GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Centrino vs Turion"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/07/05 at 20:32
"Majestic"
I’m thinking about getting a Laptop to see me through the basics of computing – I just want something that I can surf wirelessly with, something that’ll get me through typing long documents and a little bit of gaming on the side. I’m now faced with a decision that needs to be made pretty quickly. Here are the two candidates:

[URL]http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/320_253499.html[/URL]
This one is Centrino, with an 80 GB HDD, and a PCI-E X700 mobility.

For around 50 pounds more, I can go for AMDs attempt at the mobile laptop scene:

[URL]http://www.acernotebooks.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5021WLMi_LX.A4605.055/version-1.asp[/URL] this one sports the Turion 64 chip, around about the same speed as the Centrino above, a 100 GB HDD, and the same graphics card.

The Centrino’s mobo chipset, apparently, is an Intel 915PM where as the Turion 64 model has an ATI Mobility Radeon XPRESS 200, which sounds cooler, but I’ve no idea which one will be better. I’d imagine that Turion 64 should be better at playing games due to the 64bit processing, combined with that chipset – am I right in saying this?

50 pounds more buys me 64bit, which will allow me to run Windows XP at a later date, but it will probably loose in the battery war against the Centrino. The other benefits include a larger HDD, but I could manage nicely with the 80GB so this isn’t an issue really. So do we know if the Turion is any good? Any advice would be welcomed!

Thanks!
Tue 19/07/05 at 21:23
Regular
"bot"
DiscoDexy wrote:
> I’d imagine
> that Turion 64 should be better at playing games due to the 64bit
> processing, combined with that chipset – am I right in saying this?

Erm, unless it's a game that supports 64-bit...no.
And if you were going to run a game in 64-bit, you'd need a 64-bit OS, which won't be included with the laptop.

64-bit gives you better upgradability in terms of OS and software, but by the time 64-bit takes over the CPU will probably be comparitively slow anyway. If memory serves me games often run slower in 64-bit because of the lack of effective drivers on the platform.

DiscoDexy wrote:
> 50 pounds more buys me 64bit, which will allow me to run Windows XP
> at a later date

er...maybe you mean Windows x64?
The P-M is probably faster and they have the same graphics chip. Unless you're really desperate for 64-bit save your cash.
Tue 19/07/05 at 20:32
"Majestic"
I’m thinking about getting a Laptop to see me through the basics of computing – I just want something that I can surf wirelessly with, something that’ll get me through typing long documents and a little bit of gaming on the side. I’m now faced with a decision that needs to be made pretty quickly. Here are the two candidates:

[URL]http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/320_253499.html[/URL]
This one is Centrino, with an 80 GB HDD, and a PCI-E X700 mobility.

For around 50 pounds more, I can go for AMDs attempt at the mobile laptop scene:

[URL]http://www.acernotebooks.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5021WLMi_LX.A4605.055/version-1.asp[/URL] this one sports the Turion 64 chip, around about the same speed as the Centrino above, a 100 GB HDD, and the same graphics card.

The Centrino’s mobo chipset, apparently, is an Intel 915PM where as the Turion 64 model has an ATI Mobility Radeon XPRESS 200, which sounds cooler, but I’ve no idea which one will be better. I’d imagine that Turion 64 should be better at playing games due to the 64bit processing, combined with that chipset – am I right in saying this?

50 pounds more buys me 64bit, which will allow me to run Windows XP at a later date, but it will probably loose in the battery war against the Centrino. The other benefits include a larger HDD, but I could manage nicely with the 80GB so this isn’t an issue really. So do we know if the Turion is any good? Any advice would be welcomed!

Thanks!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.