GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Digital Camcorders"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 22/07/05 at 15:40
Regular
"She's a dog!"
I'm interested in buying a Digital Camcorder but hardly know anything about it. I'm interested in possibly making some home videos and transferring them to my Hard Drive. How much space is this going to take up? What format will this be in? What sort of price for a good digital camcorder? How long can you film for on a digital camcorder? Can you buy a digital camcorder that films directly to AVI and is easily transferrable to PC using USB and can also store a few hours on its built in hard drive?

Just post anything you think might be helpful to me in buying a Digital Camcorder.
Sat 23/07/05 at 13:57
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Just buy the damn thing and help save SR!
Sat 23/07/05 at 13:36
Regular
"She's a dog!"
Thanks for your help.
Fri 22/07/05 at 17:24
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Peter Venkman wrote:
> Are your video samples on the highest quality available because they
> are good quality for the very low price.

They were compressed using Windows Video Maker from the 640x480 WMVs the camera records. Depends on the purpose the video is for - mine was for streaming on the net, so I made it quite low quality. A bigger file would have been nearer the original quality.

128Mb does about 13 minutes, so 1Gb should do over an hour. Then you can just replace the card and carry on filming, or transfer it all to PC.
Fri 22/07/05 at 16:29
Regular
"Woke up this mornin"
Well... I didn't like to say... not good customer service!
Fri 22/07/05 at 16:27
Regular
"She's a dog!"
I realised I was being an idiot as soon as I posted that by actually reading the link monkey_man posted.
Fri 22/07/05 at 16:20
Regular
"Woke up this mornin"
Peter Venkman wrote:
> Can you buy bigger memory sticks so you can store a little longer than
> 13 minutes. I want a Camcorder that can do a few hours.

You can expand the memory of the Mustek with SD or MMC cards.
[URL]http://specialreserve.co.uk/memory-cards/[/URL]
Fri 22/07/05 at 16:16
Regular
"She's a dog!"
Thanks for that monkey_man...very helpful. I will seriously consider buying one of these after my holiday.

I'm now reading my way through the reviews.
Fri 22/07/05 at 16:06
Regular
"She's a dog!"
Are your video samples on the highest quality available because they are good quality for the very low price.
Fri 22/07/05 at 16:02
Regular
"She's a dog!"
I'm an idiot.
Fri 22/07/05 at 15:55
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
How much you planning to spend? I've got the DV5000, you can get it from here for under £100. It films in 640x480, with sound, straight to WMV and takes about 13 minutes of footage + sound from my 128 SD card and has 32Mb onboard. USB port, it works as a portable drive, so you can just drop and drag the files off/on it. Records mp3s, works as an mp3 player if you put music files on it. Takes good quality, high res images 2048xsomething. Pretty amazing bit of kit considering the price.

£74.99: [URL]http://specialreserve.co.uk/Mustek-DV5000-41-Meg_6023_r.html[/URL]

The only thing I would say is that you need very good light to take pictures and video, and it only works really well outside.

Some video samples (edited in Windows Media Editor, but still indicative)
[URL]http://www.threecircles.co.uk/media/video/ralph.wmv[/URL]
[URL]http://www.threecircles.co.uk/media/video/ralphinbox.wmv[/URL]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.