GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Humour in games."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/06/01 at 18:23
Regular
What about it?

Well, there aren't enough funny games. The Monkey Islands were great... as were most of the Lucasarts adventures, Day of the Tentacle and Sam and Max especially... but humour seems to be lacking in most games these days.

I'm not talking about little things, like Solid Snake shuffling in a locker, but more of the type of game that's funny all the way through.

Many have tried and failed badly, the Larry series is a good example of games that are supposed to be very funny, but fall flat on their face.

And, as it seems the main source of humour in games, Lucasarts, aren't making adventures anymore, what can we look forward to?

The only funny game that's been around recently is Conker's Bad Fur Day. I love anything that takes the mick out of famous films...

So... instead of discussing about humour in games, try and think of some of the funniest games you've played. Saying "Microsoft Train Simulator is quite a funny game" or something of simular context will not be accepted. It's too obvious, and just isn't funny.

Actually, discuss what the hell you want. It's not as if we're going to stick to the subject anyway. :0)
Mon 04/06/01 at 22:33
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I think we gotten a bit too philosophical and need to relax and say that laughter is great no matter where it comes from.
Mon 04/06/01 at 22:28
Regular
fitz wrote:
"Conkers Bad Fur Day".

It's not the poo jokes that make me laugh. It's the rip offs of films that make me laugh.
Mon 04/06/01 at 22:21
Any game that tries to implement humor will always face difficulties due to the fact that over the past decade the gaming market has enveloped an entire new age range. Now gaming is accepted and played by people ranging from 3 to 33, and as such apllying humor to cater for all these tastes will almost always fail.
The track record will always dictate this. Games from far back have had trouble implementing humor, ever since "Leisure suit Larry" tried to appeal to, at the time a non-existent adult gaming comunity. Since then however, the adult gaming community has grown, but it still remains difficult due to the wide age range.
It is impossible to make a game that will be funny to all age ranges. I think that the most appauling example of this has to be "Conkers Bad Fur Day". A game that is aimed solely at adults, although the toilet humor involved will only be appreciated by children.
There have been good attempts at funny games, but any game containing adult humor will be rated as such, and so the rigidity of the UK ratings systems will always hold back these games. There will be no plot in a game that will be able to justify both adult and childish humour. Duke Nukem tried, although the only context in which the language and humor could be justified would be in a game for over 18's. I think that unlike the partially successful inter-relationship between films and games, the mixing of humour and gaming will not ultimately work until two different markets have been indentified, and as such can be marketed differently. Although the gaming market as a whole has seen enormous growth over the past few years, there is not enough money in it to supported targeted niche market games, as games like Vib Ribbon have shown.

Until two separate markets are indentified and carefully targeted, then any age related humorous games will fail, as the spectrum of gamers are not large enough, or gullable enough to buy such poor attempts at humour in large scale quantities
Mon 04/06/01 at 22:16
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I think there is too much serious and not enough laughter in games. Laughter is the cure for everything!
Mon 04/06/01 at 21:56
I think Microsoft should make a humourous game to shake off their heartless image.

I would suggest the Title King Nerd... the game would see the young Billy Gates grow up through life trying to become popular, pull girls and create programming languages.

Can Billy juggle the joys of his newly emmering pubescent sexual desire with his plans to create a global monopoly?
Mon 04/06/01 at 21:54
Regular
Banjo-Tooie is very funny at almost every turn, Kazooie always makes rude comments and the humour is more for adults to understand but aimed at kids. I find one part of a game very funny, on the sims when you start a fire and the Sims go mad:sounds a bit sick but beleave me it's very funny.
Mon 04/06/01 at 21:09
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Grix Thraves wrote:

I have their phone number if you want it.

Sad, very sad.... lol
Mon 04/06/01 at 21:05
Regular
"Whatever!"
The South Park games had the right sort of humour - Shame they were crap!!
I like the humour in Conkers, that is class. Ive got Stupid Invaders but havent actually played it yet but from what Ive played from the demo it looks pretty good!!
Mon 04/06/01 at 21:00
Fallout 2 was another great game for humour (and Fallout, but Fallout 2 was bigger and more recent). It was an excellent mixture of the serious, the funny and the ugly... no wait, not serious.

The best thing is that there are some hilarious responses that you don't even have to say to make them funny. You really have to play the game. No I mean it, you have to or you will miss out on one of the most entertaining games in the world. It's got great gameplay too, plus a lot of freedom of choice. It's an RPG you see. If I was to tell you any one of the millions of hilarious jokes (may be an exaggeration, but I'm not so sure) you would still have no idea how funny it was. Plus the joke wouldn't be as funny since it would be out of context and poorly described. Just play the game, although you might want to play the first one before you do since it is also excellent and if you play them in order you'll get some of the running jokes.

What are you waiting for? Go and order it now, you're already on the site, it won't take long and you can probably get it on budget now! Trust me, it truly is great and you should try it. It's worth buying a PC just to play it.
Mon 04/06/01 at 20:38
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Funny games... there have been a few.

The earthworm Jim series were undeniably amusing. not sure about the 3D one though, never played much of that.

The oddworld series. Well, at least the demo of Abe's odyssey was amusing. Never played past the first two levels of the first game (It was a friends, you see..).

Conker, obviously. That's been mentioned a few times. The film spoofs are excellent, and the scouse dung beetles has me in stitches (split my sides laughing, you see).

Are there any funny games that aren't adventure games though?

In an adventure game, you mostly see everything once, and that's about it. All the jokes are funny fist time through, and you tend not to play it much once it's done. In a non-adventure game, the jokes are likely to get repetitive and juts plain annoying - whihc is probably why you don't see them too often.

Duke Nukem is the only one that springs to mind, though that wasn't quite to everyone's taste.

The thing about jokes is, they're premeditated. A particular thing has to happen. The ideal game, giving you a free choice of movement, and control over your own fate, therefore makes good jokes very hard to implement. There's very little that can really be done besides the occasional visual gag.

Yes, that ought to stop my word average dropping too much...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.