GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is gaming at a halt?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 02/06/01 at 21:49
Regular
Haven't all of you notice how quiet the gaming industry is now?
The N64 is churning out the last few games in it's life, the Dreamcast is suffering from it's near death, it's basically not bringing out very good games at the moment some developers are giving up on the machine and the PS2, well all the fans can say is wait for MGS 2 and GT3 what else is there to wait for this year? I haven't seen that many groundbreaking games since around Christmas time when it first came out.
We all seen the GameCube in E3 but for Europe it's not even a few months away from reality itself.

The main problem is that if we release a lot more games, do you expect all of them to be great?
No you can't, you can't expect all of them to be great you have to have some rubbish games to fill the gap while we wait for the big ones to come out. Somehow they are able to add new characters to the game and improve the graphics bit, we still buy the games don’t we?
The problem with the Gaming industry now is that some developers are having problems thinking of new ideas.
After one revolutionary game such as Goldeneye we get an everlasting number of clones, but that isn’t always a bad thing, Goldeneye made sure that 3D shooters could become the most popular genre around and it has been of course copied again and again, so when will this genre ever run out of steam? It hasn’t of course because this genre is a very popular one amongst mainly the Male gamers, and that is a lot.
Just adding new levels and improved graphics is enough for us gamers to not notice that these games are exactly the same except a few new features!

In most machines these days, all that changes is the specs and we look at that the most, because without specs we wouldn’t have great graphics! Groundbreaking games are released now and then but the quality of the games are pretty low compared to the good old games such as the very first Sonic that came out because games were simply a new thing back then, and technology wasn’t exactly our high point. But today I think that gaming isn’t advancing to new heights like the technology is at the moment, I expect a few more original games that include a bit more imagination in them, I expect many developers know what I’m talking about, eh Shigsy? Anyone seen Animal Forest, it has Nintendo’s childish ‘type’ graphics but Shigsy’s idea is to have the family involved in it! Great! If that isn’t the way to go for designing new and original games what is?

I look forward to the GameCube a lot not because it is very powerful, but I expect some surprising stuff to turn up on that machine. We can still have sequels around in the future but some Deus Ex type games are needed to make the gaming boat a bit more stable because people are losing precious time bringing out clones all the time, of course they make more money out of selling sequel after sequel of a series that begins great and ends up exactly the same game in the sequel, but they know we expect a bit more than improving the graphics of games to make them more realistic. Realism of games is cool, but not all games can be realistic because some of their ideas are crazy! Look at Microsoft’s Malice for the X-Box!
But realism doesn’t mean we don’t buy the games, whether or not it is playable or not we can’t play a game that has been rendered beautifully and you can’t play it for that long.

The whole concept is to enjoy the game, the graphics is an extra piece of the jigsaw that catches our eye all the time, and it’s like the selling point of whole games!
So will we fix the problems with game shortage and more original games? The future will tell when the next console machines are out, not when the next Pentium processor is out!

Keep an open mind on what games you buy! Whether or not you haven’t played the genre before you may be surprised to find it good.

Have a good day
Sniper
Wed 06/06/01 at 23:39
Regular
Not the most orginal bunch of games i've seen, you know what i mean, and they won't be any good even if they look good!
Wed 06/06/01 at 23:36
Regular
Gaming at a halt?? PS2 fans only go on about MGS2 and GT3?? What a load of tosh!!!

I am a PS2 owner and admittedly am looking forward to playing those two games, but they are not the only games which I am looking forward to. You might have missed the small matter of ZOE, Shadow of Memories, SSX, Madden 2001, F1 2001, Kessen, Winning Eleven 5, Extermination, Onimusha, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, EXO, Good Cop Bad Cop, Deus Ex, Max Payne, Half Life, Wipeout Fusion, Herdy Gerdy, Silent Hill 2 and many more. The problem you have there is, how many people do you know that can afford to buy that many computer games acroos the entire life of a console, never mind before next summer, and that is before the PS2s online revolution begins!!
Wed 06/06/01 at 23:30
Regular
Well at least people are posting in here. I would like to thank you all!
Wed 06/06/01 at 23:23
Playability is definately the way forward, just last night I was marvelling at what a truely original and groundbreaking Game Mario64 is, and yet in the 6 years that have followed no game has touched it, no clones (At least nothing near enough to its quality to call a clone!).

Mario64 has simplistic graphics, but incredible gameplay due to a great control system, good learning curve and superb level design. This is know doubt why Sniper is looking forward to the GameCube. I love FirstPersonShooters, Perfect Dark and Goldeneye are great however I sometime want a great Platform game to take me away from the violence and head shots and back to my gaming roots.

A new Mario game on the Gamecube cannot come soon enough :-)
Wed 06/06/01 at 23:21
Regular
Sigh and i did it during exams.
Wed 06/06/01 at 22:41
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Grandprix wrote:
> I had a friend who was absolutely in love with Quake but I
> personally didn't see the attraction. Its a glorified shoot em up.

Isnt that a bit like saying that Footbal is just a glofied way of kicking a ball between two white sticks? :)
Wed 06/06/01 at 22:17
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I had a friend who was absolutely in love with Quake but I personally didn't see the attraction. Its a glorified shoot em up.
Wed 06/06/01 at 22:08
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Good Post old chap!

Shame it never won, but hey thats cheese I mean life
Wed 06/06/01 at 22:05
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Zeldapro wrote:
> I played Quake but I didnt really like it!

Did you play by yourself... or with other peeps?
Wed 06/06/01 at 22:04
Regular
""
Actually ............. I don't but sssshhhhhhhhhh!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.