GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sid Meier's Pirates!"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/08/05 at 19:04
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Don't. Seriously. It's awful.

"Take the helm of 27 upgradeable ship types" - and get all 27 of them stuck on a coast somewhere without being able to move.

"Visit ports to receive missions; build your crew, trade goods - even dance!" - press X, press X, press X, and if after this you're still there and get as far as the dancing, press what buttons you're told to in the bemani pirate version of Come Dancing.

"Jump into arcade-style 4-player Versus ship battles" - the challenge here is to find 3 other people willing to sit there, mash the X button and avoid getting their ships stuck on a coast somewhere without being able to move.

"Upload scores, and download sails, flags and content using Xbox Live" - the scores are there, there is nothing to download though. Probably just as well, unless they're going to offer rubber tyres to let your ships bounce of coasts rather than get stuck in them.

"Avast! Battle enemy ships!" - mash X.

"En garde! Duel famous pirates!" - mash X.

"Aargh! Sneak through ports!" - imagine trying to play Splinter Cell entirely in first-person view. On a wurlitzer. Whilst sea-sick.
Fri 12/08/05 at 12:26
Regular
Is that Pirates of the Carribean actually any good then?
Fri 12/08/05 at 12:03
Regular
If you want an enjoyable pirate game then get 'Pirates of the Caribbean'. Seriously, don't laugh.

The learning curve is waaaaaay too steep, though.
Fri 12/08/05 at 11:20
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Hedfix wrote:
> Nostalgia.

I can just about comprehend how this may be of some interest for nostalgia reasons, but this is one of those "non-games" that if you spend 30-odd quid on it makes you mad (even if you receive a full refund).
Fri 12/08/05 at 00:45
Regular
The IGN review says: "It's easily the best pirate game on the system, perhaps ever."

There's a few ways you can look at this, but the upshot of it all is that you can:

a) heed my words of warning as a cross-genre cross-platform gamer for over 25 years who thinks that Sid Meier's Pirates is the greatest thing since Barbie's Race and Ride, (although Barbie's Race and Ride had some variety at least)

or you can

b) heed the effusive praise given by the IGN reviewer, hope you like the same kind of mind numbingly annoying bemani-stockmarket-menu-driven-rts glitch-fests that he does, fork out £30 and pray to God they didn't get the 9 and the 2 the wrong way round when they posted up the score

The only plus-point I discovered was that you could sail into any port, divide up the booty with your shipmates and finish the career mode (the only mode unless you can find 3 friends to play this with you) in less than 5 minutes.
Fri 12/08/05 at 00:11
Regular
"8==="
Nostalgia.

Like I said: It's like Robin Hood: Defender of the Crown.

Fun for 7 quid but you don't want to pay £30+ for it.
Fri 12/08/05 at 00:09
Regular
"Laughingstock"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> Don't. Seriously. It's awful.

Absolutely. Damn awful game.
And IGN gave it 9.2. What!?!
Thu 11/08/05 at 22:08
Regular
Gah!

I had high hopes for this and all I've heard is bad things. Magazine reviews seem to all love it, but all I've heard from people I've spoken too is that it's a load of crap.
Thu 11/08/05 at 19:10
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
It sounds terrible. Pirates are only good in real-life, raping and pillaging.
Thu 11/08/05 at 19:04
Regular
Don't. Seriously. It's awful.

"Take the helm of 27 upgradeable ship types" - and get all 27 of them stuck on a coast somewhere without being able to move.

"Visit ports to receive missions; build your crew, trade goods - even dance!" - press X, press X, press X, and if after this you're still there and get as far as the dancing, press what buttons you're told to in the bemani pirate version of Come Dancing.

"Jump into arcade-style 4-player Versus ship battles" - the challenge here is to find 3 other people willing to sit there, mash the X button and avoid getting their ships stuck on a coast somewhere without being able to move.

"Upload scores, and download sails, flags and content using Xbox Live" - the scores are there, there is nothing to download though. Probably just as well, unless they're going to offer rubber tyres to let your ships bounce of coasts rather than get stuck in them.

"Avast! Battle enemy ships!" - mash X.

"En garde! Duel famous pirates!" - mash X.

"Aargh! Sneak through ports!" - imagine trying to play Splinter Cell entirely in first-person view. On a wurlitzer. Whilst sea-sick.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.