GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Advice (freelancing...)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 25/07/05 at 19:45
Regular
As some of you will know, a few months ago I set up a website ([URL]http://www.djh-solutions.co.uk[/URL]) offering my services as a freelance web designer.

You know how many clients I've had since I set up?

None.

I've had "interest" and a few email conversations with prospective projects, but most of them seem to stop emailing randomly, or only express minimal interest in having a website.

Yes, I realise they don't come to me just like that, the problem I have is finding them and getting my portfolio and skills across to them. When it comes to business, frankly, I just don't know where to start.

People like Nimco/Tyla/Turbonutter/Monkey_man seem to have projects and work to do for people.

Granted, I have been lax on the promotional side over the past few weeks, due te exam/college commitments.

All I'm wondering is how the hell do you do it?

Anyone care to offer advice to a fellow freelancer? Do you all go somewhere to get work or do they just come to you?

Cheers
Mon 25/07/05 at 22:05
Regular
gamesfreak wrote:
the problem I
> have is finding them and getting my portfolio and skills across to
> them.

Portfolio? Where's that then?
Mon 25/07/05 at 21:55
Regular
"bot"
"During Work Experience at a Software development house called Redcastle CRM, myself and a colleague was asked to completely redesign the company website"

: /
Might want to sort out your grammar...
Mon 25/07/05 at 21:29
Regular
"NULL"
I've always just taken to walking around town with a portfolio of my previous websites and asking people if they want a website.

If you're at Uni, check to see if they have a Careers Services or similar - our one has been very useful to me in pointing prospective clients my way.

Most importantly, once you get a client, give them fantastic customer service - word of mouth is still the best form of advertising in this industry.
Mon 25/07/05 at 20:16
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I actually work for a company, and the bloke who runs it has lots of business contacts in the local area, so I've been lucky really. It's a bit of a gamble - could be good for a few months, lousy for another few.
Mon 25/07/05 at 19:45
Regular
As some of you will know, a few months ago I set up a website ([URL]http://www.djh-solutions.co.uk[/URL]) offering my services as a freelance web designer.

You know how many clients I've had since I set up?

None.

I've had "interest" and a few email conversations with prospective projects, but most of them seem to stop emailing randomly, or only express minimal interest in having a website.

Yes, I realise they don't come to me just like that, the problem I have is finding them and getting my portfolio and skills across to them. When it comes to business, frankly, I just don't know where to start.

People like Nimco/Tyla/Turbonutter/Monkey_man seem to have projects and work to do for people.

Granted, I have been lax on the promotional side over the past few weeks, due te exam/college commitments.

All I'm wondering is how the hell do you do it?

Anyone care to offer advice to a fellow freelancer? Do you all go somewhere to get work or do they just come to you?

Cheers

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.