GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"12 String Guitars"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/07/05 at 21:59
Regular
"You've upset me"
Right, this is something that's bothered me for a while. I know little about 12 strings other than that they have 12 strings and how to differentiate between the sound of 6 & 12 string guitars but ... How the hell do you play one of these?

Are all the strings on the same neck? What's the standard tuning for them, are the strings double tuned? Do you play it like a normal 6 string but only strumming the bottom/top 6 strings? How do you play barre chords? What's the standard range of the notes?

Ack.
Thu 28/07/05 at 14:43
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Very_Metal wrote:
> a 12 string bass?!?!?!?!
> HAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
> i knew you guys had "extra 2 string" envy, but that's a
> ridiculous way of trying to even it all out ;)

John Paul Jones now plays one, and by the way I'm far too intelligent to be a bassist :p
Thu 28/07/05 at 12:40
Regular
I can't even play 6-string, but I want an 18-string.

Mind you, who doesn't?
Thu 28/07/05 at 11:27
Regular
"you've got a beard"
never heard of Big Star, but i'm intrigued now :)

not sure what the range is, i've only ever used them to provide harmonious backing.
Wed 27/07/05 at 23:43
Regular
"You've upset me"
Very_Metal wrote:
> a little, not so you'd really notice though.
> the string pairs are very close together so you don't have to modify
> your playing style, you just kinda hit the 2nd string without
> noticing

Ah. So what's the actual range of it then? From what I understand the biggest range on the open strings is 3 octaves?

whch is what makes them a "99% for rhythm parts"
> instrument, as i said, they're not really for lead work.

Heh, tell that to Big Star. Those guys were/are genii.
Wed 27/07/05 at 23:23
Regular
"you've got a beard"
a little, not so you'd really notice though.
the string pairs are very close together so you don't have to modify your playing style, you just kinda hit the 2nd string without noticing, whch is what makes them a "99% for rhythm parts" instrument, as i said, they're not really for lead work.
Wed 27/07/05 at 23:13
Regular
"You've upset me"
Cheers for the replies. I thought there was probably string pairing going on. Can't quite visualize how you'd play it though. Is the neck much thicker?
Wed 27/07/05 at 12:59
Regular
"you've got a beard"
a 12 string bass?!?!?!?!
HAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
i knew you guys had "extra 2 string" envy, but that's a ridiculous way of trying to even it all out ;)
Wed 27/07/05 at 09:59
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
I once played a twelve-string bass in a London music shop, very confusing. Would help if i could actually play bass aswell i suppose....
Wed 27/07/05 at 09:50
Regular
"you've got a beard"
they're not too much of a problem to play, but don't try anything involving string bends or you'll end up with all kinds of horribly muted nonsense :)
Wed 27/07/05 at 01:01
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Yep, it's pairs of strings, same principle as a mandolin.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.