GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Laptop-age is Afoot! (Advice Needed...)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/07/05 at 00:02
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
It's been a while, folks. But you guys seem to know lots of computer related things.

Been thinking about buying a laptop computer for a while now, and was wondering what you all might recommend. I've got about £700 exc. VAT, which I appreciate isn't a vast sum, but I'm not looking for the king of all notebooks here. Just something to while away the hours.

In my research, I've found Acer's and Tiny's to be the best value, with Tiny cheaper but with a less impressive service record, and Acer better quality but marginally more expensive. PC World just can't leave the Celeron M on anything lower than a grand and Dell insists on 40Gb HDD as standard, charging silly sums for upgrades.

So, if anyone knows of any good deals, or has any helpful suggestions, I'd appreciate it. As a kind of minimum, the spec I'd like is :

Intel Centrino (Or equivalent) 1.6Ghz +
60Gb+ Hard drive
512Mb RAM
15" Screen
ATi Mobility Graphics 128mb (Or equivalent)
DVD+RW drive
Wi-fi ready
Firewire & USB2 ports + 'Standard' connectivity (LAN etc)

So...thoughts?
Sun 17/07/05 at 13:03
Regular
"bit of a brain"
phuzzy I feel for you, man. As soon as you say "I need a laptop" everyone's all "get a desktop you don't need a laptop!".

It is incredibly simple to understand that if he's going to be travelling around the world in his gap year and needs a computer, he can't very well get a desktop. I can't actually believe anyone is even suggesting it.

Think about how incredibly stupid it would be to get a desktop instead of a latpop if he's travelling around for a year. If he says he needs a laptop he needs a laptop. Note that he also said that when he gets back and actually goes to Uni he'll be getting a desktop so you're stupid "All students think they need laptop" argument is just plain ridiculous.

Anyway, phuzzy, I suggest you get an Acer. If you can get an AMD Turion processor, that's your best bet. They're almost as good as a Pentium M and much, much cheaper (£200 odd). Make sure you go for the lower wattage model though (I think it's MT instead of ML, but check that). I wouldn't go for Tiny as they use cheapo components, which is why they seem like such good value.
Tue 12/07/05 at 21:02
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Something about although two processors could have equivalent clock speeds, the number of instructions each completes within a clock cycle varies greatly (or thats one part of it).
Tue 12/07/05 at 20:32
Regular
"bot"
Basically, Pentium-M CPUs have better architecture than desktop P4s.

You have to remember that clockspeed isn't a very good indication of performance. For instance, the Athlon FX57 is 2.8GHz but it can quite easily own the top P4 models in 95% of cases despite being 1GHz+ slower.
Tue 12/07/05 at 20:04
Regular
Damarus wrote:
> OddToe wrote:
> 1.6ghz is just a pile of ass.
>
> No it's not, a centrino 1.6 is equivalent to a pentium 2.5 (ish).

I never knew that, could you explain how/why?
Tue 12/07/05 at 18:58
Regular
"bot"
I don't quite understand why you need a laptop for a gap year.
Are you just going to walk around carrying your laptop under your arm and then stop at benches occasionally to do....erm...something with it on your knee? Like, type a bestselling novel while on the move!
Tue 12/07/05 at 17:54
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Gamesfreak : I did wonder when the 2nd and 3rd replies were unimportant to what I had asked. I didn't realise it was mainly 'phi11ip' however.

Icarus : I had a whole nice reply written out, belittling your need to pick fights where they're not wanted and argue your point, but I deleted it. Even this was longer, but meh, if thats what you think, fine. You're wrong though ;)

Tyla : Damn you man! I want that piece of kit! Shame about the old monetary factor. I don't think I could spend that much on that machine without testing it against a rock or something.
Tue 12/07/05 at 14:31
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Finally just bough a new laptop. ALmost went for a 12" iBook, but eventually picked up a Panasonic Toughbook CF-T2. Totally sexy, touch screen goodness and virtually indestrutable... Price tag... £1800!;)
Tue 12/07/05 at 13:32
Regular
*shrug*

I knew this would happen as soon as phi11ip posted.
Tue 12/07/05 at 13:17
phuzzy wrote:
>Jumping to conclusions. This place hasn't changed much. It shouldn't really matter to any of you why
>need one, since all I asked for was some selection advice. So far 1 person has supplied that. And the fact I'm travelling a fair bit in less than a months time means a laptop is much better than a desktop, and I said I would get a desktop when I return...

Jeez, some people still need it spelt out for them. I'm building on the well known fact that whenever a student thinks uni, they think travel. And eventually arrive at LAPTOP. No other solutions considered. I mean, are you really going to use your laptop while you're trekking? And if your "Travel" involves staying in some quiet room in after hours, you're not really travelling, are you?

>...evidently though, you didn't read.

I did, hence the humour of your classic "I'm a student" stereotype. "something handy for uni" translates in the real world to "I don't REALLY need one... but I wouldn't mind" reason. "Easier connection to consoles on net" has never been done before - praise to that - but equally as retarded in your holy grail for a viable reason. Music? What's that, you can't do that already? COURSE YOU CAN.

>"partly for something to run heavier programs a bit faster without being tied to a desk"

This is another misunderstanding. Think of places where you would use a laptop comfortably and within environmental conditions. Coffee shop. Library. Your room. Wait a sec, libraries have PCs? It's like we're in the 21st century or summink.

Coffee shop? Do you really want to be labelled as one of those numpties who has a coffee while chatting to a (physically present) mate AND surfing the web at the same time? Or worse still, on you own??? COURSE YOU DO.

Then, to top things off:
"I said I would get a desktop when I return..."

Indeed.

Like I said, the Powerbook will suit your needs perfectly. When in doubt, refer to the Student Laptop Checklist:

a) shows you're not a geek, yet computer savvy
b) conforms to your average "chic" student stereotype

You're made for iLife mate.
Tue 12/07/05 at 12:37
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
lcarus wrote:
> Haha. In the "What a new student should think about" guide,
> the first thing that comes to mind is a laptop. After all, YOU NEED A
> LAPTOP for uni. Taking a subject that doesn't need computer use often?
> Forget it, YOU NEED A LAPTOP.

One of the various reasons I gave. Argh!

> Current PC feeling a bit slow? There are some excellent desktops,
> many which are portable (Shuttles) but - wait - YOU NEED A LAPTOP.
> Why? Because you're a goddamn student. Hell yeah!

What's with the student fixation!! I'm not trekking a Shuttle and a monitor and peripherals round on me gap year!

> Get a Powerbook.

phi11ip wrote
> Break in's and knifings and frogs, oh my!

I take back what I said about campus control being crappy. I don't blame them for leaving the hell alone, I'd be outta that place too!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.