GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dead Memory Card..."

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 24/07/05 at 10:39
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Okay, so for a while now one of my memory cards kept on saying certain game files were corrupt, but usually I'd pull it out, do the whole blow in the card and in the card slot on my Cube and it'd be fine.

However, I'm now getting a message every time that the entire card is corrupt and needs to be formatted... Which is going to erase all data.

I don't expecially want to do this as I have a recently completed Resi 4 game on it with The Mercenaries mini game complete (ie. 5 stars on every level with every character, which took damn ages...), as well as much other stuff like my Smash Bros savegame, Viewtiful Joe saves on the last level, a Rogue Leader game with gold medals on every level, Mario Sunshine, Zelda, Paper Mario... You get the picture...

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I might get the data without formatting or if I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and delete everything.

Either way I'm gonna be buying a new big memory card from SR... The trouble seems to have started as the card got more full... Bah. Damn memory cards. Bring back good ol' cartridges...
Mon 01/08/05 at 17:17
Regular
"8==="
I found BK today, it was going for 37.99.

Needless to say I didn't buy it.
Mon 01/08/05 at 16:51
Regular
"What's basketball?"
That happens with one of my memory cards quite a lot. If blowing in it doesn't work then I just replace the memory card with one of my other ones and turn the Gamecube on. Then I turn it off and swap it back. If that doesn't work then I just reformat it anyway(although, it usually works) as I only have SSBM, Pikmin, Mario Party 4, Jeremy Mcgraph and 18 wheeler on that card. All of which are pretty easy, though, and I don't play JM or 18 wheeler at all anyway :P.
Tue 26/07/05 at 13:05
Regular
"8==="
Yep. There were obviously loads about the first month of release.

I'll get it for christmas or something.
Mon 25/07/05 at 23:14
Regular
"Divine Davine"
Hedfix wrote:
> I just bought myself a logic 4mb one for 2.99 which is just enough for
> Paper Mario, Tales and Zelda. :)
>
> I also had a look for Resi 4 and Baten but as usual they weren't
> there despite it being Edinburgh. :(

Baten Kaitos is SO hard to find. I just managed to scrape it out of the second hand section - £25? Not bad at all - it's sooo amazing!

And don't you just love it when you sit down, you think you have played an RPG for about an hour, and really about 4 hours have just flown by! Love it! A sign of a very good RPG there.
Mon 25/07/05 at 22:51
Regular
I've always bought official cards ever since my old unofficial PS1 card ballsed up. Never had a problem with official ones on all consoles since.
Mon 25/07/05 at 00:18
Regular
i look forward to the hardrive-less Revolution then.
Mon 25/07/05 at 00:14
Regular
"8==="
Hardrives are good. :P

Especially as games can copy parts of themselves to it and save on loading times.

Also putting in a faster CD Drive does wonders too.
Mon 25/07/05 at 00:11
Regular
oh how i miss the days of battery backup
Sun 24/07/05 at 21:25
Regular
"8==="
I just bought myself a logic 4mb one for 2.99 which is just enough for Paper Mario, Tales and Zelda. :)

I also had a look for Resi 4 and Baten but as usual they weren't there despite it being Edinburgh. :(
Sun 24/07/05 at 21:14
Regular
"The definitive tag"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> When it comes to memory cards ... always buy official.

Official memory cards can fail as well. A file got corrupted on my PS2 card, luckily I only had to dump the data for that game rather than the entire memory card, but it's still worrying that even the cards that are supposed to be the best can be corrupted.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.