GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Going Retro"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 03/08/05 at 13:54
Regular
"~DPG~"
I have had enough of the current consoles and really, think the main 3 have had their time now. I was willing to pay around £30 for games in the beginning, but now i don't feel i need to. many games don't interest me or are basically tosh. I am going to trade my PS2 + about 23 games and just buy a MegaDrive, Mega CD, Snes and many, many games.

I'm not hanging up my control for good, just going retro. I remember as a youth i could never get bored of tirelessly playing Sonic and Mario games and feel sad tht i've been without the golden old games we all were brought up with.

I'll have a hard time searching for games but when i have them, ill be able to respect them for what they are. Games. We don't play games for fun now and the prices and gameplay haven't always been top notch recently. Also, i don't think ill be missing out on any of the new PS2 games, as the next gen of consoles will be out and i have decided not to get any of them.

My Reason? Price,Time i have to use them, getting a job soon, so i wont be able to spend so many hours on games. I have enjoyed them and have no intentions of giving up, but just going to play some fun classics while they are still just about still around.

Thanks for reading, have a good day.
Wed 03/08/05 at 21:02
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I'd happily go back to my old consoles if there was a way for me to et some of my old favourite games back. I still have a NES and God knows how many games, also an N64 with about 20-30 games, and a Megadrive, where I used to have quite a lot of games but now only have a select few, and they are the boring ones except for one very special one which was my favourite.

Even though i don't know this guy and tilta gives the idea that he's unpopular, I agree with him. Retro is the best way to go - back in the day when games were game and not reality simulators. back in the day when good games mattered and not crap games with gob-smacking graphics.

And Afro hit the nail on the head with that comemnt about N64 simply kicking ass compared to modern gaming systems.
Wed 03/08/05 at 21:33
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
[URL]http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/318/smvn640uk.png[/URL]
Thu 04/08/05 at 01:16
Regular
The-IronFlame wrote:
> Minish cap? Link to the past? They're
> still enjoyable today maybe even more than most games nowadays.

Since when has Minish Cap been a retro game?
Thu 04/08/05 at 01:59
"High polygon count"
I agree with Tiltawhirl.

I have lots of fond memories of the games I used to play, but whenever I play them, the illusion is shattered.

Though they were great in their day, they only stay that way in memory. When it comes to playing them these days, it rapidly becomes apparent that they were... well... naff.
Thu 04/08/05 at 02:04
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> The-IronFlame wrote:
> Minish cap? Link to the past? They're
> still enjoyable today maybe even more than most games nowadays.
>
> Since when has Minish Cap been a retro game?

Er you said 2D games I thought you meant them in general. Maybe you should of "these old games" rather than "these 2D games"
Thu 04/08/05 at 10:47
Regular
There are the odd few games which have aged particularly well.

Mario 3 and Super Mario World are examples.
Link To The Past and Chrono Trigger too.

Those 4 games are still better today than most new games.
Thu 04/08/05 at 13:50
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Old games suck.
And being retro is funny as hell when you're 13 and don't remember a time before emails, the internet and PCs.
Thu 04/08/05 at 13:57
Regular
When I think of retro, I think of Granny's Garden on the BBC, Finders Keepers on the Speccy, and Radar Mission on the original Game Boy.

All this, Super Mario World, Sonic The Hedgehog business is still fairly recent in gaming (especially due to the re-re-re-re-re-releases).

Hell, I remember a time when sprites couldn't overlap!
Thu 04/08/05 at 14:00
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yep.
Pedro The Gardender on BBC Model B with 32k. Or Hunchback on same. Horace goes skiing on the squishy rubber key Spectrum, but I was the envy of my neighborhood because I had the Spectrum 128+2 with built in casetteplayer.
Combat School took 9 mins to load.
THAT is retro
Thu 04/08/05 at 14:03
Regular
Retro to me means playing Stunt Car Racer on my Amiga.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.