GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"region 1 vs region 2"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 03/06/01 at 04:58
Regular
hi to you all i'm a newbie but i have a discussion/debate on region 1 vs region 2.

i don't normally buy region 2 dvd's most of mine are region 1. i own about 45 to 50 region 1 and only 5 region 2 why you ask, well region 1 dvd's normally have more extras plus dts sound and are normally left uncut. take the matrix for example region 1 disk had a few more extras and was uncut but the rgion2 was missing a few extras and had some fight scenes cut.

anyway my point is that region 1 has almost always been better. until now

i've noticed that a few realese's now are better on region 2 than region 1. take south park for example. all the region 1 disk had was a few trailers. region 2 on the other hand had all the trailers and a music video.

another example the mask of zorro, region 2 had a whole hour long feature making of which wasn't on region 1.

this is happening more and more and soon the only thing that will seperate the region 1 and region 2 will be the realse date's. which i might add are getting closer.

crouching tiger hidden dragon for example, us release date is june 5th uk release june 18th.

so do any of you lot that post here buy region 1 disks or have anything to add.

oh and i suppose you wanna know if i'll still buy region 1. well yes i will, why cause it's still cheaper to get an import that why :)
Sun 03/06/01 at 04:58
Regular
"maximum homerdrive"
hi to you all i'm a newbie but i have a discussion/debate on region 1 vs region 2.

i don't normally buy region 2 dvd's most of mine are region 1. i own about 45 to 50 region 1 and only 5 region 2 why you ask, well region 1 dvd's normally have more extras plus dts sound and are normally left uncut. take the matrix for example region 1 disk had a few more extras and was uncut but the rgion2 was missing a few extras and had some fight scenes cut.

anyway my point is that region 1 has almost always been better. until now

i've noticed that a few realese's now are better on region 2 than region 1. take south park for example. all the region 1 disk had was a few trailers. region 2 on the other hand had all the trailers and a music video.

another example the mask of zorro, region 2 had a whole hour long feature making of which wasn't on region 1.

this is happening more and more and soon the only thing that will seperate the region 1 and region 2 will be the realse date's. which i might add are getting closer.

crouching tiger hidden dragon for example, us release date is june 5th uk release june 18th.

so do any of you lot that post here buy region 1 disks or have anything to add.

oh and i suppose you wanna know if i'll still buy region 1. well yes i will, why cause it's still cheaper to get an import that why :)
Sun 03/06/01 at 10:13
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
There's always the old 'do I see what you get on the region 2 version' dilemma - should you wait for it and compare the two or dive right in and get the US disc?

For older (or at least already released) films you can easily get on the net and see what extras you get on each and decide that way. Problem solved. But what about new releases?

Well there are 2 main situations that can arise. The disc will either be released in the UK shortly after in the US or quite a while after.

If its a short while away (say a couple of weeks at most) then you may be tempted to see what the region 2 version offers. My opinion would be that you're wasting your time. If the two discs are being released that close to each other then they almost certainly have the same extras on them.

However if there is a significant gap between the release dates, as there often is, then the decision isn't quite as easy. It's not uncommon for the UK release to have an extra extra (?) or two to try convince us that we aren't getting a raw deal. As an example I think R2 X-Men had a Titan AE trailer over the R1 version. Having said that, by the time X-Men was released in the UK Titan AE was already out on R1 (and the disc included a trailer).

Regardless of what dedicated importers (including myself) may rave on about, on the net new R2 discs can be bought slightly cheaper (a quid or two at most) than R1 discs so there is another very slight reason to wait.

The way I work is that, for close releases, I'll probably get the R2 version. The Mummy Returns discs, for example, will probably be released within a fortnight of each other, as it was at cinemas. For anything much beyond this time period I'll get the R1 version. Okay so you may occasionally lose out on a more-often-than-not missable extra but I'd choose that over months of waiting any day.
Sun 03/06/01 at 13:21
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
What is actually the point in one region DVD players. They allow you to switch regions to play different films. But many like Power DVD despite allowing you to play all region DVDs only allow you to switch regions a certain amount of times. Now what is the point in this!?! Why can't they just give you unlimited amounts of times you can switch regions. That's what I don't understand!
Sun 03/06/01 at 17:56
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
Rakuga wrote:
> What is actually the point in one region DVD players. They allow you
> to switch regions to play different films. But many like Power DVD
> despite allowing you to play all region DVDs only allow you to
> switch regions a certain amount of times. Now what is the point in
> this!?! Why can't they just give you unlimited amounts of times you
> can switch regions. That's what I don't understand!

I'm not sure who told you this or where you got it from but its complete rubbish.

Any modified player (chipped of firmware update) with a manual select wont restrict the number of region changes you can make and this also applies to nigh on every one of the many remote hackable ones.

In almost all cases the remote hack also stays as it is set even when the player is switched off so there's no need to do it each time you power up or have to leave it on standby all the time.

In case anyone is wondering there are no problems remotely like this with any of the players SR sell.

According to dvd.reviewer.co.uk the only player to resrtict the number of region changes is the Grundig GDV-100D (25 changes and then its fixed). There are one or two more but they are very old players and wont be on the shopping list of anyone anymore.

If you use a PC and the software restricts the number of changes then the answer is to use better (sorry, different) software. I must admit I've never heard of any such PC restriction before. Do you think you could of heard this from an anti-importer using scare tactics?
Sun 03/06/01 at 18:23
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Yes Power DVD pc software and another one I forget its name. Its ok with DVD players but not software... very strange. I hear you can download hacks to this though.
Sun 03/06/01 at 18:39
Where do you get your Region 1 disks from? I have bought a couple on eBay and I'm going to order from 'DVD Concepts' soon. Are there any other places worth trying?

Does anyone know if there is a web site (or book) that compares different region DVDs?
Mon 04/06/01 at 01:14
Regular
"maximum homerdrive"
i bought most of my region 1 dvd's from dvdboxoffice.com plus they take visa electron cards and they are a lot cheaper than region 2 dvd's like i bought titan AE for £12
Mon 04/06/01 at 08:32
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
DVD region 1 benefits:

Available months before the UK.

LOADS more features (fight club, the abyss, Gladiator, Requiem for a Dream)

Cheaper even with shipping (I bought requiem for $42 including 2 day shipping from the states, still cheaper than over here)

Better quality.

DVD region 1 negatives:

Er...none whatsoever.
Mon 04/06/01 at 18:17
DVD region 1 negatives:

Er...none
> whatsoever.

How about the fact that they are NTSC rather than PAL. That means the quality isn't as sharp on Region 1 Discs.
Mon 04/06/01 at 18:59
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
For region 1 DVDs I'd go with www.play247.com

They are very slightly more expensive than DVDBoxOffice (much cheaper for double discs though) but they are far quicker on delivery. I've waited for up to a fortnight after release for discs from them whereas Play deliver on the release date without fail.

As for the NTSC/PAL DVD quality difference I'll let an earlier post by pb explain:

pb wrote (in another thread):
Most DVD movies are not in PAL or NTSC unless they are TV movies or made for TV series.

The basic film on a DVD is not encoded for different TV signals, but converted by the DVD player itself. A TV that shows 60khz signal (i.e. most modern TVs) will show a movie perfectly. Anamorphic transfers will mean that whatever way you display the picture it should give you a good quality transfer.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.