GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why Dreamcast is Great!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 02/06/01 at 22:22
Regular
Costs less than £100.

Online network - Dreamarena. Send email, surf the web and play games online!

An incredible selection of games all at startling value!Here's a list of just 20 essential purchases:

Quake 3 Arena, Metropolis Street Racer, F355 Challenge, Le Mans 24, Crazy Taxi, Virtua Tennis, Soul Calbur, Shenmue, NBA 2K, Daytona USA 2001, Samba De Amigo, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, Sonic Adventure, Ready 2 Rumble 2, Phantasy Star Online, Grandia 2, Toy Racer, Skies of Arcadia, House of The Dead 2, and Resident Evil: Code Veronica.

At least ten must have future titles:

Crazy Taxi 2,
Sonic Adventure 2,
Virtua Tennis 2 - renamed Sega Sports tennis 2k2
Shenmue 2
Headhunter
Half Life - we can pray can't we?
NBA 2K2
PSO version 2
Virtua Fighter 4 - if Dreamcast can hande it
The rest!

Dan 2K1
Sun 03/06/01 at 12:57
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Whats there to argue about of course its a ten worst games list!
Sun 03/06/01 at 12:56
MJswerve wrote:
> Even my topics are better than this and that is saying something.
> Shame ...shame on you Dan 2k1

It was an effort to write a worst 10 games list.
Sun 03/06/01 at 12:55
MJswerve wrote:
> Even my topics are better than this and that is saying something.
> Shame ...shame on you Dan 2k1

Thanks - have you not read the message JUST NOW?

In response to SkyScrapers comments?
Sun 03/06/01 at 12:53
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Definately!
Sun 03/06/01 at 12:52
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
Even my topics are better than this and that is saying something. Shame ...shame on you Dan 2k1
Sun 03/06/01 at 12:51
Do you agree with my corrections? (See 3 msg below)
Sun 03/06/01 at 12:50
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
I'm still here!
Sun 03/06/01 at 12:47
Did I scare anyone off?
Sun 03/06/01 at 12:18
Before I wow you with my ghastly statements, I would just like to say how fantastic your reply was 'SkyscraperDanClub', and how accurate and totally realistic and truthful it seemed to me. I won't though because you've clearly had no experience of the Dreamcast. 'Dreamcast' not Sega Saturn - get it?

SkyscraperFanClub wrote:
> I beg to differ.

You better keep begging boyo, cos this pile of tripe just ain't good enough.

Quake III Arena, Le Mans 24 Hours, Half-Life
-
> All PC games anyway, and far better on the original
> format.

Erm, well no. Le Mans 24 Hours on the PC is rubbish. JUST COMPARE THE SCREENSHOTS ALONE. You've either never had the pleasure to play the Dreamcast version, or you need to see an optition FAST. So you'd know if the PC version of Half Life was better than the Dreamcast one? Clever that. Quake 3 Arena on the Dreamcast suffers online from zero-lag. I don't know how they've done it, but I much prefer fragging from the comfort of my bed.

Daytona USA 2001, Crazy Taxi (2?), House of the Dead 2,
> Virtua Fighter 4
- Maybe worth a pound or two in the arcades, but
> £30 for games that get old that quickly? I think
> not...

Err, Daytona USA 2001 getting old quickly? Don't tell me you've played something fresher than Daytona USA? This game has only just been released! What are you on about? Crazy Taxi, not really - this is the best Dreamcast game so far, and has more longevity than a warehouse of fairy liquid. It's on PS2 now, and a year and 3 and a bit months on after the original release, it's selling incredibly on the PS2. Check the charts on Wednesday http://www.chart-track.co.uk
and House of the Dead 2 is worth every bit of th £24.99 I paid for it, seeing as it came with the official light gun in the box set. Err, so you'd know about Virtua Fighter 4 then? Seeing as I put it in possibler future games, I really don't think you're in the position to judge whether it's worth £30 or not. And no, none of these games get old quickly. Tut tut.

Redy 2 Rumble 2, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, Resident Evil:
> Code Veronica, Sonic Adventure, Grandia 2, 'Virtua' anything...
-
> Sequel after sequel after sequel after sequel. Yawn. Even if you
> wanted to you could play most of these on a PlayStation 2
> anyway.

Ready 2 Rumble 2 is indeed on PS2, but it's a mighty fine game, much better than the first! How can ANYONE even dare to yawn at the amazing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2? Are you insane? RE:CV was a breakthrough in terms of Resident Evil. With superb graphics, believable acting and true 3D backgrounds, it's still a superb game to play. Sonic Adventure - the first true 3D Sonic game. Don't even try to convince anyone that this is poor. Grandia 2. Same again. Ask FM - it's one of the best RPG games out there. Virtua Anything? Well, there have been just 3 Virtua games on the Dreamcast - Virtua Striker - yes rubbish, so I didn't mention it, Virtua Fighter 3tb - a game that many still find impressive, although i'm not a huge fan, and of course the fantastcic Virtua Tennis.

For your information only Ready 2 Rumble 2 is on PS2 out of those, and hartdly counts as 'most'. Although RE:CV may see the light of day, or pitch black of night as it were, on Sony's beast of a machine.

Dreamarena
- Yeah, I'm going to shell out for an
> overpriced keyboard, mouse etc...

Ok. £9.99 for the keyboard? £12.99 for the mouse? Overpriced? You ok?

to play with interminable lag on
> poor games,

ChuChu Rocket may have lag, but who cares - everyone cheats on it if they lose, but Quake 3 Arena has no lag, Worms World Party has no lag, Planet Ring - undisputably the greatest collection of online games whereby you can talk to peoplelike Tsunami from Holland over the microphone and in Dream Dorobo, that has no lag, so where are you getting your info from? Do not base it purely on Sonic Team's silly puzzle game! Which is actually a very good offline game.

or access the Internet in a far inferior manner to that
> which I currently use.

Well, I agree not many people will use the net through this if they have a faster network access on another system - like a PC. But if you have no PC, then the Dreamcast is the least expensive way to surf the web - it's not that bad at all. Except you cannot get to SR's site through it.

At any rate, the Dreamcast has no original
> games of any value for Internet play. Quake III Arena, Half-Life
> Counterstrike, Unreal Tournament, Ultima Online etc... All on the PC
> thankyou very much.

Yep and only one of those mentioned is on the Dreamcast. You weren't thinking straight were you...

Conclusion:
Sega's Dreamcast was dated from
> the moment it was released, with Sega's usual dreary collection of
> churned sequels and pale imitations of popular games from more
> successful systems.

Absolutely bull.
The Dreamcast's collection outshines anything still today - even games on PS2 cannot compare with. Although they will someday.

The Dreamcast is not great.

Your view perhaps. Based on false information derived from wherever you chose to make it up.

It's cheap, but that
> does not make it great.
It is cheap, but it is also the best value for money machine around, and it's a superb piece of kit.

If you want great, there's a great console
> on the PlayStation 2, or the greatest gaming system in a behemoth PC
> (if you have nearly £1000 to spare, that is).

Do you not see my point? Not everyone can afford these. You have wasted my time, however You have been an excellent way to allow me to correct you. Mwah.

To be honest,
> even if I was buying a cheap console (not likely) I'd probably plump
> for a PSOne over a Dreamcast.

Fair enough.

Anyone agree?
Sun 03/06/01 at 12:15
I am asking not you!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.