GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Tonight"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 21/07/05 at 13:12
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
BBC2 9pm "Extras", the new comedy from Gervais & Merchant.
I'll be watching without question, Ben Stiller is the guest tonight.

But I promise you, without doubt, it's going to get slammed both here and in reviews because of The Office.
I love The Office and I'll happily say so, but I've spoken to a couple of people and there's already a backlash towards it and, without having seen an episode, of Extras.
People seem to resent somebody being succesfull, plus they think it gives them some kind of non-existent "net cool" to be one of those "Yeah, I prefered their early stuff" kind of people.
I asked them how they can rubbish Extras before they've even seen a single episode?
"Oh I've seen Gervais interviewed and he's turned into such an ego monster, he thinks he's really funny and he's not"

Fair enough, each to their own but I'll be watching tonight.
It might be good, it might be bad. It won't be The Office and that's enough for me.
Thu 21/07/05 at 13:12
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
BBC2 9pm "Extras", the new comedy from Gervais & Merchant.
I'll be watching without question, Ben Stiller is the guest tonight.

But I promise you, without doubt, it's going to get slammed both here and in reviews because of The Office.
I love The Office and I'll happily say so, but I've spoken to a couple of people and there's already a backlash towards it and, without having seen an episode, of Extras.
People seem to resent somebody being succesfull, plus they think it gives them some kind of non-existent "net cool" to be one of those "Yeah, I prefered their early stuff" kind of people.
I asked them how they can rubbish Extras before they've even seen a single episode?
"Oh I've seen Gervais interviewed and he's turned into such an ego monster, he thinks he's really funny and he's not"

Fair enough, each to their own but I'll be watching tonight.
It might be good, it might be bad. It won't be The Office and that's enough for me.
Thu 21/07/05 at 13:14
Regular
"8==="
Read about it.

Apparently it's treading familiar ground.

Comedy dates fast: This time 10 years ago we were watching Harry Enfield.
Thu 21/07/05 at 13:20
Regular
Gervais' whole ego thing is just an act.
Thu 21/07/05 at 13:42
Regular
I'll definetly be watching it. From interviews Gervais does seem like he's turned into a bit of an ass, doesn't make the programmes and stand up he does any less funny though.
Thu 21/07/05 at 13:48
Regular
I'll definitely be watching it. Thankfully I haven't seen any trailers, or even any interviews with him, so not really sure what to expect. Which is always the best way to approach something like this, I reckon.
Thu 21/07/05 at 14:08
Regular
"not dead"
Gervais has always been an ass though. When he was on the eleven o'clock show he was an ass. He was an ass in The Office. He's an ass in his stand-up. He hasn't suddenly got this massive ego, he's always had it.

I like the man, I find him funny, and I'll certainly give Extras a chance.

If it's crap, so be it, but I don't see the point in writing it off without seeing it. I reserve that right for Robin Williams movies.
Thu 21/07/05 at 14:10
Regular
"8==="
I think you're confusing someone with an ego with someone who doesn't give a ****.
Thu 21/07/05 at 14:15
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I never liked The Office, always thought it was a bit...dump (what an in-depth argument). Gervais just irks me a bit, but there's no reason why the right setting can't make his brand of humour appealing. I didn't like his stand-up routine (Animals?) that much, most of the jokes were pretty obvious, and his delivery a bit too samey for that length of time.

I'll watch this though, it's completely different to The Office/Animals(?)/11 O Clock Show, and reserve my judgement.

Oh, and he was the best thing on 11 O Clock Show by default, thanks to Iain Lee, McKenzie Crook, Ali "I Wasn't Funny Until I Got Me On Show" G, and that horrible, horrible bint who I can't remember the name of. Daisy someone I don't care.
Thu 21/07/05 at 17:28
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Looking forward to it. Not sure what to expect. I kind of imagine a British Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Going to watch it with a small group at a mates house tonight, should be cool.
Thu 21/07/05 at 17:34
Regular
Your Honour wrote:
> Thankfully I haven't seen any
> trailers

I have, and it increased my anticipation for the show even more.

The 'Brent-isms' are there, but it still looks absolutely fantastic. I loved the Office and I can see myself liking this as well.

"Been in Casualty?"
- "Yep"
"The TV series?"

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.