GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"gamecube vs xbox vs ps2"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 03/06/01 at 15:17
Regular
which of the next genaration consals do u think will end up the best?
Sun 03/06/01 at 16:25
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
No they didn't. After Rare made Goldeneye, a few of their developers left the company (including Dr. Doak) to make their own company (whatever it's called). This company then went on to make Timesplitters. I think you can tell it's not rare by the standard of the game.
Sun 03/06/01 at 16:30
Regular
"Randomly Appearing"
The_Vottanator wrote:
> No they didn't. After Rare made Goldeneye, a few of their developers
> left the company (including Dr. Doak) to make their own company
> (whatever it's called). This company then went on to make
> Timesplitters. I think you can tell it's not rare by the standard of
> the game.

Free Radicals
Sun 03/06/01 at 16:47
It is difficult to speculate on who will be the most popular of the three.

The X-Box hype has slowed down - the latest C&VG magazine barely gave it a mention, the discussion group can go days without posts, and as it has been previously stated on this thread it suffers cynicism from console and PC users alike. The software may also be too similar to PC or PS2 releases to give anything new or exciting.

PS2 will undoubtedly have a big share of the market. Sales are already ahead of PS1 at the same stage after that was released, and future games show a lot of promise. The inclusion of DVD has swayed a lot people into parting with their money and backwards compatability was a masterstroke - it will ensure steady future hardware sales when PS1 games dry up. This is further supported by a controller which much of the gaming country is used to.

GameCube will have excellent games as we would expect from Nintendo. But the GC, like X-Box may suffer from it's delayed release in this country. What may go in it's favour is the GBA and how that will be used in it's link up with GC. The transfer pack system used between GB and N64 was a bit of a disappointment, and hopefully Nintendo will have learnt from this. The GBA will sell by the bucketload, and good inter use with the GC will support the new machine. Discussion sites seem to show huge support for GC, but pricing may be a factor in it's success or failure(as it was with N64). N64 definitely had the quality edge over PS1 games, but lacked variety and supply. Again, Nintendo need to learn from their mistakes to have a successful long term.

My (hopeful) opinion is that PS2 and GC will both have success. They are likely to offer some differences in their style of software (as with PS1/N64), but only Nintendo can control whether their long term success can be ensured. They are unlikely to outsell PS2, but their is room for both to compete.

As for X-Box, well three's a crowd.
Sun 03/06/01 at 16:50
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I have a feeling its going to be the Gamecube. Plenty will no doubt argue against this but there seems to be an element of disappointment around the PS2. Obviously people had views like this from the start but now it seems that the hype is very much gone. Of course there are lots good games in the pipeline, but i think a lot of people were expecting loads of big quality titles by now.

I think Sony have shot themselves in the foot to an extent by making the PS2 so hard to make games for. One thing i've been wondering is wheres Westwood ? Wouldn't the PS2 benefit from a game like Red Alert 2 ? Makes you wonder if a few companies have been scared off cause of the difficulty of making games for this console.

Nintendo seem to be warming a lot more people back to it too, both the public and the games companies. This will no doubt add the mature audience titles to the existing Nintendo masterpieces that always sell. I think those two element combined could well draw the big crowd to the Gamecube.

I remember when i bought Zelda on the N64 on release day, i was lucky to get a copy because i was a bit stupid and didn't reserve one. Luckily i managed to find a place that had it and grabbed the last copy. Looking at the PS2, i can't see any title that is going to get that kind of sell out attention. Maybe i'm wrong and the PS2 is still all hype of players everywhere. But wherever i am i really don't see the PS2 sharing the same spotlight as the PS1.

Saying all this though, i think things will be a lot clearer when the Gamecube and X-Box are both released. Give it a couple of months after and we'll probably start seeing the result of this little battle ;-)
Sun 03/06/01 at 16:54
The_Vottanator wrote:
> Ok this is my true view-

By the time MGS2 and GT3 are out the
> Gamecube will probably be out as well and and no matter how much
> people say PS2 will be better, I say - NO CHANCE!!! Just wait for
> Perfect Dark Zero, Wave Race:Blue Storm, Metroid, and Rogue Squadron
> 2. You may say that they are just sequels to old games but so are
> MGS 2 and GT3. Anyway they are sequels to already great games.
> However, I have one doubt about PD Zero and that is that I have no
> idea how you improve on PERFECTion. Hold on a minute, I thought that
> about Goldeneye and then Perfect Dark came out. Oh well , I know I
> can trust rare to come up with something absolutely amazing. Just
> think of online play with PD Zero.

On the topic of next
> generation consoles I think that X-Box will just be a PC hooked up
> to a TV so I'm not going to be getting that. However, having said
> that, the PC does have some really great games but again, having
> said that, I already have a PC so why would I want another. In my
> opinion though it will still sell by the millions because it is made
> by microsoft, the definition of quality. The PS2 will also sell
> brilliantly (and already has) but only because of the success of the
> original playstation. I don't think it's all it's cracked up to be.
> Then we come to gamecube, the JESUS of them all. I don't think it
> will sell the most though. In fact I probably think both PS2 and
> X-Box will outsell it because whenever anybody thinks of Nintendo
> they immediately think of kiddies games. This is a shame because I
> think Nintendo and Rare (who only develop for nintendo machines)
> provide the best and most enjoyable video games around. I know which
> console I'm getting. I can't wait.

