GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Prince of Persia: Warrior Within"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Prince of Persia: Warrior Within'.
Mon 18/10/04 at 16:24
Regular
I must admit, outside of Metal Gear 3 this is my most wanted game of the year, since the announcement I have been really looking forward to getting my hands on a sequel to what has to be one of the finest action/platform games I have ever played. The original wasn't without its fair share of faults though, at times the game speed was slow, the combat was repetitive and completely random and poorly laid out. This was over looked due to the sublime platform sections and a solid story.

Yesterday I got my hands on the PC demo of Warrior Within; the sequel due out mid November; I said it with Ninja Gaiden and I have to say it again now, this is how to make a sequel...

Those of you who have followed the progress of the sequel will be aware of the darker and more sinister approach to the Prince and yes this isn't just a myth or rumour, the game is a hell of a lot darker than before. This is clear from the word go with the calming mid-eastern style music replaced by some Goth/rock music and a funkier looking menu system.

The opening scene is truly spectacular and those who have watched the IGN Insider developer documentaries will be aware of the ship section which featured heavily throughout the interview. The actual story of the game isn't all too clear from the demo. It opens with an FMV of the Prince (complete with Wu-Tang style hooded top) stood looking out to sea on board a ship in the middle of a heavy storm. From here the game runs through a few flash backs of the Prince fighting and of the mysterious section of the game which sees a Palace revert back hundreds of years, again; those who have seen and read about the game will be aware of this and what effect it has on the story.

From here a few pirate/freaks jump on board and still in FMV mode the Prince slits the throat of one and rips his Wu-Tang piece of to whip out the sword. This is where you jump into the action.

The opening sections are basically a really brief but helpful tutorial which take you through single weapon, dual weapon, decapitations, grab moves and a few other important stuff. Rather than dragging on you only have to perform the move once before it moves on and this is all during the in game time so it isn't like you are taken away from the story for a pretty much surplus training section with no relation to what is actually going on.

By this time the ship is on fire and pretty much falling to pieces however I must have spent a good hour or so just fri**ing around at the start trying out all the different moves, especially the dual weapon decaps ;)

Visually it looks sublime, the character models are a hell of a lot more detailed this time around with facial damage and what not. The opening environment look spectacular with plenty going on in the background. Vibrant colours and effects lead the way however the subtle touches like facial damage and foot prints all add to the overall feel.

To sum the demo up it is pretty much what I expected. The fighting is far deeper with more variation, the new darker look works a treat and I am sure it will help the game to sell a hell of a lot more, especially when the average 12 year old sees that you can decap enemies and perform so really excellent looking combos. Visually it is a lot stronger, the story looks promising, the controls are extremely tight and responsive (keyboard and mouse) and overall I have to say...

If I had to choose between Halo 2 and this, I would have to opt for this, role on mid November!
Tue 19/10/04 at 16:00
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Just got the demo downloaded.

Off I go...

s'alright.
Tue 19/10/04 at 15:57
Regular
Never even played the last Prince of Persia, probably should pick it up at some point.
Tue 19/10/04 at 15:56
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Hang on.

PM2 - 11th? I.e Halo 2 day
TOS - 19th
MP2 - 26th

OFFS!

I hate them alL!!!!!1
Tue 19/10/04 at 15:49
Regular
Two weeks before, then ToS the week before.
Tue 19/10/04 at 14:06
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Isn't PM2 coming out on the same day as MP2 as well?!
Tue 19/10/04 at 12:32
Regular
I keep remembering I have to get PoP 2.

Bit annoying it's coming out on the same day as Minish Cap and Prime 2. Will be quite a day for games.
Tue 19/10/04 at 11:46
Regular
"gametag:thebestbit"
loved the first so this is a must have game for me
Tue 19/10/04 at 10:59
Regular
I personally thought Chaos Theory was better to play. On POP2, you were restricted to that boat and it seemed you were battling endless enemies until you died.

At least in Chaos Theory, you actually had a purpose.

That's not to say I won't be getting POP2 though, it still looks fantastic, just that Chaos Theory is higher up on my To-Buy list.
Mon 18/10/04 at 23:14
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Stupidly, it comes out the same day as Metroid Prime Echoes, so I think I'll be delaying it's pruchase. When I played it at gamestars though, it did seem amazing. Ubi Soft really are becoming rather good.
Mon 18/10/04 at 20:45
Regular
"For One Night Only"
I was very impressed with the prince's first Xbox outing, so there is no doubt I'll be getting the sequel.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.