GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo build walls"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 18/07/05 at 17:03
Regular
And yes... I'm sure I could burn them down (ha ha). Arson joke 4456 out of the way. I thought I'd write a random Nintendo praising article cause I haven't done one for a while. *Shock* criticism at the end.

It is commendable on how Nintendo have bravely fought off Sony in the handheld war. Granted you can't call the PSP a failure. It is easily selling as much as the mega selling GBA SP did last year and there is no way that system ever struggled. Its launch has been solid worldwide (so far) and, to the untrained eye, Nintendo should be running scared.

Not a chance. In fact the release of the Sony PSP has tripled the handheld market in Japan with more gamers going for the small handheld systems than the big new machines. There are more adult handheld gamers, there are people previously uninterested in handhelds joining in (thanks mainly to the DS) and not to mention girls!

Lets take you back a few years. Nintendo could afford to struggle in the home console war. For starters returns on the software made up for any losses on the hardware but more importantly it was the handheld that kept Nintendo going.

When the GBA was released it sold through the roof. When the GBA SP was released that also sold through the roof. With no competition and even support from Microsoft owned company "RARE WARE", Nintendo were laughing. Wonderswan came and went, N-GAGE tried and failed, Gamegear tumbled and fell. It was a cruel Nintendo dominated world.

Then Sony wanted to play. The PSP, unveiled to the public 2 years before it was released, had everything. Music, movies, games, fantastic graphics and a lot of support. Short battery life aside, it was the system to give Nintendo an all important kick in the backside.

Iwata, the new Nintendo president responded with "Thanks for the 2 year head start Sony". Whatever did he mean?

Well the DS was unveiled at E3 2004, released that very Christmas in America and Japan and in both regions got a headstart over the opposition. Sony's limited Japanese launch did not help either. Nintendo cleared up, shifting (shockingly) 3 million GBA SP's and 2.5 million DS's worldwide. That is 5.5 million systems plus the obliguatary Nintendo game. Whilst Sony sold 500,000 PSP's.

In Japan it started off great but when the new year hit it started to change around. The PSP started to edge on weekly sales figures in Japan and by March it had sold its million. Then Nintendo released Nintendogs followed by a series of "non-games". And it spun around again.

The PSP was, by this point, supposed to have disposed the GBA SP. But that has failed as well. In America the GBA SP has outsold the DS AND the PSP (bar the PSP's launch period). A right royal shocker for both companies.

And In Japan the recent weekly sales figures says it all: PSP: 20,390 GBA SP: 11,176 and the Nintendo DS: 41,503. That is 52,000 handhelds shifted by Nintendo last week. The handheld market is in boom time in Japan.

Over here and the PSP has still not been released. The GBA SP and DS continue to rake in the money and potential customers and Sony are losing out.

A series of complex advertisement schemes and stratigically placed launches has help defuse any potential disaster for Nintendo. It is the most ingenious piece of advertisement blitz since Pokemon.

It makes you wonder why they cannot do it in the home console market. Then again, it appears, it is the handheld market where the money is really at.

Sony's European launch is in September. Not the most ideal time (but by no means bad). But come Christmas and again Nintendo are pulling out all the stops to hurt Sony and stop them clearing up.

Mario Kart DS and Metroid Prime DS has been hyped with free Demo's and advertisement slots. Not to mention Nintendo's first full online service launched this Christmas and Nintendogs, which could be as big as it was in Japan. Then, to top it all off, Nintendo make it even harder for Sony by releasing the GBA micro. ANOTHER Gameboy incarnation which idiots the world over will buy because it "looks cool".

When the Micro was unveiled you could just hear the sighs from Sony, having to face yet another Nintendo handheld related release.

The PSP has its work cut out for it even before it has left the gate. September and October will be fantastic, sales wise, for the PSP... that is before Nintendo's fight back begins. And Nintendo can afford to wait, after all the DS has enjoyed a massive 6 month head start.

It makes you proud to be a Nintendo fan. That is until you look at the Gamecube.

Bar the "Nintendo all stars tour" which will acchieve nothing. The Gamecube is being left to rot. Look at this forum and, Starfox, Killer 7 and Donkey Konga 2 has not really set our world alight. All we talk about is Zelda this and DS that. What else is there?

By supporting 2 handhelds in the fight to keep the handheld market Nintendo have neglected the Gamecube. Leaving it to rust. They're not even doing much to hype up Revolution.

Zelda... Geist... Pokemon err... King Kong? Any other games I should know about? And don't go giving me any Dance Dance Mario, Mario Baseball and Mario Strikers. Because this is just a shameless way to boost sales of a flagging system.

Nintendo I salute you for continually kicking Sony in the balls with either the DS in Japan or the GBA SP in America. The PSP is a top console and Nintendo is really making it difficult for Sony's new machine to get anywhere.

But surely you are big enough to realise you've left someone behind?

