again scares me. I've been moved around loads and always made new friends, but it's always been similar work.

I'm getting old and life's responsibilities are finally catching up with me. Soon I'll have to learn how to iron...

OK, rant over, just had some stuff to whine about and my mates are probably sick of hearing about it.
Mon 22/08/05 at 21:09
Regular
English_Bloke wrote:
> Goatboy wrote:
> I've been christened with one but I'm not divulging.
>
> Stumpy? No? Am I close?

I think it's "Nobby-no-mates".

*Remembers Men Behaving Badly*

Edit button <- I funking love you.
Mon 22/08/05 at 21:04
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Goatboy wrote:
> I've been christened with one but I'm not divulging.

Stumpy? No? Am I close?
Mon 22/08/05 at 20:52
Regular
I used to know someone who we called Rat. He tried like hell to make us call him something else, therefore we didn't. Don't know what happened to him, maybe he's graduated to a Whizzo nickname.
Mon 22/08/05 at 20:47
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I dont have "names" for my mates, because they have names already.
There are a few nicknames at work though. Ratboy, Whizzo, Buster, Pixie.
I've been christened with one but I'm not divulging.
Mon 22/08/05 at 20:40
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> It sounds sad, and it is, but I bet you all have daft names for your
> mates too.

'David,' 'John,' 'Brian.'

We're cray-zee.
Mon 22/08/05 at 19:49
Regular
Dear god, that's complex. No wonder you don't mentioned that many friends.

I'm sadly not as imaginative with the naming process. I call one of my mates 'X' though.

Oh, and people occasionally call me G Man too. But I look at them until they stop. It can take a while.
Mon 22/08/05 at 19:44
Regular
"That's right!"
It's Wal I'll be moving in with.

And I'm known as G. Not because I'm some gangsta wannabe, it's a long and pointless story that you'd never want to know. And here it is.

Back in highschool my nickname was Rummers (because my surname is Rumney) and there was a kid called William Gibson, called Willers/Willas. Someone called him Willers G (G for Gibson, remember) and someone said "Hey, Rummers G" (are we all following so far? Stryke, you look a little bored) That was when I was 14, and it soon was shortened to G and now people still know me as G, seven years on.

Wal, Fos and G. Sometimes "Man" gets added to everyone's name (no, I don't know why) So it can be Wal Man, Fos Man, G Man, Seb Man, or we refer to each other as "The" - The Wal, The Fos, The G, or combinations like The G Man (not affiliated with Half Life)

It sounds sad, and it is, but I bet you all have daft names for your mates too.

Do you see?
Mon 22/08/05 at 17:01
Regular
Which one is it, Wal or Fos?

Speaking of, what are you known as to these people? The Moj?
Mon 22/08/05 at 16:56
Regular
"That's right!"
I spent first few years of my life trying to control my bladder - when it goes on the blink again when I'm old I think I'm gonna cry.

"May I suggest you rent somewhere together first, if only for a couple of months. Just to make sure."

Na, we're alright, we've been mates for years and he often kips around here when my family's away and I've lived at his when his has been away.

Even if we do get sick of each other, we're both at work during the day so only have evenings and weekends to worry about, and then we'll be with our respective ladies and/or other friends.

We've been planning this for years, he's one of a few mates who I could actually bare to live with.
Mon 22/08/05 at 13:06
Regular
You're buying a house with mates, at 21?

From previous experiences, I highly recommend as someone said that you try renting first.

Oh and suck it up you big girl. If you consider going to the hospital (were you being treated for bunions or something?) and going to the bank to be signs that you're getting old, you really haven't seen anything yet.

When you loose control of your bladder or get arthritis, then you have a right to complain.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.