GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"HL2 - Authentication required"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half-Life 2'.
Mon 25/10/04 at 08:39
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Marvelous. Damn marvelous.

[URL]http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/half-life-2/558931p1.html[/URL]

"Q. Will the boxed versions of HL2 require any sort of Steam installations?

Doug Lombardi: During installation the user will be prompted to authenticate the copy and create a Steam account. After that is complete, the single-player and LAN games do not require an Internet connection."

This is appalling policy. I do not have an internet connection at home, not even a land line (we both use mobiles) so it looks as if I'm not going to be able to play the game when its released.

It's going to foce me to use an illegal hack or pirated version to play.

Way to go Valve..............
Tue 26/10/04 at 15:55
Regular
"'i need a weapon'"
the silver boxed set will include so many gaes that basically all need steam to run on, i have counter strike which needs steam, but im not sure if hl2 will need steam directly
Mon 25/10/04 at 16:37
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Will i have access to HL:Source after registering with steam?
Mon 25/10/04 at 13:28
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Your Honour wrote:
> What is this Steam thing?

[URL]http://www.steampowered.com/[/URL]

Once you've installed Steam, all of the following features are available on your desktop and while you're playing Steam games.

EASY AND FAST ACCESS TO GAMES
After installing Steam, you'll have instant access to Valve's full library of games. And when you choose one to play, you don't have to wait for the whole thing to download -- you can start playing in a matter of minutes.

AUTOMATIC UPDATES
Say goodbye to game patches forever--they're a thing of the past. Steam will keep all of its games up-to-date for as long as you want to keep playing them. No more hunting for download sites just to get up and running!

INSTANT MESSAGING, EVEN IN GAME
Keep in touch with your buddies through "Friends," Steam's instant-messenger. It even works while you or your friends are playing games -- you don't have to stop playing to communicate.

SERVER BROWSER - FIND YOUR FRIENDS' GAMES
Now it's incredibly easy to find a quality game server -- one that's fast, that's running your favorite game, and even one that has your friends already playing on it.

PARLOR GAMES
Maybe you're dodging your homework. Maybe you're just bored while waiting for another turn in Counter-Strike. Either way -- why not enjoy a nice game of Chess? Or Checkers? Or Go? Or Hearts... Or....

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

No thanks. I'll pass.
Mon 25/10/04 at 13:16
Regular
What is this Steam thing?
Mon 25/10/04 at 13:08
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
They are going to lose mine. What's the point of buying a game I can't play? If they offered a telephone method, that shouldn't be so bad, but oh no, it's steam all the way. Perhaps I don't want to install steam as I have NO use for it (well, apart from HL2 authentication, but 1Gb reccomended for that is a joke)

*annoyed*
Mon 25/10/04 at 13:00
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
The irony is that a hack probably will become available pretty soon, and Valve will lose sales because of their paranoia.
Mon 25/10/04 at 11:57
Regular
Good point. That probably is the reason for it.
Mon 25/10/04 at 11:54
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Well if you kids didn't insist on pirating everything in sight, then this measure wouldn't be needed.
Mon 25/10/04 at 09:39
Regular
"Anger leads to hate"
Oh dear! That's put a downer on today! Muppets!
Mon 25/10/04 at 09:11
They should do what MS have done with OS authentication i.e. phone as well as net activation.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.