GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Was I a 9-year old gaming master?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Mario 64 DS'.
Tue 26/07/05 at 09:24
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
As I'm short one DS at the moment, I've taken to borrowing my brother's and playing Mario 64 for hours on end. I remember playing this 7 years ago, when I was 9. Good times. Most of it's easier than it used to be, and I've been getting the 100 coin stars much earlier than I used to. The new stars were easy to collect, and the only difficulty near the beginning is unlocking the new characters. Not the boss fights, they suck (except Wario's), but the new hardcore platforming levels.

When I got to Hazy Maze Cave, the stars were easily obtained, but I got stuck on the coin collecting. It took a few days to conquer, but when I discovered the blue coins (5 coin value) in the poisonous maze, the rest were easy. By this point, I'd conquered the wall jump, something which I found really hard in the original.

Lethal Lava Land was easy, as in the original, while Shifting Sand Land posed a few problems. But it was all in good fun, and I conquered the quicksand sooner or later. Soon, I made it to the upper levels. Wet-Dry world was easy. Seriously, were there this many coins in the original? However, that's where I met a problem. Tall, Tall Mountain. Are there even 100 coins in this? Sheesh... There's not even any blue coins or anything, and I can't use that slide thing because you get stuck at the end in a small room with the star.

Anyway, I decided to put it aside for now, and set off to the later levels. Tiny-Huge Island? Easy. Tick Tock Clock? (Insert easy clock joke here). But Rainbow Ride brought back painful memories. I remember the shortcut at the start, but seriously... HOW THE HELL DID I DO THIS WHEN I WAS 9?!?!? It's not the new star that causes problems, but those magic carpet rides. This is why I love videogames. But seriously, I'm wondering how a 9 year old could negotiate those magic carpets, swinging platforms and the dreaded donut blocks.

I remember a long night, spent trying to get the 100 coins on this level. Then, the absolute greatness I felt when I fired myself onto the roof, and met Yoshi. At the age of 9, that was a feat I hadn't thought would have been possible. Now, I've completed all the worlds (including coin stars) except for the coin star on Tall, Tall Mountain, two mission stars on Rainbow Ride and the coin star on said hell. Then there's the red coins and secret stars in the character saving levels, that switch star in Bowser in the Fire Sea....

I love this game. Plus, I'm sure many of you do as well. Remember any childhood videogaming nightmares, which you wouldn't have thought were possible, when you look back?
Mon 15/08/05 at 10:54
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
Grr... Control...

Your bro is either a super-genius, a gaming overlord or you got drunk and thought you were him.
Sun 14/08/05 at 17:10
Regular
"spongemycarpetydont"
My little bro could complete Goldeneye, apart from Control (obviously), when he was five. Along with Banjo Kazooie and Mario 64. Hes now 7, and hes onto the Super Monkey Balls, and Viewtiful Joe.
Sat 13/08/05 at 22:11
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
Here's hoping Mario Kart DS will have some N64 tracks in it.

After seeing a shot which looks like Moo Moo Farm, it seems likely.
Thu 11/08/05 at 10:58
Regular
well u have the DS now, u can play multiplayer over the internet soon.
Its just like the N64, except sharper with better draw distance and effects.
Wed 10/08/05 at 13:53
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Why does technology have to advance? The time of the N64 was the best time of my life, featuring the best games console and best games.

And back before the great migration. Most of my mates who used to like the N64 but don't like the GC have now moved away for some reason. Not very far, but a bit too far for every-day tournaments on PD and Mario Kart.
Wed 10/08/05 at 13:04
Regular
"I got a great Idea"
i dont even get how that whistle works, it just seems pointless. the parrot on the otherhand is absolute brilliance, love it!
Wed 10/08/05 at 11:52
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
Replaying all the classic NES games should bring back a lot of memories.

NES games were hard...

Just completed Wario Ware: Touched on my broīs DS, and that means all the album, not just the characters. Once thatīs done, you get the worst reward for game completion ever.

A whistle.
Tue 09/08/05 at 19:53
Regular
"Swish"
I kinda miss the NES Mario games and Duck Hunt was a pretty good addition. I look forward to the revolution.
Tue 09/08/05 at 19:50
Regular
"Swish"
Rai, I believe u were a gaming master and u're proably still a gaming master.
Wed 27/07/05 at 18:07
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
Just got back from my mate's house, after spending all night playing Mario Kart: Double Dash, during which time we managed to complete All-Cup mode on Mirror. This means we've completed the game.

Games are especially fun at two in the morning... although the computer players are the cheating gits they were seven years ago.

Maybe games are getting easier, or we're just getting better. Then again, that contradicts what I was saying about Rainbow Ride. I remember playing Earthworm Jim on the SNES- that was one heck of a difficult game, with a disappointing final boss.

As for the coin thing on Tall, Tall Mountain, there's more than enough coins on the slide, but if you get the 100th coin, the star appears above you, by which point you're speeding down the slide at god knows what speed. Plus, when you reach the bottom, you have no choice but to get the star.

Of course, if they'd given Mario the FLUDD in Mario 64, the game would have been a hell of a lot easier, which was the reason Sunshine was so easy...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.