GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is this what it's like to be old?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 20/08/05 at 09:47
Regular
"That's right!"
I'm 21, I work full time and my career dreams have been put on hold so I can support myself. A while ago I got a debit card, and while waiting in the queue at the Nationwide, I realised I was old. Queuing in banks was something my parents did and dragged me along for the ride...

On Thursday I took the day off work to go to the hospital. Not to relax, not to get away from work and get drunk with my friends - so I could go to the hospital at 11am (only time I could get) then go home. I couldn't accept that so I texted my mate The Fos and he came to town to meet me when I was finished there (though I had to go back the next day for a blood test)

After seeing The Island with said mate and having a quick beer I went home, then went to look at a house with my mate (The Wal) my dad, Wal's brother and his wife and The Fos. The idea of owning a house with my mate (with a girl you're more likely to split up and that causes hassle) has me more than a little bit excited. But all this talk of mortgages, bills, re-decorating, and costs etc. has me scared in a "I'm only 21, I wish I was only 17 again" sort of way.

As if trying to keep a personal life, a social life and a love life together wasn't bad enough.

That's not to mention the holiday coming up in October, and the drugs I'm being put on for my skin that has a list of side effects that manages to fill two columns of small text on an A4 sheet. Depression and/or suicide, diabetes, hair loss, bone deformity, slight loss of sight/hearing, back pain, kidney and liver infections; that's just off the top of my head (OK, I had a sly peek at the piece of paper, but that's only about a quarter of what I can get from it, it's the stuff that made the papers, namely The Daily Mail, because some kid killed himself while on it) Just waiting for the results of the blood test to see if I can go on them (and that's AFTER they made me pay for them)

Is this it? Am I destined to work for HMRC (that's the new name for the Inland Revenue) for the rest of my life, paying off a mortgage and never getting to pursue my film making dreams? If I'd worked harder at school and actually bothered showing up to lessons then I could've gone to uni like my brother and sister, who are both pulling in at least 25 grand a year now while I'm on half that. I'm good at my job, but being on temporary contracts means the chances of promotion are laughable - it just doesn't happen. And rather then make me permanent, they'll just wait for my contract to expire (so they can say they're cutting jobs) then bring in someone to replace me the next month. Work's great because I've met loads of new people, got loads of girls' numbers (mostly as friends but two with the potential for more) and gained some skills but when it's over I'm going to brick myself; the prospect of going off to a new place, learning totally new work and having to make new friends again scares me. I've been moved around loads and always made new friends, but it's always been similar work.

I'm getting old and life's responsibilities are finally catching up with me. Soon I'll have to learn how to iron...

OK, rant over, just had some stuff to whine about and my mates are probably sick of hearing about it.
Wed 24/08/05 at 18:52
Regular
"That's right!"
Blank wrote:
> The animals in the zoo don't know I'm mocking them, but I do it all
> the same.

-----

Classic.
Tue 23/08/05 at 20:11
Regular
*Hums Placebo*
Tue 23/08/05 at 20:07
Regular
"I like beef"
lcarus wrote:
> .:~Bubblez~:. wrote:
>
>
>
> Anyways MoJoJoJo..now you're older think about all the things about
> being young you won't miss. Trying to get into an over 18's club
> with
> the fake ID, having your own place so you don't need to answer to
> your
> mum any more etc etc etc..
>
>
> Increased risk of cancer, actually having to look after yourself as
> your body shows visible signs of degradation, bones starting to
> creak, decreased reaction time, loss of wit and ability to
> "get" things, thought of a mid like crisis pending, chances
> of getting "that dream job" ever diminishing.... all kind of
> pales in comparision to "not having a fake ID" and
> "telling your parents to stuff it", don't ya think?

Yeah, fair point.

Before, I wished I was older, for various random reasons, (mainly to do with alcohol), but now, I really don't care because you're never going to "stop getting older". I can understand though. I'm still young, but sometimes I worry that one of these days the bladder's gonna go. Or the fingers. Or the back. or the heart...

That was pretty insightful for me.
Tue 23/08/05 at 19:41
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
lcarus wrote:
> Lori will never decipher that cryptic ellipsis, Blank.

The animals in the zoo don't know I'm mocking them, but I do it all the same.
Tue 23/08/05 at 19:20
.:~Bubblez~:. wrote:

>
> Anyways MoJoJoJo..now you're older think about all the things about
> being young you won't miss. Trying to get into an over 18's club with
> the fake ID, having your own place so you don't need to answer to your
> mum any more etc etc etc..

Increased risk of cancer, actually having to look after yourself as your body shows visible signs of degradation, bones starting to creak, decreased reaction time, loss of wit and ability to "get" things, thought of a mid like crisis pending, chances of getting "that dream job" ever diminishing.... all kind of pales in comparision to "not having a fake ID" and "telling your parents to stuff it", don't ya think?
Tue 23/08/05 at 19:17
Lori will never decipher that cryptic ellipsis, Blank.

Something like, "I'm now 21, and I feel the same as I did when I turned 18" might work though.
Tue 23/08/05 at 19:12
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
.:~Bubblez~:. wrote:
> I don't feel old at all. I still feel 18 but I have to remind myself I
> am 21 next year.

Tue 23/08/05 at 17:40
Regular
"leaf it aaaaht"
I don't feel old at all. I still feel 18 but I have to remind myself I am 21 next year.

As you all know I live with EB so we've got rent and bills and work and joint accounts and savings and all the other 'grown-up' stuff to worry about but I still feel young, and that's the way I like it.

One thing which did happen to me the other day made me feel all mature and..grown uppy. My friend was moaning about her boyfriend and how she can't read his text messages but he can read hers which to me sounds slightly dodgy. Then the next day a different friend was telling me how her blokes friend made a pass at her and now all his friends hate her for cheating on her boyfriend, although she never. Then her friend said that her boyfriend tried to kiss or or something-or-other. Don't worry if you can't follow, it's not important.

Anyhoo...the reson it made me feel all mature is because I am very settled in the relationship I'm in now and I won't ever have to worry about ''theres a girl he works with who keeps texting him and so-and-so said she saw them kissing blah blah blah'' I actually feel like a mature person rather than a teenager worrying if I'll have a date on friday, but I don't feel old.

Anyways MoJoJoJo..now you're older think about all the things about being young you won't miss. Trying to get into an over 18's club with the fake ID, having your own place so you don't need to answer to your mum any more etc etc etc..

T'is great.
Mon 22/08/05 at 21:14
Regular
It was, it's just that I can't recite from films/tv so I add and remove words as I please.
Mon 22/08/05 at 21:11
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
I think that was "nobby no-mates".

I think.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.