GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nationwide Bank"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 20/07/05 at 10:06
Regular
Anyone here with them?

What the hell is thier problem with debit cards? I asked for my account to be upgraded so I could have a debit card and they said I havent enough money going in and out of my account for them to give me one. I mean, its MY money that id be spending, it wasnt like I was asking for a credit card or an overdraft or something. If they gave me one, id probably have more money in my account since id be able to sell my stuff on eBay.

Anyone here got a debit card from Nationwide, no hassle?

The basts...
Thu 21/07/05 at 12:50
Regular
I agree the online banking is awesome, which is why im going to stay with nationwide for that, but im going into town now to get a debit card with Abbey.

:)
Thu 21/07/05 at 09:40
Regular
"That's right!"
Yeah the online banking is cool, a few clicks and I've transferred 500 quid from my savings account to my "waste money on the internet" account.

My debit card will come in handy on holiday since I can withdraw money for free there, as someone else mentioned, so I don't have to take a wad of cash like last time (600 quid hidden in my bag)
Thu 21/07/05 at 01:22
Regular
I been with Nationwide for about 6 years now. Never had any problems. Thier online banking is sound as well. Got about 6 accounts i can access on there.
Wed 20/07/05 at 18:16
Regular
Thanks for that dude, think i'll go with Abbey or someone like you suggested for the Visa electron.

Hope it doesnt take too long to get through and stuff so I can start selling all my junk on eBay :D
Wed 20/07/05 at 18:09
Regular
You can open an account with no money (as long as you say you make money) and they'll give you a debit card, or in the case of Barclays they were keen to give me a credit card too. It depends whether you want a Solo or Switch (I think it's changing to Maestro now) or Visa Electron card.

Nationwide were the only one not to give me a debit card straight away. Abbey, Halifax, Barclays, Alliance & Leicester and Llyods TSB gave me Visa Electron. Natwest gave me Solo and HSBC gave me Switch with £100 cheque guarnteed (by William Shakespeare). I tend to use my HSBC switch card more as it's more accepted than Visa Electron. So I would recommend HSBC but I would prefer not to just incase they dont give you one. Maybe it you ask to apply specifically so you can have an account with a debit card.

If you're applying for a new back you need photo identification and some bills for proof of your address. My HSBC card expires after 3 years, Halifax only 1 year and 3 months for some reason :S

Yorkshire are another building society, I think you should use a proper bank, they dont mind as much whether you have a debit card or not. I'm guessing.
Wed 20/07/05 at 17:13
Regular
I dont really plan on travelling.. much...

Anyway, went back in today to re-apply for one, same thing again. Apparently im not earning enough this time and the reason Nationwide are a bit funny about freely giving them out like other banks is because thier debit card has a cheque guarantee aswell which could potentially put me hundreds of quid in debt/overdraft/whatever.

So... I need some recommendations as to what bank is good for a debit card. I went to Yorkshire bank for some application forms but it was closed (not a very good sign eh) and talked to a nice lady in Abbey who seemed to be able to approve me straight away if I bring some ID in.

Theres others too, Lloyds TSB, Halifax... blah blah...

Opinions, thoughts?
Wed 20/07/05 at 16:18
Regular
On the subject of Nationwide debit cards I saw in the newspaper today they charge nothing for ATM withdrawls and purchases abroad, where as the other major banks charge around 2.75% plus an additional charge of up to £4.50.

So yeah it's good to have a Nationwide debit card if you plan to travel kugkv :)
Wed 20/07/05 at 16:06
Regular
"Laughingstock"
It's a building society.
Wed 20/07/05 at 13:45
Regular
I have 8 bank accounts, a nationwide flexaccount is one of them, but yeah they only gave me a cash card. I'm guessing they dont want me to spend lots of money especially how widely accepted debit cards are these days.
Wed 20/07/05 at 12:22
Regular
Back in the day, when I worked for Glorious McDonalds for £3.65 per hour, I was able to get a full account with Switch Debit Card etc.

Shortly after I got a Mastercard with a £1000 limit.

This is with HSBC though, so it's rather pointless I guess.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.