Dringo.
Tue 19/07/05 at 15:55
Regular
To be fair, I would reckon the GBA would be the best value for money until the PSP comes down in price.

I don't rate the DS at all, I do think it's poorly made, fragile and just plain awkward to use for 3D games. I am still of the opinion that it's simply a modern version of game and watch.

I'd agree that the PSP is a PS2 in a hand-held, but I fail to see why that's such a bad thing. When the PS2 was released I didn't head anyone predicting that it would be reproduced on such a small scale within 5 years.

It does have all the makings of being an excellent gaming device, exactly the same way the Sega Game Gear did. The Game Gear was much more accomplished technologically that the GB, but lost out through lack of uptake.

The DS has a few nice touches, but I don't think they have been utilised fully yet. A microphone is one thing, but accurate voice recognition hasn't been achieved on the current consoles yet, never mind an ARM7 Gba CPU. The touch screen could be novel, but eventually that novelty will wear off, especially if people don't start using it for things more than just point and click style ideas.

The industry is being stifled across the board by a lack of creativity. Hats off to Q Entertainment for Lumines and Meteos, just goes to show that the platform counts for squat as far as good games are concerned.
Tue 19/07/05 at 15:05
Regular
I see what Bonus is saying in regards to the DS. Although there are a series of very good titles (Kirby, Yoshi, Mario, Another Code, Pac Pix) etc... they aren't really worth the full price as they (bar Mario and Another Code), just expanded tech demos.

On the flip side the PSP is just a smaller version of a PS2 with a higher price tag... at least the DS is different.

I've played the DS and PSP a bit but don't actually own either! I have far more fun on the simple but deep 2D experiences on the GBA SP.

Give me Mario Vs. Donkey Kong any day of the week!
Tue 19/07/05 at 14:56
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Bonus wrote:
> Sitting a PSP, DS and Gba SP side by side, it wouldn't be hard to work
> out which of the three was the better made and most value for money.

You're referring to the PSP here, but it's quite clearly not.

I don't own a PSP, but I've played one, and they both look and feel very fragile in comparison to the DS. I'm sure that if you dropped it, there's a much higher chance that it'd break than if you dropped a DS or a GBA SP. Surely this console can't be "better made". You're just fooling yourself. Sony in gaming rarely, if ever, make any of their products "better" than the opposition, because they quite clearly don't.

And as for value for money, well, I really don't think the PSP can win in that category either, seeing as it is, really, just a PS2 in a smaller outfit. With the DS you're paying for something revolutionary and something completely different, and not just something which has been created for exactly the same purpose as that big black box that sits next to your TV. GBA SP is also better value for money because it's relatively cheap, and also has a huge back-catalogue of excellent games.
Tue 19/07/05 at 14:34
Regular
Clazon wrote:
> To an extent the above is true, but you've showed your true colours as
> a fan boy going a bit too heavy on the sledging and "war"
> comments.

That's what I am I am afraid. Although it is more a commendable comment on Nintendo's response to the PSP and criticism of ignoring the Gamecube than an attack on the rivals.
Tue 19/07/05 at 14:31
Regular
GBA SP... best value for money by far... and I'm being serious.

As for the N64 being a failure... what?

It didn't sell as much as the PS1 but it sold very well and made Nintendo a lot of money.
Tue 19/07/05 at 14:00
Regular
Sitting a PSP, DS and Gba SP side by side, it wouldn't be hard to work out which of the three was the better made and most value for money.

I still don't like the DS, and my PSP is getting some loving attention at the moment all because of lumines, that game rules.
Tue 19/07/05 at 13:57
Regular
*Buys a gizmondo* ¦^)
Tue 19/07/05 at 13:35
Regular
N64 was only a faliure in comparisson to Ps1. I peronsally would be quite happy if all Nintendo consoles were to the standard of N64, heck I'd be over the moon.

Fook the 3rd party support, I've got Goldeneye and Mario 64.
Tue 19/07/05 at 13:31
Regular
"thursdayton!"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> Popularity is a random, fickle thing. It's a shame Ninty have
> suffered so ... and it has nothing to do with whatever flaws in the
> console there are (and those the GC has are in no way comparable to
> it's poor sales)

I quite agree, but Nintendo after the N64 did not improve things for themselves with the Cube. Although popularity can be random, you had the established Playstation brand with the PS2 and it was out first. And have Nintendo learnt from this? No, as the Revolution will be out last of all the next-gen machines.
Tue 19/07/05 at 12:52
"period drama"
How are you classing failure, exactly?
In terms of sales, yes

But the N64 and the GC have produced so many awesome games - some of the best ever, in fact - that any owner will tell you, where it matters, there's been no failure.

Popularity is a random, fickle thing. It's a shame Ninty have suffered so ... and it has nothing to do with whatever flaws in the console there are (and those the GC has are in no way comparable to it's poor sales)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.