GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Humour in games."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/06/01 at 18:23
Regular
What about it?

Well, there aren't enough funny games. The Monkey Islands were great... as were most of the Lucasarts adventures, Day of the Tentacle and Sam and Max especially... but humour seems to be lacking in most games these days.

I'm not talking about little things, like Solid Snake shuffling in a locker, but more of the type of game that's funny all the way through.

Many have tried and failed badly, the Larry series is a good example of games that are supposed to be very funny, but fall flat on their face.

And, as it seems the main source of humour in games, Lucasarts, aren't making adventures anymore, what can we look forward to?

The only funny game that's been around recently is Conker's Bad Fur Day. I love anything that takes the mick out of famous films...

So... instead of discussing about humour in games, try and think of some of the funniest games you've played. Saying "Microsoft Train Simulator is quite a funny game" or something of simular context will not be accepted. It's too obvious, and just isn't funny.

Actually, discuss what the hell you want. It's not as if we're going to stick to the subject anyway. :0)
Tue 05/06/01 at 16:05
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
Yep you have sussed me Grix..........you are right I have not played Conker yet. I really want a copy of the game though but if I buy it I wont be able to afford my GBA. £60 for a game .... a bit steep if you ask me.
Tue 05/06/01 at 16:03
Regular
Hmmm...

Have you actually PLAYED Conker MJswerve?
Tue 05/06/01 at 15:57
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
Conkers Bad Fur day is the most class game around. You control Conkers (amazingly! LOL) and you begin the game by giving your girlfriend a call. He says he is off to fight some war. This ends up as a reanactment of the opening scene from Saving Private Ryan with you in the starring role. What follows is gaming at its greatest full of Film spoofs including The Matrix, Dracula, Aliens and The Terminator. Oh and by the way No mercy is pretty damn funny isnt it.
Tue 05/06/01 at 15:47
Regular
I found WWF No Mercy hillarious.

Ok, so it wasn't because of cracks or jokes and it probably wasn't intended to be funny but I think that it's how humour should be in games.

People falling off ladders like that and some of the weapons available was hillarious. You could have wrestlers diving off the turnbuckle into no where or jumping off a ladder, missing their target and landing crash bang through a table.

You could enfuriate friends in all sorts of ways and the way they checked to see if they were bleeding was funny too.

Yes, I know that all this would be sick in real life but it is only a game remember.
Tue 05/06/01 at 15:28
Regular
Grandprix wrote:
"I think we gotten a bit too philosophical"

Err... not quite.

We need a bit of philosophy in these forums though. It's nice to see someone with a decent opinion.
Tue 05/06/01 at 14:43
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Could someone tell me what Conkers Bad Fur Day is all about?
Tue 05/06/01 at 13:14
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> fitz wrote:
"Conkers Bad Fur Day".

It's not the poo
> jokes that make me laugh. It's the rip offs of films that make me
> laugh.

The poo, s.e.x and toilet jokes had me in pieces! lol...
Tue 05/06/01 at 13:13
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
A strange game....
Mon 04/06/01 at 22:40
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
This game your describing doesn't sound like a game, it sounds quite strange.
Mon 04/06/01 at 22:33
The pooh jokes are quite warped though, cows, cranberry juice, squish!
For me though its the fact that every object you need to collect has eyes a vocal mouth and runs away rom you (A feature that would make a brilliant cheat mode in a ResidentEvil game).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.