GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Big IE/FF Discrepancy List (tm Monkey_man forever)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 03/08/05 at 20:23
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Ok peeps, thought this would be a bit of "fun". Some of us are happy to accept that Internet Explorer exists, and that a majority of casual internet users have it. And there are some of us that refuse to use it, banishing it to the recycle bin of our minds. So basically just list known differences between the two, pros/cons, etc. I think it'll be helpful, for some reason that I haven't decided yet.

FF doesn't highlight
's, whereas IE does.
IF doesn't center objects correctly - there's always 1px difference if you center a background and a table.

Your turn (don't be too harsh on li'l old IE, MS are still learning...)
Thu 04/08/05 at 17:30
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
IE7 Beta?
Thu 04/08/05 at 17:27
Regular
"NULL"
Garin wrote:
> Erm..if you have more than 1 IE process then you're starting more
> than 1 instance of internet explorer to view different pages, which
> isnt really a fair comparison as you can view multiple pages under 1
> instance of the browser exactly as firefox does. I have the 4 sites
> open under 1 instance of IE and its using approximately 50 meg.

How have you got 4 sites open under 1 instance of IE?
Thu 04/08/05 at 16:48
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Bonus wrote:
> If you have it installed, open up 4 browser windows and open:
>
> ukchatforums.com
> www.bbc.co.uk
> www.ign.com
> www.gamespot.com
>
> at the same time and look ay how much memory each page uses, 20-25Mb
> for ukchatforums and bbc and 40+ for IGN and gamespot each!!!!!
>
> Now do the same in Firefox and note that there is only one Firefox
> process and it uses around 50Mb for all 4 pages at once!!!!!.

Erm..if you have more than 1 IE process then you're starting more than 1 instance of internet explorer to view different pages, which isnt really a fair comparison as you can view multiple pages under 1 instance of the browser exactly as firefox does. I have the 4 sites open under 1 instance of IE and its using approximately 50 meg.

All you're highlighting is a difference in the default behaviour of the browsers. IE lets you create as many instances as you like, try to run Firefox a second time and it'll just spawn a new window under the existing process.
Thu 04/08/05 at 13:31
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Oh, and forms. The sizes, rows and cols come up different in both browsers, making it impossible to make nice looking forms for both! Annoyance!
Thu 04/08/05 at 13:07
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
It really bugs me that you don't get a scrollbar by default in FF - my designs seem to skip all over the place when I'm testing. The height:101% mucks with the border setting, so that's no good.
Thu 04/08/05 at 11:20
"Are you sure?"
monkey_man wrote:
> It's as low as that for IE now? Last time I read a survey on it, it
> was claimed around 85%, but predicted to drop gradually.

The number of people that have downloaded FF is high but the percentage of people that use it as their preferred browser is not so high.

The 60+ domains that I manage all have 80%+ IE visitors.

The exception to that is visitors to my 'play' site that I use for this account and only gets visitors from this forum: [URL]http://www.hmmm.ip3.co.uk/[/URL]

This gets 62.11% FF; 32.03% IE; 4.3% Other; AOL 0.78%; Opera 0.78%

So to me it looks like 'young' PC-aware people are more likely to use FF, but the majority of 'normal' surfers (80%+) still use IE.

One thing I don't like about FF, if everytime an update comes out you seem to download the whole application and it sticks it's shortcuts all over the shop again - unless that's just the way I'm doing it !?
Thu 04/08/05 at 10:38
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Bonus wrote:
> That doesn't explain a 70Mb memory hole between the 50ish of Firefox
> and the 120ish of IE, though.

What I'm saying is that unless you had the same banners, then you can't compare the memmory usage. I had a banner on there the other day that slowly filled up my resources until my CPU whirled like a Blackhawk, and I had to leave the article before it died!
Thu 04/08/05 at 10:28
Regular
The one thing I hated about IE is the whole "hold your hand!" type thing.

I.e. clicking to download something: -

"Would you like to download this file?"
- "Yes"
"Where to?"
- "Here"
"Microsoft warns you that some files are dangerous, we can't stop them because there are so many flaws in our operating system. Would you like to continue?"
- "Yes"
"Downloading...."
"Would you like to run this application?"
- "Yes"
"Internet explorer has received an error, would you like to send this report to Microsoft?"
- "No"
"Explorer.exe has caused an error, would you like to send this report to Microsoft?"
- "No"

etc.

It just gets annoying. That's why I prefer Firefox, it's a web browser, not a parent to spoon feed you.
Thu 04/08/05 at 10:21
"High polygon count"
May get laughed at here, but I'll say it anyway...

Has anyone tried the latest Netscape?

It contains both the IE and the FF rendering engines, so you can use IE for highest compatibility on 'trusted' sites, or FF for sites you don't trust.

I found it quite funky, but the only downside is that the Personal Toolbars ('MultiBar') are currently tailored to US users with regard to weather, news etc... but you can get rid of it anyway.
Thu 04/08/05 at 10:17
Regular
That doesn't explain a 70Mb memory hole between the 50ish of Firefox and the 120ish of IE, though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.