GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why new games need some improvement"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 02/06/01 at 21:45
Regular
Game sequels are meant to be improved versions of the game, not just having a number put on the end or having the number made bigger! Take Gran Turismo 3 for instance. Gran Turismo 3 has 150 cars? What a joke! This should be called FAST TURISMO! The whole idea of a sequel is to improve on past games, hence it should have more cars (Not less!), more manufacturers, more tracks, and most important of all, ONLINE PLAY! Not just a few touched up graphics. Its about the realism of the car that counts! Not just how good the cars look. It should all be about handling, speed and pyshics. Better graphics won't make the game last longer, be more fun or feel more real. Companies now days just take big name games and add a number to the end. I mean, look at the Army Men series, around 5 sequels and its still as s***e as ever. Thanks to Bobdefish for giving me the idea!
Tue 05/06/01 at 15:02
GT3 has got a lot more realistic handling and physics
SO THERE!
AND WHATS THAT FAST TURISMO ALL ABOUT? so you wanna be witing another 3 years or somet just so that you can have some more cars? You are making a good point but if if developers took into account all the things that you have mentioned when making a game then gfames like GT3 would take about 10 years!
Sun 03/06/01 at 15:29
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
The next Gran Turismo should be online but GT3 would'nt have been designed to include any online abilitys as the internet is still along way off. We might see the internet by the end of the year, but as we live in the UK we are always the last to get stuff(Japan and America will get it first, we are normally first in Europe).

So if GT3 did include a load of online abilities it will be hidden away for half a year and there would be no point.

If you want to look at a list of cars for GT3 then go to

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/gran_turismo_3.txt
Sun 03/06/01 at 13:06
There was actually a reason for there being less cars in GT3.
Of the 600 cars in GT2, a lot of them were crap, with cars that we see every day in it. They decided to cut out all of the pants cars and leave in the powerful ones, which makes sense if you ask me. And besides, as Adrian said, it would have taken them ages to get in 600 or more cars, and this would have meant us waiting even longer for the game, and I don't think that's what ecerybody wants after the amount of time they have already been waiting for it.
Sun 03/06/01 at 12:56
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I think games like Grand Prix 3 shouldn't have a predetermined end because after one season what is there left to do?
Sun 03/06/01 at 12:15
Regular
"Whatever!"
Not at the moment, there is no means for online features!! However Ive heard that the next installment of GT will feature online functions!!
Sun 03/06/01 at 12:03
But shouldn't the game have online capabilities? I mean think about it, wouldn't it be great if there was online garages where you can buy new models or new cars altogether?You could even sell them to your freinds over the internet. Perhaps online racing to. You could bet each other money (in the game) that you'll win races. You could goto different countries using the internet to race on new tracks.
Sun 03/06/01 at 11:48
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Instead of hours I actually meant days. So the 160 cars in GT3 took over 2200 days to make while the 600 in GT2 took only 600 days. It would take 8400 days to make the 600 cars in GT2 to put them into GT3.

More cars or more tacks doesnt mean that a sequel is better. GT3 is a sequel becuase its such an improvement visiually and physically. The PS2 is capable of calculating much more physical calculations than PS1.

It would be nice to have all of the cars from GT2 in the game so the total is 600 but it would take 8400 days to make. So if 1 man worked on them it would take over 23 years. A team of 25 people could make the cars in just under a year.

GT3 includes better Rally racing, F1 cars, wet weather racing e.t.c. It looks and feels better than any other racing game. When you modify your car it will sound and handle different. When you lower the cars suspension e.t.c it will make a difference in the handling. All of these features make GT3 better than the previous games.

The number of cars maybe a disapointment for some but the cars are the best ones. You do find the cheap budget cars that start you off but you get some nice motors that you wouldnt get to drive normally. Having 10 variations of one model of car in GT1 and 2 isnt that good. When you look at GT2 and take the 600 cars alot of these will be the same but have a different number of doors or its from a previous year. The only difference between them is 5kg or one can be turned 10 BHP more than the other. To me this isnt a different car its just a different spec. GT3 gets rid of this which to me is a good thing, if I was going to get a R34 Skyline I would only get the best and not the 2nd to best.
Sun 03/06/01 at 11:34
Regular
You should read again what Adrian said, and maybe you`d begin to understand. It isn`t about making things bigger. As Adrian said, the AI is better, the handling and other effects all add to the realism. As for the number of cars, there are less versions of exactly the same thing, which means there are just as many makes of car, just less different models of the same car. I think that is a very good thing.

I can understand that size matters in an RPG or something. Final Fantasy is big, and thats really good, however, they don`t make it so big that they sacrifice quality.
Sun 03/06/01 at 09:28
GT3 has about 160
> cars. Cars in GT3 took 2 weeks to make,cars in GT1 and 2 took 1 day
> to make. It would have to over 2200 hours to make the cars in GT3
> while about 600 hours for GT2.

That is not the point. They shouldnt make the game less than it could be just because it takes too long. If they want the game to sell more the sequels should be bigger than the one before.
Sun 03/06/01 at 09:19
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
QuakeTheRoom wrote:
> Game sequels are meant to be improved versions of the >game, not just having a number put on the end or having >the number made bigger! Take Gran Turismo 3 for instance >Gran Turismo 3 has 150 cars? What a joke! This should be >called FAST TURISMO! The whole idea of a sequel is to >improve on past games, hence it should have more cars(Not >less!), more manufacturers, more tracks.

GT3 has about 160 cars. Cars in GT3 took 2 weeks to make,cars in GT1 and 2 took 1 day to make. It would have to over 2200 hours to make the cars in GT3 while about 600 hours for GT2.

GT3 has better A.I, better handling, and more or about the same number of courses. There a new courses, the Oil Change, wet weather racing. Loads of race championships to win e.t.c. The problem with GT1 and 2 is that they had about 10 variants for some of the cars, the only difference was the engine size. There are are only the 160 cars but they are all different not like with GT1 and 2. I know there is some cars that arent in GT3 that were in GT2 that should be in but GT3 IMO is a sequel. As GT3 offers the RUF cars instead of them being on old style Porsches they now include, the brand new 911 and Boxster.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.