GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hype! Good or Bad?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 03/06/01 at 17:58
Regular
I expect everybody in the gaming industry knows all about hype as do most of us gamers. But is hype over games good or bad? Well it depends on the way that you look at it.

Is hype a bad thing? well, is can be. It can get gamers hyped up over a game that turns out to be utter tosh. A classic example could be Mission Impossible on the N64. Ok, so it wasn't really bad, but it was made out to be a Goldeneye beater, but when it finally came out, it didn't live up to the hype, and failed in comparison to Goldeneye.
Hype can also damage a games reputation. I mean, the game could be good, but not great, but the hype made it out to be great. This would make a game that would have been good seem pretty bad because of all of the hype.

Is hype a good thing? Hype can be good, in the same way that it can be bad. Hype can make gamers eager to buy a game and then as soon as it's out, gamers snap it up as soon as possible. Of course, this is a very good advantage of hype for games developers and publishers, as their games get sold and they make the money. For us gamers, it is only an advantage if the games lives up to the hype and turns out to be brilliant. Of course, the games don't always live up to the hype.

Who are the main culprits for hype: Magazines for one. Don't get me wrong, I like the current magazines, but they bring about unnecessary hype over games that could turn out to be crap.
It's not just magazines, internet sites do it aswell.
And what makes it worse, is that in most cases, we have bought the games before we read the review, and then realise that games didn't turn out to be what it was supposed to be.

I now tread carefully, and make sure I know more about the game before I but it, and the read the reviews. And the fact that, there are demos out there for you to play and look at helps to make sure you know what you are getting yourself into before you buy a game.
But the hype is still there.
So, what does everybody else think?
Sun 03/06/01 at 22:37
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
It's ace, it is hilarious when all the little alien dudes bust up their flying thingy and scream... Ha ha ha ha...

...Oooallllllllllghhhh!

Heh heh heh heh... That Mars Guo makes-a me laugh!
Sun 03/06/01 at 22:34
Regular
"You've upset me"
Hype sold me Star Wars Pod Racer. Pity I listened to it really, it's rubbish.
Sun 03/06/01 at 22:33
Regular
"not dead"
Hype. It sells things.

It sells bad things, it sells good things.

Hype will make some people buy things without really thinking about it. In this way it is bad.

It will draw attention to something that just might deserve it. In this way, it is good.

I wouldn't say ignore the hype, but listen to it. Don't get carried away though, do some research and try to find whats true, and what's not.
Sun 03/06/01 at 22:06
Regular
I think that we've all read the topic and have answered it but ignored all the other replies. :-D

Just typical...
Sun 03/06/01 at 21:14
Funny, didn't I post something here? Ah well, never mind. I guess it doesn't matter. I must have clicked the wrong button or something.
Sun 03/06/01 at 20:52
Regular
"You've upset me"
Lol
Sun 03/06/01 at 20:35
sorry that post was from ages ago and i was comparing to FM i just wanted to get my word count up. (:0
Sun 03/06/01 at 20:34
As you pointed out there are different aspects of hype…
The catches of hype.
The hype in the gaming world is starting to get out of hand, with companies broadcasting adverts on television and in magazines websites etc. They give a massive build up top the game or console and then might delay it a month for suspense and by then you are dying to get it and when you do it is average and is not always the most played game in the collection you have. If something is hyped up and everyone is set to buy a copy, even 2 maybe and after you receive the product and realize it was a mistake and you should have actually read a review or played a demo you have to tell your parents who have just spent £50 on a game it is really good and smile secretly thinking help me.
The situation has not aroused for me but some games are absolute crap but still hyped up and it is a con. The gaming world should be about getting quality games for a small price and playing for months. Look at the psx it has so may awful low budget games and after a promise from Sony there would be no more for the ps2 but just look at WDL thunder tanks, not really up to standards of the decent ps2 it looks rather shabby to say the least. The hype must cost companies a heck of a lot of money like £50,000 for 30 seconds and how many times have I seen the pkmn gold and silver advert on sky one?
Benefits
The benefits from this is that u get sales guaranteed and the adverts do make a lot of difference and have some ace pics of the game on not just vid clips which sometimes I get sick of as I want to see the graphics used to play with and not the FMV sequences.
The companies have to make sure that thee game they choose to release is quality like the build up to mgs2 will be massive and rightfully so and I don’t think (unless there is a bug in it) there will be no false advertising or to hyped because the game is gonna be sweet and it is a fact. So is hype a good thing I think overall no as gaming used to be just pure simple gaming and as it evolves along comes a big down side known as the hype and price of today’s gaming world.

As FM said the dc had no hype what so ever and deserved more most people thought the Saturn is crud so is the dc and that was that, but now wot do they think as the dc games are coming to the ps2. Haah. But the dc is the best wooo!!

Time_warp
Sun 03/06/01 at 20:24
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Hype, as we all know, can be good… as well as bad.

Often, and I am not sure if you will agree with me on this or not, hype is not always to do with the people responsible of making the product, but by the people who are actually going to buy it. All it takes is a games company to show of some of the game’s graphics and then people go a little “over the top” with it. They will tell their friends that it looks really good and the graphics are the best they have ever seen, then the friend will tell their friends and so it causes “hype”.

It is a little like Chinese whispers (the game where you purposely whisper something different to your friend to ruin the game). You get a company showing us some graphics, the person who has seen the graphics tells their mates, adding a few things to make it sound better, then their friends will do the same thing, and adding more “cool” stuff to it.

And there created the dreaded hype disappointment. People hype it up so much that they disappoint themselves when the game actually comes out, because they believe the game to be something that it is not.

Obviously, hype creates an atmosphere. It will attract people and therefor it will be the “talk of the streets” and maybe that is what the people who make the product want, just to get the product a little popular.

M16.
Sun 03/06/01 at 20:18
Regular
I think hype is very important for game developers. I mean if you were to just go out and by a game that you think looks good you probaly would'ent pick one about a fat Italian plumber or a little kid with a green Smurf hat.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.