GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Laptop buying advice"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/07/05 at 23:44
"Uzi Lover"
I'm after a laptop and money isn't a problem, I want performance. A real desktop replacement.

I've been looking around at some laptops and have narrowed it down to these two - a Dell XPS Gen 2 and a Mesh Ultima Pro.

Have been reading and have read that there won't be much power in the Mesh Ultima due to it using more desktop type parts and the battery will be drained with all the fans going etc. While the XPS 2 is supposed to be made of mobile components.

One thing about the processor...the XPS 2 has a centrino 2ghz while the Ultima has a 3.4ghz Pentium 4. Now looking at that in writing makes me see the Ultima as having the MAJOR lead in processing power, is this correct or am I missing something here?

How easy is it to upgrade laptops these days? It's been the reason I've always steered clear. If I want to update my PC to be future proof, I want to be able to put stuff in. Say i wanted a new processor or something, could I shove that in the laptop with relative ease?

On the subject of upgrading...the laptops I'm looking at come with PCI express graphics cards. I know a great feature of PCI express is the combination of two video cards at the same time, is this possible in laptops, or the two I meantioned?

If anyone knows anything about laptops or about the models I listed I'd be grateful for your advice, thanks in advance :-)
Tue 02/08/05 at 09:22
Regular
As well as looking like a complete twunt whilst using one.
Mon 01/08/05 at 19:26
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I wouldn't. They're best Laptop isn't that great, and is hideously overpriced. You're paying for the case and the brandname.
Mon 01/08/05 at 18:37
Regular
"Xbox 360 Rules"
Chad Niga i might get one if i have enough money
Sun 31/07/05 at 19:59
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
Alien ware are super expensive, but they are pretty cool.
Sun 31/07/05 at 17:27
Regular
"Xbox 360 Rules"
I found a laptops made by alienware.
www.alienware.co.uk
Sat 30/07/05 at 18:32
Hmmm, yes. Desktop replacement. I see that.

By the way, is it wise selecting someone with zero feedback with such an expensive item?
Thu 28/07/05 at 23:32
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Monkey_With_Attitude wrote:
> Thanks for the info.
>
> Eeeeekk I just won this:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
> ViewItem&category=3713&item=6786450738&rd=1
>
> Hope I made the right decision there. I need to sell this thing now
> or something :-S

Even better, when you are out and about it could probably double as a portable cooker.
Thu 28/07/05 at 21:03
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I would say that it'll probably satisfy your needs, although the graphics card isn't that great. Personally I would have gone for an Acer but I'm sure it'll be almost as good ;}
Wed 27/07/05 at 23:36
"Uzi Lover"
Thanks for the info.

Eeeeekk I just won this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ViewItem&category=3713&item=6786450738&rd=1

Hope I made the right decision there. I need to sell this thing now or something :-S
Wed 27/07/05 at 18:22
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Seriously, a PSP? What on earth are you on?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.