GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Will PSP hurt DS?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 10/08/05 at 11:14
"possibly impossible"
Sony's new handheld is going to make a dent in the handheld domain normally cosily held by Nintendo, but how much will it affect Ninty?

Will the people who would have bought a DS now buy a PSP instead? Well, I think not. Given that most people who would have bought a DS or any new Nintendo handheld, buy it because they know what it does anyway, launching the PSP will only encourage Playstation fans and those casual gamers familiar with the brands it produces. That, coupled with the £180 price will mean that the usual Nintendo userbase won't really suffer that much.

I guess the question is, how many more people can Sony hope to pursuade to get into handheld gaming (the people who wouldn't normally be interested at all)?
Thu 11/08/05 at 03:52
Regular
I have officially changed my mind.

After taking another look, I think it'll fit the music player style quite well.

A little bit big, but that was inevitable, since it's not just an mp3 player!
Wed 10/08/05 at 19:14
Regular
Maybe, but they've missed a big chance to shape is as a music-player-plus, it's just not designed for it.

And its appeal as a standalone handheld is restricted by being outdated by the DS and not so distinct from the GBA and SP.
Wed 10/08/05 at 17:31
Regular
I disagree, I believe it is probably terrible but I believe it'll appeal very highly to the mass market.
Wed 10/08/05 at 17:30
Regular
"SP: Fun as chips." Nice.

I'd like to see ninty do more with the mini-GBA. It could have worked with the play-yan official sd card music player, been something like an i-pod plus.

But it'd have to be marketed correctly, and the design just doesn't look like a stylish compact music and games device.

A missed opportunity methinks.
Wed 10/08/05 at 17:00
Regular
The PSP has done wonders for Nintendo. A competitive market breeds new gamers, adult gamers are really getting into handheld gaming now... an area previously just for children.

Nintendo haven't ignored this. For the kids they still have their cheap as chips and just as fun GBA SP. Whilst the DS and PSP are gunning for a more mature line up.

Look at the weekly sales figures in Japan. Last week nearly 50,000 handhelds were shipped, 30,000 belonged to Nintendo. 30,000 is more handhelds sold this week than it was last week... handheld market has hit boom time. A prosperous few years for Nintendo and Sony.
Wed 10/08/05 at 12:51
Regular
"Touched!"
I'm in the same boat as you PB, I love my DS and the games out and coming out, but the PSP games take my fancy too so I'll be getting mine on launch. I can see it being a close battle, but the DS is cheaper and generally I can see a lot of people waiting for a PSP price drop before shelling out. The DS has a very attractive price point, which has a major factor, that and Ninty have been established in the handheld market for years. Sony do have the advantage of the playstation name though. It's going to be close in Europe I rekon. I think Nintendo will end up winners in Japan though.
Wed 10/08/05 at 12:40
"possibly impossible"
Well, if the console market can survive with 2 to 3 consoles in competition and still provide some profit for the companies, then I can't see why the DS and PSP can't be both in the market at the same time. They should still allow their company to make profits and competition can be healthy.

If you look at it that way, I believe the DS won't suffer from potential loss of sales and the PSP will also have enough dedicated buyers for Sony to make a good profit on games.

As for me, I have my DS and I'm proud of it, but I'm also getting a PSP at UK launch as there are games I want to play on it.
Wed 10/08/05 at 11:56
Regular
"8==="
Nintendo aren't just focusing on the DS.

There's the mini-GB and potentially another handheld too.

I guess the idea is to have the most innovative machine + the cheapest machine and knockout another one too that's another GB variation.
Wed 10/08/05 at 11:50
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
I think it'll actually be a really close battle between the two. The DS continues to outsell the PSP in Japan, but I fear that eventually the PSP will do much better here. Apparently the DS has sold over a million units in Europe now, though, so that one million headstart could prove quite vital, actually. And maybe just maybe a price drop around the PSP's launch time could help increase that gap even further.

Yes, the PSP will hurt Nintendo's handheld market share, but only because before this year Nintendo was basically the only company with a handheld market share at all. As for actually hurting the DS, though, worldwide I don't think so.
Wed 10/08/05 at 11:14
"possibly impossible"
Sony's new handheld is going to make a dent in the handheld domain normally cosily held by Nintendo, but how much will it affect Ninty?

Will the people who would have bought a DS now buy a PSP instead? Well, I think not. Given that most people who would have bought a DS or any new Nintendo handheld, buy it because they know what it does anyway, launching the PSP will only encourage Playstation fans and those casual gamers familiar with the brands it produces. That, coupled with the £180 price will mean that the usual Nintendo userbase won't really suffer that much.

I guess the question is, how many more people can Sony hope to pursuade to get into handheld gaming (the people who wouldn't normally be interested at all)?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.