GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo announce Christmas campaign"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/10/04 at 14:36
Regular
Hot on the heels on the very successful Donkey Konga (many average everyday people have heard of the little gem) Nintendo have confirmed a massive camapaign for the GBA (With Mario Party, super Mario Ball, Mario Vs. Donkey Kong and Zelda that is not surprise) and a campaign that concentrates on the upcoming Metroid Prime game, Echoes.

Nintendo are campaigning their home systems with new bundles. The "Mario Kart" bundle of last year for the Gamecube has had a price cut to £79 (so includes a game now) and features a Platinum coloured Gamecube. The already released Donkey Konga bundle features a game, a Gamecube, a controller and a set of bongo's for just £89.

This is coupled with 3 new GBA's. The Pink GBA to appeal to the female gamer, the Gold GBA that is bundled with The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap and a red and silver GBA that is bundled with the upcoming classic Mario Vs. Donkey Kong.

All very nice and Nintendo are stating how they want to continue the 20% rise on Gamecube sales over last year.

What I am glad about is that they are putting a lot of emphasis on Metroid Prime. Teaser ads, television ads, postcard campaigns etc... etc... the usual Nintendo lot will promote the game. Just around the launch of Halo 2 as it happens.

What I am let down about is they are putting NO emphasis on Paper Mario 2. It is brave for Nintendo to fight their oppositions with an adult game (a real adult push this Christmas)... but I honestly believe they can make a very good profit with Paper Mario 2 (as it be a kids game). This be a £5 million UK advertisement campaign.

Oh well, Prime looks fantastic anyway and it will appeal to a larger audience.

Go tendo.
Tue 26/10/04 at 19:48
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Dringo wrote:
> Hot on the heels on the very successful Donkey Konga (many average
> everyday people have heard of the little gem)

And they all go:

"wtf is with that stupid monkey ad that makes no sense and says Nintendo at the end?"

And then when they understand it:

"Ahahahaha bongos? That's like, totally gay."
Tue 26/10/04 at 19:55
Regular
"8==="
Merm wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> Hot on the heels on the very successful Donkey Konga (many average
> everyday people have heard of the little gem)
>
> And they all go:
>
> "wtf is with that stupid monkey ad that makes no sense and says
> Nintendo at the end?"
>
> And then when they understand it:
>
> "Ahahahaha bongos? That's like, totally gay."

I think Dringo got the words the wrong way round. He meant to say: "the very average Donkey Konga (many successful everyday heels have heard of the little people gems).

'Little people' being the Japanese and 'gems' being the Ninty games better than DK (ie all of them).

This goes to show Dringo is the RACIST COMMIE we always thought he was!!!!!!111111
Tue 26/10/04 at 20:10
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
And please don't start up the casual gamer/part-time gamer thing.
Just because someone else isn't as interested as you or doesn't have as much money to spend on games as you, it doesn't mean their opinion is any less valid.
Tue 26/10/04 at 20:30
Regular
Donkey Konga is not only good fun, it has sold well and has been noticed by the casual gamer.

My brother invited 5 friends over for a Pro Evo 4 tourny. None of them are big gamers, just casual pro evo players.

They popped in my room to say hi and 3 of them turned, saw the bongo's and yelled "YOU GOT IT!" and "THIS LOOKS SO FUN". With that they played it for 3 hours and I didn't get to bed till gone 2.

They loved it.

Nintendo were right to advertise it.
Tue 26/10/04 at 20:33
Regular
Merm wrote:
> And please don't start up the casual gamer/part-time gamer thing.
> Just because someone else isn't as interested as you or doesn't have
> as much money to spend on games as you, it doesn't mean their opinion
> is any less valid.

Casual gamers are influenced by what they see on the tele.

The fact that the pretty good Donkey Konga has dramatically outsold Pikmin 2 shows this. Pikmin 2 is a sublime game, one of Nintendo's finest but was barely advertised in Europe.

Whilst Donkey Konga is very good, not on par with Pikmin but a decent game... yet it does not deserve this attention over Pikmin.

The reason why it does is because it has a quick sell idea, has a big name behind it and has been advertised with a £750,000 campaign.
Tue 26/10/04 at 21:11
Regular
Do these teaser ads/everything else happen to be US only?
Tue 26/10/04 at 21:13
Regular
Rickoss wrote:
> Do these teaser ads/everything else happen to be US only?

No UK only.

Hence the £5 million.

US be dollers :P
Tue 26/10/04 at 21:15
Regular
Ooooh, I haven't seen any yet. Damn my none-owning of special TV.
Tue 26/10/04 at 22:11
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Dringo wrote:
> They popped in my room to say hi and 3 of them turned, saw the
> bongo's and yelled "YOU GOT IT!" and "THIS LOOKS SO
> FUN". With that they played it for 3 hours and I didn't get to
> bed till gone 2.

Ahahahaha.
I actually laughed when I read that.

I'm not debating that it happened or anything, I'm sure it did, but still. It's like one of those cheesy infomercials with the people who can't stop smiling.

"WOW! THIS LOOKS GREAT!"
"Yeah, Barbara, and the best thing is THIS FEATURE..."
"That's AWESOME, Dave, I JUST CAN'T WAIT TO BUY IT."
Tue 26/10/04 at 22:16
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Emphasis on paper mario 2 over MP2 would be foolish.

Nintendo knows this.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.