You've posted this exact same message before in another forum. Write something original:)
Sun 03/06/01 at 16:58
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
You're smart. Anyway I cut it down quite considerably. I just thought people might like to hear my view.
Sun 03/06/01 at 17:07
I can't really say which of the three consoles will be best.

When the Xbox and Gamecube are released, the PS2 will be over one year old, and a lot of the highly anticipated games will be out for it, such as GT3 and MGS2 will either be out or not far off. And also, the developers will have come to terms with the PS2 and will (hopefully) be churning out games that can rival and compete with anything that the Xbox and Gamecube throw at us.

Saying that, the same will eventually happen with the Xbox and Gamecube once they are out. And what's to say that they won't have brilliant launch games. I have seen a lot of posts praising certain games, although most of them Gamecube, with the likes of Mario and that'Perfect Dark Zero', which if they can improve on the original Perfect Dark, than it is bound to be brilliant.

The price's of the consoles could also have an affect. At the moment I am not sure about the prices of the Xbox and Gamecube, but I ampretty sure that when they do eventually come out, Sony will most likely drop the price of the PS2 to keep the competition alive.

At the moment, I am sticking by my PS2 because it has a great line up of games. This could change if the other two consoles impress, but until then, it's the PS2.
Sun 03/06/01 at 18:10
Regular
I reckon that sooner or later, MGS 2 will make it's way to the Gamecube.

It would be so easy to convert and basically easy money for Konami. They might even find time to put extras in.

As for a sequel to Goldeneye. It WAS Perfect Dark. I know one or 2 of the team went off to make Timesplitters on the PS2 (who knows, they might even convert that to the Gamecube too) but the rest of the team came up with Perfect Dark which was a great game even if it did suffer from slowdown in places and not make Goldeneye's impact.

The way I see it, most PS2 games can be converted quite easily to the Gamecube and Xbox, hopefully with better graphics and features.

So if the Gamecube is going to end up with the bulk of good PS2 and Xbox games and have plenty of exclusive blockbusters from Rare and Nintendo then it SHOULD come out on top.

I only wish Nintendo would grow up and ask Squaresoft to make games for them.

Nintendo: You've made games with Sony. We don't want you.
Squaresoft: Fine then, we never wanted to release Final Fantasy games on your childrens toy anyway!

Nintendo: Fine!

They both part. Once they're out of each others earshot they both start crying

Nintendo: I want Final Fantasy games , sniff
Squaresoft: sob, I wanted to make money on the Gamecube.

And all because of this petty arguing, us Nintendo gamers might never see a Final Fantasy game on the Gamecube.

It's just typical...
Sun 03/06/01 at 18:36
Dan uk wrote:
> I reckon that sooner or later, MGS 2 will make it's way to the
> Gamecube.

It would be so easy to convert and basically easy money
> for Konami. They might even find time to put extras in.

As for a
> sequel to Goldeneye. It WAS Perfect Dark. I know one or 2 of the
> team went off to make Timesplitters on the PS2 (who knows, they
> might even convert that to the Gamecube too) but the rest of the
> team came up with Perfect Dark which was a great game even if it did
> suffer from slowdown in places and not make Goldeneye's
> impact.

The way I see it, most PS2 games can be converted quite
> easily to the Gamecube and Xbox, hopefully with better graphics and
> features.

So if the Gamecube is going to end up with the bulk of
> good PS2 and Xbox games and have plenty of exclusive blockbusters
> from Rare and Nintendo then it SHOULD come out on top.

I
> only wish Nintendo would grow up and ask Squaresoft to make games
> for them.

Nintendo: You've made games with Sony. We don't want
> you.
Squaresoft: Fine then, we never wanted to release Final
> Fantasy games on your childrens toy anyway!

Nintendo:
> Fine!

They both part. Once they're out of each others earshot
> they both start crying

Nintendo: I want Final Fantasy games ,
> sniff
Squaresoft: sob, I wanted to make money on the
> Gamecube.

And all because of this petty arguing, us Nintendo
> gamers might never see a Final Fantasy game on the Gamecube.

It's
> just typical...

I very much doubt that the actual PS2 version of MGS2 will be released on the Gamecube. The Gamecube would more likely get it's own version.

And on the subject of 'Nintendo growing up', I completly agree. Just think how the N64 could have benefited from a Final Fantasy game.
Sun 03/06/01 at 18:39
Regular
Actually, part of the reason Nintendo is bitter towards Squaresoft is because Square never released a FF game on the N64.

Why didn't they?

Well a game that only just fits on 3 or 4 disks would never fit on 10 cartriges, let alone one. That's why squaresoft never even tried.

Now Nintendo is acting like a big baby instead of looking to the future!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.